LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Addicted's 96' 4runner using TG Tacoma SAS kit

Old 10-23-2012, 05:36 PM   #21
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
Is there going to be a 2nd gen version of that bumper?
Old 10-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #22
Yotaless is on a distinguished road
Yotaless's Tacoma Gallery
Killer build cant wait to see it done!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM   #23
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
AddictedOffroad's Tacoma Gallery
setup the ARB rear 3rd today. Building the TCases tomorrow too.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #24
Wheeling mine, back to working on everyone else's
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Just wait, a 2nd gen SAS will be coming soon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
Perfect!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8rjess View Post
i may know who it isss!
Old 10-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #25
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #26
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
Getting really close. Duals are in. Just need to cut holes for shifters.

Rear axle is in place and disc brake kit is on. We set the pinion angle today and will be dropping off drive shafts later today. Wheels are supposed to ship this week too. Hopefully it will be moving soon.

Sliders are built now too.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:50 PM   #27
Wheeling mine, back to working on everyone else's
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Damn clean work! Any hesitation on using the Rock Assault housings on a daily driver? I thought trail-gear admitted questionable pinion lubrication at highway speeds?
Old 10-30-2012, 02:05 PM   #28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Damn clean work! Any hesitation on using the Rock Assault housings on a daily driver? I thought trail-gear admitted questionable pinion lubrication at highway speeds?
The 3rd member alone dictates pinion lubrication. The housing itself will have zero to do with that, so I am not sure where you heard it or whether the person who said it was talking out of their ass, but that is not true.

It used to be that TG never had a baffle to cover up their breather port. Because of this, the ring gear would sling oil out of the breather. That was the case on the original versions of these axles. These newer ones are MUCH better quality than the older version and are now baffled. They have stepped up a lot compared to early versions.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #29
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
phewwww.
those pics should do for the next couple days.
lets get er done !!!!!

Lookin Good!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #30
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I like TG for the most part, and good work Scotty. However, I just don't like trailgears' housings. They are beyond ugly.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
I like TG for the most part, and good work Scotty. However, I just don't like trailgears' housings. They are beyond ugly.
I won't argue with you there. Still better than a POS Dana 44 though IMO.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:45 PM   #33
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
I won't argue with you there. Still better than a POS Dana 44 though IMO.
Hey now I like my Dana
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM   #34
You wheel the shit outta you d44 right? why are so many nixxing it as a solid axle candidate for a SAS?
Old 10-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #35
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

It really depends on what you want to do with the truck. There is so many variables. A d44 is easily sourced for parts, very cheap too. They work great until you really want to become a hardcore wheeler. They just aren't beef enough to withstand hard wheeling. Starting off with a D44 is a good way to learn and cheaper at first. But in the long run it will cost more money than just going with a stronger axle first.

I do beat the shit out of mine (so I like to think) But it's built fully, and even being built, it's bent right now... haha

Sorry Scotty, this isn't the place to discuss axles
Old 11-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #36
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
What gearing did you go for in the crawl box? Looking really nice so far wish I had that kinda cash to SAS my turd
You'd have the cash if you didn't spend your money on those sweet front/rear bumpers, icon front/rear suspension, arb front locker, and all those other goodies
Old 11-07-2012, 07:39 AM   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
You wheel the shit outta you d44 right? why are so many nixxing it as a solid axle candidate for a SAS?
Because they are more expensive to build to less strength as a Toyota based axle. Even starting with a Diamond axle. RCV or Superior shafts are $1000-$1200 alone VS. Dirty 30s or Longfields which $600-650. Highsteer is around $1200 too by the time you source flat top knuckles, have them machined and drilled/tapped, Gears are more on the D44, as is the lockers, and install kits. Then you are stuck with 4.88s unless you want to run mismatched gears with 5.38s up front and 5.29s in the rear.

IMHO, a D44 is NOT an upgrade over a Toyota based axle. Even with cromoly everything, the limit on the D44 is around 37s. I know guys running 40s on stock Toy axles with Longfields in them and not breaking.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
What gearing did you go for in the crawl box? Looking really nice so far wish I had that kinda cash to SAS my turd
2.28:1 is all that will ever be needed with the A/T.

Crawl ratio is around 90:1 and the torque converter doubles that to 180:1.

I ran dual 2.28 case in my old 4runner with the A/T. I had disc brakes on all four corners and had trouble stopping it in 4low sometimes in reverse. Any lower and it would just drive through the brakes. That and if you run 4.7s in the front case you are adding A LOT more stress/torque to the rear input shaft on the rear case.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #39
Well, she is driving. Wheels showed up yesterday and its out of the shop. We just need to finish up a few little things. FWIW, this thing is tall. Frame height at 28.25" when it left. Hoping that will settle at least 2" over the next couple weeks.

Next is sliders and a rear bumper.