Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

2005 Bulletproof Taco: 1 Ton SAC

Old 06-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #21
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletToothTony View Post
Glad you finally started a build thread, truck looks awesome
Thanks...guess what I finally had built and am picking up today
Old 06-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #22
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
When wheeling at CTJ'09 I managed to break my mirror. Just the black plastic "triangle" part that mounts to the truck, so I decided to rebuil the missing portions with fiberglass:

Can't even tell!

Old 06-08-2012, 05:53 AM   #23
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Next I decided to regear to 4.56's. I wasn't about to pay what shops want to do this so I decided to do it myself. Disclaimer: This is in no way a job for the average Joe to tackle. I have a vast knowledge of mechanics including a ME bachelors degree so I know how to properly set-up gears.

Apparently I didnt take a whole lot of pictures during this, lol but here are the two I took of the rear set-up I ended with:

Pattern:

Backlash:

Now if anyone is thinking about doing this themselves here are a few tips:

1. Try the rear first, if you can't do the rear, you will not have a chance at getting the front right.

2. Don't bother withcrush sleeves, go solid pinion spacers all the way.

3. Refer to this website, chances are you will find a write-up on the exact install you are doing...I did. http://www.gearinstalls.com/ Thanks Zuk!

4. After swapping the gears, start with the shims as they were installed for a starting point. Adjust from there.

The front is a different story, refer to the FSM for procedure, and you absolutely must have a dial indicator with a right hand attachment to measure the backlash.

Current (to this point in the build) picture:

Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #24
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Got a bedcage for a 2001 Tundra given to me so I figured I would make it work...with a few minor modifications I was able to mount it in the bed using the stock bedbolts.

Combined it with some Bilstein 7100's and this was the result:

Old 06-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #25
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
A few random photos from this era in my photobucket account:

Cab Mount chop:

Twisted rear d-shaft:

Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Well by this time I was getting tired of my All-Pro front bumper and the tube look was growing on me so I decided to build 'me one of my own!

No bumper:

Sold my AP and my skids to no mods.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #27
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Oh this is getting good. Man your truck was so clean back in the day... Just like mine..... that's okay though because we wheel THE FUCK out of our trucks now
Old 06-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #28
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
and then???
Old 06-21-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
and then???
^
Old 07-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #30
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Next mod was All-Pro LT and Front and Rear ARB locker. Dont have alot of pictures but heres what I do have:

Mounted the airtank under the mini-cage in the bed:

Then threw the high-lift on as well:

Then upgraded to the Foxes and added Total Chaos Coil Bucket gussets as well:

Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #31
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Then this happened:

So a major change was in order...
Old 07-05-2012, 07:36 AM   #32
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-05-2012, 07:56 AM   #33
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Then this happened:

So a major change was in order...
that's a good one!
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #34
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

And then...
Old 07-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #35
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
And then...
Then I started my bed cage:

Tail light arrangement:

A few more tube addittions:

Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
that's a good one!
So was this:

Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM   #37
Fear no fish
tuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud oftuckdaddy has much to be proud of

Name: Tucker
tuckdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #38
Texas Taco
Oury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shedOury is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Oury
Oury's Tacoma Gallery
nice rig, i like how you wheel it. Thanks for the ato shackle flip kit. it's been working wonders
Old 07-17-2012, 12:10 PM   #39
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oury View Post
nice rig, i like how you wheel it. Thanks for the ato shackle flip kit. it's been working wonders
Thanks glad it found a good home

Finally (and slowly) working on this build thread, but I would rather be wheeling. Maybe I will take a break from the build progress and post some current pics after the trip this weekend!

Stay tuned!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:17 PM   #40
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›

NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
just post a couple blank posts to reserve some spots in the timeline and fill them in later..