Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Rear Axle Upgrade Questions

Old 06-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Screw the diamond and the shafts. Not necessary.

4.56's, ARB, 37's, stock shafts, stock housing
Wow. That is a monster! How long have you been running that setup? How many miles do you have on the stock parts w/ those tires? Happy with the 4.56?
:Cheers:
Old 06-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #22
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
He's been running on 35s for over 2 years. Wheels the living shit out of it. He just upgraded to small 37's, hasn't wheeled with them since.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:59 AM   #23
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
Is there a reason to not upgrade the housing or convert it to FF? I'm all for saving hard earned $, I'm just surprised. I thought I've seen a bunch of stories on the web about the axle housing getting crushed like an empty beer can while wheeling and axles bending while hauling heavy loads.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #24
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
Wow. That is a monster! How long have you been running that setup? How many miles do you have on the stock parts w/ those tires? Happy with the 4.56?
:Cheers:
Wish I had 4.88s, but NItro just came out with the "thick" cut 4.88's for my front carrier, so an upgrade may be coming soon.

As Eric said, I have been running and whoping on it with the 35's for over 2 years now with no rear axle issues at all.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #25
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperstd View Post
Is there a reason to not upgrade the housing or convert it to FF? I'm all for saving hard earned $, I'm just surprised. I thought I've seen a bunch of stories on the web about the axle housing getting crushed like an empty beer can while wheeling and axles bending while hauling heavy loads.
I've been towing with mine for 2 years. I haul my 1st gen, total weight of haul is over 6k#. Taco is only rated for 6.5k#. No problems other than rear u joint. I probably have 10k miles of towing
Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #26
MallTaco
87FoRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
87FoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
I think the crush sleeve has more of an effect on the strength of 05+ than anything. Pinion deflection won't be as much of a factor in the long run.