Notices

Trail Gear or All Pro SAS kit

Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
Hoyt is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement: Detective
Name: Mike
Hoyt's Tacoma Gallery
Trail Gear or All Pro SAS kit

Looking to do an SAS but i am not sure which option. Leaning towards the Trail Gear SAS kit B with finding a Toyota axle and 3rd member on my own instead of using theirs. I have an awesome shop who will be doing the install. Give me some opinions on options please...
Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
trail gear
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildlandtaco View Post
no
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #5
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
I've had friends here in town who have had both. They are both the same quality wise now (or would like to think so)

I will say that I've only seen/heard of All-Pro Leafs break, usually just a leaf (more then once, could have been a different manufacturer then they use now, I don't know ) and both trucks are wheeled evenly I'd say.

Overall I'd just go with whichever you can get a better a deal on
Old 07-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #6
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
T/G
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #7
Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice
BAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedBAMFTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Edward
BAMFTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
I've had friends here in town who have had both. They are both the same quality wise now (or would like to think so)

I will say that I've only seen/heard of All-Pro Leafs break, usually just a leaf (more then once, could have been a different manufacturer then they use now, I don't know ) and both trucks are wheeled evenly I'd say.

X2 which ever is a good deal go for It
Old 07-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Neither of them truely have a better kit. They are both adequate. But if I were to choose a kit, it would be trail gears.

Don't use TG axle, find a toyota mini and use it. This will be your best bet.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
randombob is just really nicerandombob is just really nicerandombob is just really nicerandombob is just really nice
Army: A 3/43 ADA
randombob's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to randombob
Use the TG axle. It'll come preassembled with your locker choice, gears, etc. ends up being a bargain after all is said and done. ALSO since its true width for a Tacoma your wheels spacing will be nice all around. Plus it comes with their no questioned asked axles and awesome knuckles....

Much more hassle than its worth I think trying to adapt other things to work with their kit, plus I feel not as strong either

Spoken as someone who did it
Old 07-12-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyt View Post
Looking to do an SAS but i am not sure which option. Leaning towards the Trail Gear SAS kit B with finding a Toyota axle and 3rd member on my own instead of using theirs. I have an awesome shop who will be doing the install. Give me some opinions on options please...

It depends what truck.
If you're talking 86-95 here are a couple things I have made my opinion about before I started at all-pro.
I've seen plenty of people with trail gear kits have their leaf springs flatten out and sag way too quickly. I believe the quality just isn't there. I have also seen their leaf spring bushings wear out too quickly.
Other than that, the kits are very similar.
It's your choice if you want to support a company that feeds Chinese kids or American kids.

If you're talking about a 95.5-04 Tacoma, well, there are some huge differences.
First, you really have to decide between leaf springs or links. There is obviously a big price difference due to the engineering and materials that go into each kit. Links will provide greater flex, they will keep the truck lower, and and they will dampen and ride a lot better than leafs/ billies.
Not to mention the adjust-ability of coil-overs compared to leaf springs.

The only thing that was once appealing to me about the TG kit was the fact it was a completely complete kit.
If you go with their "B" kit, you still have to decide which axle you want and how to build it. Take some time and do some research on their axle housings.

Sure, ours doesn't include an oil pan kit, a cross-member, or a couple other small misc things I am blanking on, but that shouldn't be discouraging.
Those parts are easily sourced.

I guess in the end it all depends on your needs.
And again, it's your choice if you want to support a company that feeds chinese kids or American kids.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
randombob is just really nicerandombob is just really nicerandombob is just really nicerandombob is just really nice
Bang for buck: TG. better setup: AP.

THERE. close thread.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
mix and match from different sites
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
It depends what truck.
If you're talking 86-95 here are a couple things I have made my opinion about before I started at all-pro.
I've seen plenty of people with trail gear kits have their leaf springs flatten out and sag way too quickly. I believe the quality just isn't there. I have also seen their leaf spring bushings wear out too quickly.
Other than that, the kits are very similar.
It's your choice if you want to support a company that feeds Chinese kids or American kids.

If you're talking about a 95.5-04 Tacoma, well, there are some huge differences.
First, you really have to decide between leaf springs or links. There is obviously a big price difference due to the engineering and materials that go into each kit. Links will provide greater flex, they will keep the truck lower, and and they will dampen and ride a lot better than leafs/ billies.
Not to mention the adjust-ability of coil-overs compared to leaf springs.

The only thing that was once appealing to me about the TG kit was the fact it was a completely complete kit.
If you go with their "B" kit, you still have to decide which axle you want and how to build it. Take some time and do some research on their axle housings.

Sure, ours doesn't include an oil pan kit, a cross-member, or a couple other small misc things I am blanking on, but that shouldn't be discouraging.
Those parts are easily sourced.

I guess in the end it all depends on your needs.
And again, it's your choice if you want to support a company that feeds chinese kids or American kids.
Lol.. TG axles housings are leaking oil through the welds .. and right now there's an ongoing thread at ttora regarding a pair of sliders that are leaking some sort of oily substance through the welds ...

Old 07-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #15
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by randombob View Post
Use the TG axle. It'll come preassembled with your locker choice, gears, etc. ends up being a bargain after all is said and done. ALSO since its true width for a Tacoma your wheels spacing will be nice all around. Plus it comes with their no questioned asked axles and awesome knuckles....

Much more hassle than its worth I think trying to adapt other things to work with their kit, plus I feel not as strong either

Spoken as someone who did it
TG axles are shit..they are leaking gear oil from the welds..and they Arnt holding up to DD duties. At higher speeds they Arnt slinging enough gear oil around destroying bearings..for a dedicated rockcrawler rig they will be fine. ..

Also, their trunion bearing eliminator kit that im running is the shit!! So keep that in mind
Old 07-13-2012, 09:37 PM   #16
bailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shedbailerc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: ex-navy, IT Contractor
Name: Cody
bailerc's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think anything trail gear makes is "geared" towards a DD rig
Old 07-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #17
Fabtech for the win.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #18
allpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shedallpro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

allpro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post

The leaf spring issue i have been at all pro for 2 years seen a few springs break the major part of that is them being improperly set up aka no bump stops or improperly set up bumpstop allowing the spring to over arch to negative causing stress over and over and it can cause a leaf to break. (usually the main leaf) I have ran our springs in the front of my 92 since 05 no problems i know plenty of people running them for the same amount of years and still loving their springs. There IS a difference in quality between our springs and tg's springs.

As stated above the year of the truck makes a big difference for what kit you are wanting to do. The thing about trail gear is its cheap who doesn't like not having to spend alot of money but something i have been a firm believer in is you get what you pay for. Been wheeling for 9 years now i have ran ifs trucks and solid axle trucks. I have seen a lot of trucks built with different parts i'm not going to bash on any company but some parts are better to spend the money on and get quality compared to others.

Thanks,
Kurtis
Old 07-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
I used several odds and ends from Trail-Gear on my SAS and I wasn't overly impressed with some of it. I did the six shooter knuckles upgrade. Very nice, stout product, but the fit and finish sucked! Also their customer service people were jackasses... Me and my fab guy (M.O.B.S. Fab in Concord/Trail-Gear Dealer) called and told them that with my order (several thousand dollars) I need the WHOLE steering shaft assembly... Shaft, joints, the whole nine yards... They billed me for a "steering shaft assembly" that consisted of just the damn shaft! So I had to call up and pay an additional $100x2 for joints (that I could have gotten up the road but they wouldn't give me the number) and had to have them 2nd day aired so we could get everything together. I won't spend another dime with them after that...
Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
Its tha Southern Way
LBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to beholdLBFD2005 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Chris
LBFD2005's Tacoma Gallery
man i shoulda lookied into this tread sooner b4 posting mine lol but got the 11' edition trd will be a DD.. suggestions on which to go with??