Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Bought some axels...sas coming soon

Old 04-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dtmccray's Tacoma Gallery
Bought some axels...sas coming soon

Well I decided to do an sas. Found these for 6k rear has never been used front was bolted up but wasn't on for long. The front is set up for a jeep but I guess I can cut all that off if I need to. Anybody ever thought about a jeep based four link since all the brackets are already on the axle? Who would be the ppl to talk to on here? I have been researching 3 and 4 link suspensions and I understand how it all works. Then you get into roll axis, anti squat, roll steer....and all that crap that I get a little confused. When doing a leafed front where do the front hangers end up? How far from the front end of the frame? I am asking bc that seems to be the easiest way but unless I am wrong I am going to have cut about 3.5 inches off the frame when my bumper gets here . Thanks for any input.

Bought some axels...sas coming soon-2012-04-15_14-28-41_978.jpg

Bought some axels...sas coming soon-2012-04-15_14-28-54_216.jpg

Bought some axels...sas coming soon-2012-04-15_14-29-37_659.jpg

Bought some axels...sas coming soon-2012-04-15_14-29-48_35.jpg

Bought some axels...sas coming soon-2012-04-15_14-30-05_851.jpg

Bought some axels...sas coming soon-2012-04-15_14-30-31_787.jpg
Old 04-16-2012, 07:33 AM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Well for starters, are jeep's 4link front? Taco's can't run 4link fronts unless you weld to the housing which is a terrible idea. Are you sure you're ready to sas, those are nice axles and pretty much the best axles money can buy besides rockjocks...SAS isn't a cheap endeavor especially when you have 6k just in axles.

And if you do a leaf sprung the end of the springs end up at the end of the frame rails like how my build is.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:36 AM   #4
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
sub. me want to see a SAS. lol
Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
dtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the sheddtmccray is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Yes the jeep is a 4 link with panhard. Yeah 6k just in axle is a lot but I spend it one time or a little at a time and end up close to it. You are referring to the 4link mount on top of the axle housing? You can see that mount in the first and third pics. If so the front already has all the jeep mounts in place. Thats the only reason I am even considering using a jeep suspension. Seems like all I would have to do is keep where I weld my mounts to the frame alligned and bolt it up not counting steering springs/coilovers driveshafts etc. I'm thinking I'll get all the needed parts over this year and actually start the swap maybe 1st of next year. I would like to get it done sooner but thats my plan.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #6
Your Unique, Just Like Everyone Else
TacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoBran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brandon
TacoBran's Tacoma Gallery
Post up and or search on pirate4x4 and ttora
Old 05-01-2012, 07:20 AM   #7

Well looks like I might take the easy way out. I'm going to drop my truck off at southern offroad tomorrow morning for an estimate. I would prefer to do the work myself but I just don't have the time or a shop to do it in and I don't want to start it and then have to order something wait 3-4 weeks then have to order something else then have to wait another 2-3 weeks for a day off work. Not to mention having it take up space in a buddies shop. Guess it all depends on how the estimate looks.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:23 AM   #8
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmccray View Post
Well looks like I might take the easy way out. I'm going to drop my truck off at southern offroad tomorrow morning for an estimate. I would prefer to do the work myself but I just don't have the time or a shop to do it in and I don't want to start it and then have to order something wait 3-4 weeks then have to order something else then have to wait another 2-3 weeks for a day off work. Not to mention having it take up space in a buddies shop. Guess it all depends on how the estimate looks.
I would check out Blue Torch Fab in Birmingham. I would much rather them be fabbing up stuff for my truck than that place....
Old 05-01-2012, 07:24 AM   #9

I e-mailed btf no reply called four times over three days and got no one on the phone did get a machine but no ppl.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:36 AM   #10

Finally got someone on the phone at Blue Torch Fab guy has no clue what I'm talking about he went to talk to his manager and.... he said they do not do conversions...builds buggies but can't do an sas? wth?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
Taco or Die
Phearson is on a distinguished road

Name: Brad
Phearson's Tacoma Gallery
Easier idea.. Buy a first gen yota for 6k. There already wheelers haha
Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #12
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Finally got someone on the phone at Blue Torch Fab guy has no clue what I'm talking about he went to talk to his manager and.... he said they do not do conversions...builds buggies but can't do an sas? wth?
Thats really weird. I agree, they build amazing buggies and cant do a SAS? thats a little odd.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck with the swap. I'm in the middle of a SAS and like supraTT said, it's no small task. There's a lot of small, b/s things that you run into along the way that can hurt your wallet. It sounds like you have a general idea of what you want to do and you spent some cash and got good stuff Get on ttora, pirate4x4, and rocksolidtoys, all of those sites have guys that have a lot of knowledge in the task at hand.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:02 PM   #14
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Plus when estimating, take what you think you could build it for and then tack on another $1500 - $3000 just to be safe... I swore I could SAS the front and completely re-do the rear suspension for $5000... $8400 later here I am (not all out of pocket) just try to wheel and deal the best you can
Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #15

Well I got a rough estimate from southern offroad to do an all-pro 3link in the front and leafs in the rear they want $9550 +/-..... that just seems way high to me or am I wrong? All pro front stuff, coilovers 699 steering 749 links 1299, rear kit 509 misc crap 500-750 + about $4000... so 4500 labor....me thinks I'm just going to have to do it myself. Going to take a long time but I feel like 4500 labor is too high. What do you all think?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #16
revised
TrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrdSurgie is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: HM2
TrdSurgie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well I got a rough estimate from southern offroad to do an all-pro 3link in the front and leafs in the rear they want $9550 +/-..... that just seems way high to me or am I wrong? All pro front stuff, coilovers 699 steering 749 links 1299, rear kit 509 misc crap 500-750 + about $4000... so 4500 labor....me thinks I'm just going to have to do it myself. Going to take a long time but I feel like 4500 labor is too high. What do you all think?
I vote to always do things yourself. If you have the time, money and dont care if your ride is down. Do it.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:17 PM   #17
mall crawler
If you got the skills to do it yourself then do it, but if not, maybe try shopping around a little more. Wouldnt hurt to drive an hour or two to get a shop to do the swap.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:25 PM   #18

They are the only one I've found close by and they are an hour away from me. Guess I was thinking closer to 6000 than 9500. For 4500 I dont mind doing it myself.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
$4500 is steep for labor... over double what mines going to be, but me and my fab guy have done a lil trading (letting him take it to shows, etc...)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:11 PM   #20
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Absolutely do not buy the all pro kit for the love of god that is all.