Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2013, 10:22 AM   #1861
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help. Aren't all the 23 spline input shafts for the older gear driven cases? Is there anything I can do to upgrade/beef up my taco case other than cryo treat some (or all?) the parts?

Also, I know I'd have to get different length drive shafts. Is it difficult to cut/remove the old u-joint and weld up my own and have a shop balance them? Should I just buy some beefed up aftermarket parts and proceed with the aforementioned welding/balancing? Or am I better off just ordering some?

Lastly, Marlin? Inchworm? Or pick a color?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #1862
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Thanks for the help. Aren't all the 23 spline input shafts for the older gear driven cases? Is there anything I can do to upgrade/beef up my taco case other than cryo treat some (or all?) the parts?
Yep...get a v6 t-case.

Quote:
Also, I know I'd have to get different length drive shafts. Is it difficult to cut/remove the old u-joint and weld up my own and have a shop balance them? Should I just buy some beefed up aftermarket parts and proceed with the aforementioned welding/balancing? Or am I better off just ordering some?

Not too bad to do yourself. Stick with the stock Toyota components...they are strond like bull. Theres a reason they make D60 axle to Toy driveshaft flanges.

Quote:
Lastly, Marlin? Inchworm? Or pick a color?
Components are identical. Theres a few threads out there comparing early inchworm and Marlin stuff, but they are the same now, except for a slightly different oiling method on a bearing in the Marlin case. A bearing I have yet to see fail due to lack of lubrication.

Otherwise they are identical. Same double row 32 ball input shaft bearing, same heat-treated all-new output, same coupler.

I have an Inchworm at home and have physically verified that the differences toughted by Marlin aren't differences anymore.

Lastly Marling is more all inclusive, they inlcude a shifter and base, and shift knob.

I sourced my own shifter (ebay) and got a free knob from Inchworm, and save $600 over Marlins price. And that was upgrading to Marlins total spline input instead of the Trailgear one.

Keep the money in your pocket, buy Inchworm. Either will get the job done.
Old 04-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #1863
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't realize the v6 tacos had a different tcase. Are they still chain driven?
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1864
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Didn't realize the v6 tacos had a different tcase. Are they still chain driven?
Seems 4 cyl tacos got 23 spline too...from Marlins site:

Found some info on marlins site..

**(1995+ 2.7L models);
-Chain driven, FORWARD SHIFT (23 spline input and 27 spline output) design with a drivers side drop and a 2.57:1 gear reduction.

6 Cylinder Models (1988-2006)

**(1988-1995 Pickups and 4Runners) Found with the 3.0L V6 was introduced in 1988 and survived until 1995.
-Chain Driven, Forward Shifting, 23 spline input shaft, transfer case with a passenger side output and a 2.57:1 gear reduction.
**(1995.5-current Tacoma & 1996-current 4runner)Found with the 3.4L V-6 introduced in the Tacoma.
-Chain Driven, Forward Shifting, 23 spline input shaft, transfer case with a drivers side output and a 2.57:1 gear reduction.

Anyways call inchworm and Josh will help you out and get you squared away.
Old 04-23-2013, 04:50 PM   #1865
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Is there such thing as a factory 23 spl gear driven case? I know I have seen one but it could have had the inputs swapped.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #1866
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Is there such thing as a factory 23 spl gear driven case? I know I have seen one but it could have had the inputs swapped.
Four cylinder turbo models came with a factory 23 spline input...rare but they do exist.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #1867
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well we shall see how the dual 21 spl cases do. I'm sure that the output is more of a weak spot than the inputs are. If I remember its the opposite on the taco cases minus the fact supratt broke his output.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:05 AM   #1868

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Called Inchworm and he did confirm the tcase has 23 spline.

I was lying under the truck today and realized that with all the cutting and modifying I want to do to the frame there's not going to be much left of the OEM frame except for under the cab haha

Call me stupid, but would it be a bad idea to build an entirely new frame from the ground up, rather than hacking the other one up to little bits? I'm not sure if there are any regulations concerning that, issues with the VIN (or lack thereof), or if it varies from state to state. Should I just call up the DMV?
Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM   #1869
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Called Inchworm and he did confirm the tcase has 23 spline.

I was lying under the truck today and realized that with all the cutting and modifying I want to do to the frame there's not going to be much left of the OEM frame except for under the cab haha

Call me stupid, but would it be a bad idea to build an entirely new frame from the ground up, rather than hacking the other one up to little bits? I'm not sure if there are any regulations concerning that, issues with the VIN (or lack thereof), or if it varies from state to state. Should I just call up the DMV?
Personally, I would leave the original frame under the cab, and just do the custom frame foward of the front body mounts and aft of the cab... Less work and it should be plenty strong under there.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #1870

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Back end would be chopped right behind the cab and redone too.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #1871
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Back end would be chopped right behind the cab and redone too.
I know. :P I think that's fine.

vvvv
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Personally, I would leave the original frame under the cab, and just do the custom frame foward of the front body mounts and aft of the cab... Less work and it should be plenty strong under there.
I think the DMV would be fine with a totally custom frame (not sure though) but I just think it'd be more trouble than its worth..

Just do this

Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #1872

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
That's not far off from what I had in mind.

I thought if I just made a new frame, it would be easier to access while building/welding and I could incorporate a flat belly into the design, fab some new sliders, and not have to worry about body lift, etc. Plus if I leave the suspension and frame intact, it might be halfway sell-able?
Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #1873
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
These are a lot bigger than I thought
Attached Thumbnails
Solid Axle Swap BS Thread-parts1.jpg  
Old 04-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #1875
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
BTW, I ended up with Currie Johnny Joints because Ballistic didn't have their 1.25" LH rod ends in stock. Read plenty of stories of Johnny Joints holding up for a long time so whatever. I might dis-assemble them and drill out the centers to 5/8" though. I guess most people had problems bending 9/16" bolts before having any sort of issue with the joint itself.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #1876

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
This things are huge. Just keep them greased up well, good thing you didn't go with trail marts joints they wear out pretty quick on the road.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:36 AM   #1877
Über Posre

Quote:
That's not far off from what I had in mind.

I thought if I just made a new frame, it would be easier to access while building/welding and I could incorporate a flat belly into the design, fab some new sliders, and not have to worry about body lift, etc. Plus if I leave the suspension and frame intact, it might be halfway sell-able?
Maybe so... if you're going to make an entirely new frame, why not just scrap all the sheet metal and make a tube chasis?? lol jk, man. If you think it'll be better for what you have in mind, go for it! You'll have a better idea of what'll be going on under your truck than I will... Good point on selling the frame/suspension as a whole.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Old 04-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #1878

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the input, I think I'll just stick with keeping the OEM frame under the cab. It would probably be too difficult to make everything fit just right if I made a frame separate.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #1879

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 04-27-2013, 08:33 PM   #1880
Über Posre

Quote:
Thanks for the input, I think I'll just stick with keeping the OEM frame under the cab. It would probably be too difficult to make everything fit just right if I made a frame separate.
Fo sho. NOW START CHOPPING
Quote:
eh?

Products Discussed in this Thread