Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

solid axel death wobble ?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #21
mt sas is on a distinguished road
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Did you get an alignment done after the SAS install? What were the numbers?
yes it was aligned I don't know the number it drove great for the first 5000 miles
Old 02-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #22
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt sas View Post
ive got a trail gear highsteer set up thats 6months old every thing externally is tight and all isgreased i will check out my steering box tonight thanks bighorns have 5000 miles on em xterrains are hammerd does it with bolth
Did you shim it properly when installing the hi-steer arms?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #23
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
think so define shim properly ?
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
I had crazy death wobble on the crawler..end up being a lower shock bolt that was M.I.A.

Another thing that makes wobble is loose shackles..I can not keep those suckers tight and have to crank them down at least once during a good run.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Quote:
think so define shim properly ?
I'm guessing he's talking about the shims that helps to properly preload the trunnion bearings..I think 15ft lbs is what is recommended when using a pull scale.
Old 02-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #26
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
I'm guessing he's talking about the shims that helps to properly preload the trunnion bearings..I think 15ft lbs is what is recommended when using a pull scale.
the trunnions were golden when we built the axel im rollin it out on Tuesday and checkin everything will post pics of the process and what I find when I can ! its gotta stop I dd my truck and am tired of burnin diesel every day i love my cummins but ive been drivin yotas for 15 years and they are what I like ! ha ha
Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #27
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
The hard part is that the wobble could be anything.. Typically I start from the tires and work my way into the suspension. Wheel balanced, ball joint play, bushings, pitman arm, etc, etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #28
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
The hard part is that the wobble could be anything.. Typically I start from the tires and work my way into the suspension. Wheel balanced, ball joint play, bushings, pitman arm, etc, etc.
yep that's where im headed the tires/wheels are balanced alignment is good goin deeper on Tuesday
!
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #29
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
Although it does help to know if it's something consistent or when you get to a certain speed which narrows it down a lot more.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #30
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Although it does help to know if it's something consistent or when you get to a certain speed which narrows it down a lot more.
ive been getn it around 35mph with any tire /wheel combo ive had on it .its always when driving straight mostly on pavement
Old 02-27-2013, 06:18 PM   #31
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
replaced all the old rubber bushings with new poly bushings and one tierod end i think it was the rear shackle frame bushings were the culprits ! the death wobble is gone
Old 02-28-2013, 05:08 PM   #33
VA6DCO
IgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shedIgnorantlyAlberta is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
IgnorantlyAlberta's Tacoma Gallery
Nice..... now to break it on the trail.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #34
"Toyota Mafia" MORE BALLS THAN BRAINS
ironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shedironman44bear is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Billy
ironman44bear's Tacoma Gallery
What type of shackles are you runnin? Do they have a welded connector bar between the the two or are they two separate plates. On my old yota that I sas'd I had serious death wobble and I was runnin shackles that weren't connected...welded a piece of tube between them and bam...death wobble gone.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
Senior Clown
Werkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
Werkro01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
replaced all the old rubber bushings with new poly bushings and one tierod end i think it was the rear shackle frame bushings were the culprits ! the death wobble is gone
Nice. If it were still there I would have suggested steering shocks... but only crappy Jeeps need those.