Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Best axle for SAS????

Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
lol d30...

Alex did.. (alove0750)

Really? His truck is awesome, so awesome I never noticed it was running roller skate tires
Old 02-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #22
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Really? His truck is awesome, so awesome I never noticed it was running roller skate tires
haha yeah....
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #23
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
OH and you'd snap that D30 like a twig on any serious trail, that's why the rubicons come with a D44 up front, even Jeep knows the D30 sucks.
The rubi 44 is still pretty much a Dana 30, only difference is the center section. Did hear they made some upgrades to it though.

As far as best axle I say a custom 9.5 with 80 outer's or just a fabed 80 housing and stock guts, but thats if you have crazy money. If not then a Dana 60 will do just fine. Rear could has a lot of good choices 14 bolt, Dana 60, Dana 70, and sterling 10.25.

Also Adams truck does very well on 33's, it has impressed me multiple times, don't always need 40's.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #24
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Portals
Old 02-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #25
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
The rubi 44 is still pretty much a Dana 30, only difference is the center section. Did hear they made some upgrades to it though.

As far as best axle I say a custom 9.5 with 80 outer's or just a fabed 80 housing and stock guts, but thats if you have crazy money. If not then a Dana 60 will do just fine. Rear could has a lot of good choices 14 bolt, Dana 60, Dana 70, and sterling 10.25.

Also Adams truck does very well on 33's, it has impressed me multiple times, don't always need 40's.
Hmm, didn't know that about the rubicon. Also Im sure his truck does awesome, definitely one of the cleanest 1st gen swaps out there.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:53 PM   #26
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Quote:
Also Im sure his truck does awesome, definitely one of the cleanest 1st gen swaps out there.
Agreed!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:14 PM   #27
mt sas is on a distinguished road
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol d30...

Alex did.. (alove0750)

OP, if you want to run 40" tires, even a d44 is a no go. Don't use anything smaller than a 1 ton axle. D60 for the front, more options for the rear like d60, d70, d80, and 14 bolt.

What's your budget for this build look like? Good advice in this thread...
I don't know anything about 2nd gens wheelbase but could you use a Toyota axel with longfield shafts and wheel spacers ? uhh its an idea? I know and wheel with several guys that run 38s and 39s on trussed Toyotas and they dont break . the sas on my 1st gen cost 4k
Old 03-15-2013, 10:47 PM   #29
Got Beer?
BeerHat will become famous soon enoughBeerHat will become famous soon enough

BeerHat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt sas View Post
I don't know anything about 2nd gens wheelbase but could you use a Toyota axel with longfield shafts and wheel spacers ? uhh its an idea? I know and wheel with several guys that run 38s and 39s on trussed Toyotas and they dont break . the sas on my 1st gen cost 4k
Dunno if they make 6" wheel spacers unless you like the dragster look......and like no turning.....
Though the toy axle with longs is tough. The custom width 9.5 with chromly 80 outers would be tits if staying toyota
Old 03-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #30
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Toyota axle on a 2nd gen? You won't make it out the driveway without breaking. Just use a D60. They are decently priced and you won't break hardly ever..
Old 03-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #31
MallTaco
87FoRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
87FoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
78-79 HP60

Or if you are going straight to coilovers, pre 1990, Kingpin Dana 60.

Otherwise you are bending around your elbow to scratch your ass.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:26 PM   #32
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Toyota axle on a 2nd gen? You won't make it out the driveway without breaking. Just use a D60. They are decently priced and you won't break hardly ever..
in my opinion toyotas should be toyotas . I guess we don't have any real places to wheel our weak little Toyota axels in Montana maybe that's why they don't break ?
Old 03-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
in my opinion toyotas should be toyotas . I guess we don't have any real places to wheel our weak little Toyota axels in Montana maybe that's why they don't break ?
Go ahead use a toyota axle, see how long it lasts on a 2nd gen. It's your truck, enjoy wrenching on it! Toyota axle rocks on the mini trucks or suzuki, or even 1st gen's they do okay. Now if you run a LC 9.5" differential with custom housing; perfect, go for it! That is a toyota axle that will last.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #34
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Go ahead use a toyota axle, see how long it lasts on a 2nd gen. It's your truck, enjoy wrenching on it!
Lol funny how people don't listen to those of us who actually have first hand personal experience with these things. It'll be one expensive lesson for him to learn though. Which will be funny.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #35
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Lol funny how people don't listen to those of us who actually have first hand personal experience with these things. It'll be one expensive lesson for him to learn though. Which will be funny.
While I personally don't have any first hand experience with the toyota axle.. I have seen them break, along with everything else... But there is COUNTLESS information that I have read, over and over for years about what axle is strong, and what isn't.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #36
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe I should scrap my 79 ford kingpin 60 with full chromo 35 spline and get me a minitruck axle with longs
Old 03-17-2013, 05:55 PM   #37
MallTaco
87FoRunner is on a distinguished road

Name: Cameron
87FoRunner's Tacoma Gallery
Too much custom BS to even consider Toyota based axles.

Set it and forget it.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #38
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
lol d30...

Alex did.. (alove0750)

OP, if you want to run 40" tires, even a d44 is a no go. Don't use anything smaller than a 1 ton axle. D60 for the front, more options for the rear like d60, d70, d80, and 14 bolt.

What's your budget for this build look like? Good advice in this thread...
*Adam*
Old 03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #39
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
i wish i put a 60
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #40
mt sas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
While I personally don't have any first hand experience with the toyota axle.. I have seen them break, along with everything else... But there is COUNTLESS information that I have read, over and over for years about what axle is strong, and what isn't.
its not my truck dude. and I do have plenty of experience with Toyota axels this is the fourth truck I have owned and wheeled in 16 years with one in it including a fj40 with 300horse small block in it and I never broke any of mine I definitely have seen birfs break and usualy with a noob behind the wheel and ive seen danas on jeeps break a lot and 12 bolts and 14bolts on full size trucks with V8s break but ive never seen a dana on a Toyota in person ! everything can be broken