Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

IFS vs SAS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
Senior Clown
Werkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWerkro01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Werkro01's Avatar
Name: Rob
Joined: Feb 2013, #98432
Location: CT
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 539
Werkro01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
I'm just gonna put in my .02 & bow out before things get heated. SA Rigs= Win. IFS= moderate wheelin& street duty.
That's exactly what I'm saying. Minus the SAS=win... I think this...

=Win
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #22
Senior Member
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
tomtom's Avatar
Joined: Jul 2012, #82706
Location: The Desert SW
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,902
tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Having owned a Heep XJ and now a Tacoma, I really love the Toyota reliability but I very much miss the articulation of the solid front axle on that XJ. Never in a million years with that XJ would I have thought of running on the street without a sway bar like I do my Tacoma.

One day, after I get my money's worth out of the new gears and front locker, I'll be swapping in a solid axle.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
Senior Member
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
Joined: May 2013, #103909
Location: Bolingbrook, Il
Gender: Male
Posts: 148
slander's Tacoma Gallery
A crawl box will make your truck infinitely more capable than an SAS. I will take an IFS truck with a crawl box over a solid axle one without one any day. Ive wheeled harder trails more confidently (and in AC comfort) in my DD IFS taco than with my former trailerd jeep.

The ring and pinion in these HP front 7.5 diffs is actually about the same strength as a toyota LP 8" or a LP d44 once you get the spider gears out of there. I have actually seriously been considering an ARB and a set of RCV's up front instead of an SAS in order to keep this truck low slung and stable. And before i get "you can SAS a truck for cheaper than that" prove it (we will say less than $3k)....
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:03 PM   #25
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BradyT88's Avatar
Army: Cannon Crew Member
Joined: Nov 2011, #66419
Location: Idaho Falls
Age: 25
Posts: 29,984
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
A crawl box will make your truck infinitely more capable than an SAS. I will take an IFS truck with a crawl box over a solid axle one without one any day. Ive wheeled harder trails more confidently (and in AC comfort) in my DD IFS taco than with my former trailerd jeep.

The ring and pinion in these HP front 7.5 diffs is actually about the same strength as a toyota LP 8" or a LP d44 once you get the spider gears out of there. I have actually seriously been considering an ARB and a set of RCV's up front instead of an SAS in order to keep this truck low slung and stable. And before i get "you can SAS a truck for cheaper than that" prove it (we will say less than $3k)....
With the 7.5" clam you may want to look into a really damn strong side gear before going to stronger CV's. I've seen 3 different 1st gens snap that side gear before the CV's gave and that would be a nasty trail fix. If you upgrade your CV's you'll likely just break that side gear everytime.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #26
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
Supra TT's Avatar
Name: Eric
Joined: Jan 2011, #48645
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,401
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
First... Holy thread revival...

Second... I'll keep my POS D44 SFA over IFS with a crawl box anyday... And I have great working AC.

Third... uhm.. SFAFTMFW

Fourth..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
SAS FTW
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 05:54 PM   #27
Senior Member
Dwill817 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Joined: Jul 2011, #60590
Location: Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 579
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
Fifth: SFAFTMFW!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:46 AM   #28
Senior Member
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
Joined: May 2013, #103909
Location: Bolingbrook, Il
Gender: Male
Posts: 148
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
With the 7.5" clam you may want to look into a really damn strong side gear before going to stronger CV's. I've seen 3 different 1st gens snap that side gear before the CV's gave and that would be a nasty trail fix. If you upgrade your CV's you'll likely just break that side gear everytime.
pop in my 2wd conversion kit and drink beer at camp, that would be my trail fix!


Supra: once you wheel in 12:1 you will change your sentiment lol!!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #29
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
skidooman's Avatar
Joined: Apr 2011, #54438
Location: Elko, NV
Age: 29
Gender: Dude
Posts: 4,173
skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:06 AM   #30
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BradyT88's Avatar
Army: Cannon Crew Member
Joined: Nov 2011, #66419
Location: Idaho Falls
Age: 25
Posts: 29,984
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
pop in my 2wd conversion kit and drink beer at camp, that would be my trail fix!


Supra: once you wheel in 12:1 you will change your sentiment lol!!
That's a disappointing trail fix especially if you break one early in a week long trip.

As for the 12:1, just get an auto and you have infinity:1 and I think you mean 120:1. A stock manual already has like 30:1.

SFA has downtravel. IFS has up travel. Downtravel is very important in the rocks and up travel is very important in the desert.

Each setup has it's ups and downs.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #31
Member
Snowy is on a distinguished road
Name: Connor
Joined: Feb 2014, #122349
Location: Indianapolis
Gender: Male
Posts: 47
Snowy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
That's a disappointing trail fix especially if you break one early in a week long trip.

As for the 12:1, just get an auto and you have infinity:1 and I think you mean 120:1. A stock manual already has like 30:1.

SFA has downtravel. IFS has up travel. Downtravel is very important in the rocks and up travel is very important in the desert.

Each setup has it's ups and downs.
He's talking about pure transfer case reduction not final drive ratio. Stock is 2.57 and sucks ass with a manual in technical sections. Stick a 4.7 reduction gear case in front of a stock chain/gear case and you've got in the neighborhood of 12:1 total reduction with both in low range. Night and day difference with a stick. Auto still benefits from two stacked stock range cases. Everybody I know that has gone to dual case said it was the best single mod they have done, especially with a manual.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #32
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
IDtrucks's Avatar
Name: Mark
Joined: Jun 2010, #38254
Location: Boise ID
Gender: Guy
Posts: 18,524
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
A crawl box will make your truck infinitely more capable than an SAS. I will take an IFS truck with a crawl box over a solid axle one without one any day. Ive wheeled harder trails more confidently (and in AC comfort) in my DD IFS taco than with my former trailerd jeep.

The ring and pinion in these HP front 7.5 diffs is actually about the same strength as a toyota LP 8" or a LP d44 once you get the spider gears out of there. I have actually seriously been considering an ARB and a set of RCV's up front instead of an SAS in order to keep this truck low slung and stable. And before i get "you can SAS a truck for cheaper than that" prove it (we will say less than $3k)....
LOL


like... FUCKING LOL

also fucking wrong. sorry bud
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:19 AM   #33
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BradyT88's Avatar
Army: Cannon Crew Member
Joined: Nov 2011, #66419
Location: Idaho Falls
Age: 25
Posts: 29,984
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
He's talking about pure transfer case reduction not final drive ratio. Stock is 2.57 and sucks ass with a manual in technical sections. Stick a 4.7 reduction gear case in front of a stock chain/gear case and you've got in the neighborhood of 12:1 total reduction with both in low range. Night and day difference with a stick. Auto still benefits from two stacked stock range cases. Everybody I know that has gone to dual case said it was the best single mod they have done, especially with a manual.
I wondered if he meant that but you still should take the trans and diff gears into account. A lot of guys crawl manuals just fine when regearing the diffs. I wheel with a guy running 6.5:1 diff gears in a manual with a 1.6:1 tcase and that rig will crawl up stuff so well you would think he has dual cases.

Also a crawlbox won't do you much good without lockers so I would say a locker is a better mod among a few other mods like lifts and bigger tires. Without lockers you have to bump most obstacles (especially with IFS since it picks up tire so much easier than SFA) and a crawlbox doesn't allow for a good enough bump.

While they offer some benefit to an auto it is pretty insignificant. I am running 4.88 diff gears and with a little practice it will creep up and down anything I can get enough traction on. A crawlbox in an auto will actually push through the brakes so you have to shift into neutral or park everytime you want to stop.

I want one because it will allow me to clock the tcase and run a flat belly skid but if I look around enough I may find a clocking kit when the time comes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:38 AM   #34
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
IDtrucks's Avatar
Name: Mark
Joined: Jun 2010, #38254
Location: Boise ID
Gender: Guy
Posts: 18,524
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I wondered if he meant that but you still should take the trans and diff gears into account. A lot of guys crawl manuals just fine when regearing the diffs. I wheel with a guy running 6.5:1 diff gears in a manual with a 1.6:1 tcase and that rig will crawl up stuff so well you would think he has dual cases.

Also a crawlbox won't do you much good without lockers so I would say a locker is a better mod among a few other mods like lifts and bigger tires. Without lockers you have to bump most obstacles (especially with IFS since it picks up tire so much easier than SFA) and a crawlbox doesn't allow for a good enough bump.

While they offer some benefit to an auto it is pretty insignificant. I am running 4.88 diff gears and with a little practice it will creep up and down anything I can get enough traction on. A crawlbox in an auto will actually push through the brakes so you have to shift into neutral or park everytime you want to stop.

I want one because it will allow me to clock the tcase and run a flat belly skid but if I look around enough I may find a clocking kit when the time comes.
ive seen so many problems with people clocking the t case and having it leak and what not. I honestly wouldnt want to deal with it. Id rather just build the skid and have it hug the bottom of the t case and if its not a flat belly so be it, ill just drag it over shit
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM   #35
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BradyT88's Avatar
Army: Cannon Crew Member
Joined: Nov 2011, #66419
Location: Idaho Falls
Age: 25
Posts: 29,984
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
ive seen so many problems with people clocking the t case and having it leak and what not. I honestly wouldnt want to deal with it. Id rather just build the skid and have it hug the bottom of the t case and if its not a flat belly so be it, ill just drag it over shit
The few 2nd gens I know running clocked cases haven't had issues that I have seen.

I hit my tcase skid on everything. It's my highcenter point and it doesn't just drag over shit. I tried that and bent it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #37
Senior Member
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
MGMTacolover55's Avatar
Joined: Jan 2013, #96545
Location: Orygun
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,246
MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
wow holy thread revival. I get it now IFS is good for those who do desert running and also for those of us who do not go off road in extreme places. SAS is for the rock crawlers and trail beasts.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:25 AM   #38
Senior Member
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
Joined: May 2013, #103909
Location: Bolingbrook, Il
Gender: Male
Posts: 148
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
LOL


like... FUCKING LOL

also fucking wrong. sorry bud
Having wheeled both, I would still take a crawler over an SAS.


And yes I was referring to tcase ratios. Final drive is something like 200:1
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #39
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future
 
thegame's Avatar
Joined: Mar 2011, #52855
Location: Bay area
Age: 30
Gender: Male
Posts: 989
thegame's Tacoma Gallery
I want to hear more from the people who say solid axle swaps don't have up travel. When YOU are building it, you can make it have whatever travel numbers you want. I have almost 6" of straight up travel and 8" of down travel with zero binding. How much does IFS have?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #40
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
 
BradyT88's Avatar
Army: Cannon Crew Member
Joined: Nov 2011, #66419
Location: Idaho Falls
Age: 25
Posts: 29,984
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
I want to hear more from the people who say solid axle swaps don't have up travel. When YOU are building it, you can make it have whatever travel numbers you want. I have almost 6" of straight up travel and 8" of down travel with zero binding. How much does IFS have?
Solo Motorsports makes an LT kit that pulls 19" of travel while retaining 4wd. Most +3.5" 4wd kits pull 14". I can pull 11" on my stock length arms.

When I said SFA doesn't have uptravel, I more specifically meant it doesn't have up travel with a ride height as low as IFS does. Go try to rip a corner in the desert at 100mph with your 14" of travel SFA setup. Probably doable but an IFS setup will do it easier most of the time.

For front engine vehicles the motor just gets in the way of uptravel for SFA.
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
IFS lift vs. SAS swap??? ak47 1st Gen. Tacomas 65 06-12-2012 02:49 PM
Tacoma IFS parts/suspension (SAS sale) alove0750 1st Gen Tacoma Marketplace 30 06-07-2012 08:23 PM
Need Help : to SAS or keep IFS alove0750 1st Gen. Tacomas 140 02-20-2012 06:33 PM
Should I improve the IFS or go SAS on my Pickup? luk8272 General Automotive 30 06-22-2011 01:16 PM
SAS or IFS conversion LVTacoma 2nd Gen. Tacomas 42 07-30-2010 10:09 PM


Copyright © 2014 Tacoma Forum. Tacoma World is not owned by, or affiliated with Toyota Motor Corporation.