Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Solid Axle Swap BS Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 06:54 PM   #1941
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Instead of running a shackle the spring slides in the guides under compression and droop. Helps it sit lower than the convectional shackle setup which is what I'm after.
You can't really sit low on leafs. And I still don't understand the whole low concept. The point of a SAS is to gain ground clearance and articulation. If you are too low you have ZERO uptravel.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:05 PM   #1942
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
You can't really sit low on leafs. And I still don't understand the whole low concept. The point of a SAS is to gain ground clearance and articulation. If you are too low you have ZERO uptravel.
It'll have just as much up travel as any other rig with toyota rears up front(2-4" hopefully depends on how arched my leafs turn out to be). The main reason I want it to sit low is because it doesn't have to be high, that and I like the look of a LCG rig on big tires. On 42's I should have plenty of clearance. My sas is being done to gain stability, flex/articulation and axle strength/durability. Sitting low on leafs is possible just takes a lil more work.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #1943
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
It'll have just as much up travel as any other rig with toyota rears up front(2-4" hopefully depends on how arched my leafs turn out to be). The main reason I want it to sit low is because it doesn't have to be high, that and I like the look of a LCG rig on big tires. On 42's I should have plenty of clearance. My sas is being done to gain stability, flex/articulation and axle strength/durability. Sitting low on leafs is possible just takes a lil more work.
The back isn't the problem with height though. I have 6" shackles for the rear with Chevy 63"s and it only sits at 23". Lower than the front and the front has COMPLETELY flat springs lol!! I am an exception though I'd have more uptravel if it wasn't for my full hydro. But then again I don't have to worry about a stupid drag link to bottom out on the frame, like it was before. If you can keep it 25" on 42's I'd be shocked. But I can't wait to see
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #1944
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The back isn't the problem with height though. I have 6" shackles for the rear with Chevy 63"s and it only sits at 23". Lower than the front and the front has COMPLETELY flat springs lol!! I am an exception though I'd have more uptravel if it wasn't for my full hydro. But then again I don't have to worry about a stupid drag link to bottom out on the frame, like it was before. If you can keep it 25" on 42's I'd be shocked. But I can't wait to see
25 to the belly is damn near impossible on leafs, well if you let enough air out of the 42's it'll be at 25 :lol: I'm prob gonna be around 26-28" I hope but I know in a couple of weeks when I get the front done-ish.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #1945
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
25 to the belly is damn near impossible on leafs, well if you let enough air out of the 42's it'll be at 25 :lol: I'm prob gonna be around 26-28" I hope but I know in a couple of weeks when I get the front done-ish.
Sweet. Good to hear those numbers, I am relieved
Old 05-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1946

Quote:
Sweet. Good to hear those numbers, I am relieved
15" at full bump 19" at ride height on 42's

maybe one day
Old 05-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #1947
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

maybe one day
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #1948
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I see no leafs on that one
Old 05-06-2013, 08:18 PM   #1949
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
I'm too high with a 3" body lift
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #1950
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

maybe one day
Too low!! Guy has WIDE axles to make up for being a little taller. IMO if you go 1 tons, run it a little higher than normal and it'll still be more than stable enough.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #1951
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You are learning young padawan For the record, my previous Taco was 24.5" to the frame on 37's and there was no way to get it any lower on leaf springs (44044's with a leaf removed). New truck gets links and will probably be a little taller than my old truck but with much wider axles and bigger tires. I feel my last truck was the perfect height, it went everywhere I pointed it without getting high centered. This obstacle was the perfect test to see whether your truck was too low or not. If you were too low, you got hung up on your passenger slider pretty bad and my last truck walked it a couple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj00rCyVusQ
Old 05-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #1952
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
k, figured you guys were some of the most tech savy and would give me a clean cut answer, im doing this sas for an 8" trd locking axle and am putting a third in a housing im getting. the housing im getting i am going to just assume is bare, so i will need the seals for the axle shafts at the end...what all stuff do i need to put the shafts in and seal the axle up? I am getting the rebuild kit for the regear on the third of course, and I know i need:

third member seal gasket
3rd member bolts
axle seals
Grease?
diff fluid to refil the axle.

what am i missing and where is the best (cheapest lol) place to buy this stuff
Old 05-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #1953
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
You are learning young padawan For the record, my previous Taco was 24.5" to the frame on 37's and there was no way to get it any lower on leaf springs (44044's with a leaf removed). New truck gets links and will probably be a little taller than my old truck but with much wider axles and bigger tires. I feel my last truck was the perfect height, it went everywhere I pointed it without getting high centered. This obstacle was the perfect test to see whether your truck was too low or not. If you were too low, you got hung up on your passenger slider pretty bad and my last truck walked it a couple times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj00rCyVusQ

That's a sick little crawl there. And my taco sits at the 25" height with 37s.. Well lower but only because flat springs right now.. Links are the way to go. Some day maybe.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 PM   #1954
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
k, figured you guys were some of the most tech savy and would give me a clean cut answer, im doing this sas for an 8" trd locking axle and am putting a third in a housing im getting. the housing im getting i am going to just assume is bare, so i will need the seals for the axle shafts at the end...what all stuff do i need to put the shafts in and seal the axle up? I am getting the rebuild kit for the regear on the third of course, and I know i need:

third member seal gasket
3rd member bolts
axle seals
Grease?

Toyota axles are sealed from the elements by way of the seals and wipers on the knuckle balls and the seals on your manual hubs. Everything is contained internally pretty damn well on Toyota axles. If you have a third member that you are installing into a bare housing you'll need pretty much everything; axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, manual hubs, trunion bearings, all seals and hardware, hi steer arms etc. Why not pick up a complete axle and install new stuff where you need to?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #1955
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota axles are sealed from the elements by way of the seals and wipers on the knuckle balls and the seals on your manual hubs. Everything is contained internally pretty damn well on Toyota axles. If you have a third member that you are installing into a bare housing you'll need pretty much everything; axle shafts, knuckles, hubs, wheel bearings, rotors, calipers, manual hubs, trunion bearings, all seals and hardware, hi steer arms etc. Why not pick up a complete axle and install new stuff where you need to?
hes just swapping his rear, its what he forgets to say :P, hes also putting in the weaker third :P
Old 05-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #1956
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
hes just swapping his rear, its what he forgets to say :P, hes also putting in the weaker third :P
Alright I'm lost.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:50 PM   #1957
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post

third member seal gasket
3rd member bolts
axle seals
Grease?

Don't need bolts, they should already pressed into the housing, you might need nuts/washer though. don't really need grease.... just buy wally world gear oil for the first 500 miles then get some good synthetic stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #1958
Über Posre

Quote:
Alright I'm lost.
lol He is simply swapping his 8.4 axle for a tacoma 8" e-locker axle so he can have a selectable rear locker.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1959
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
why wouldn't you get get an arb? wouldn't it be cheaper and less hassle?
Old 05-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #1960
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
lol He is simply swapping his 8.4 axle for a tacoma 8" e-locker axle so he can have a selectable rear locker.
ARB?

Products Discussed in this Thread