Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Front Differential Seal Help

Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 AM   #1
CroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of light
Name: Nick
CroResident's Tacoma Gallery
Front Differential Seal Help

I have a 1985 toyota truck with a solid axle in the front. I noticed that the seal right where the front driveshaft meets the front chunk is leaking gear oil.
I was told it may not be as simple as backing that big nut off and replacing the seal being that there is something called a crush sleeve in there and if i dont tighten it back right i could throw off the backlash for my pinion and it would be out of wack
Some one else told me all i have to do is back the nut off replace
The seal then tighten it back up.
Id appreciate any info on replacing this seal thanks in advance
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
4Runner hooligan
Kevin B. is on a distinguished road

Kevin B.'s Tacoma Gallery
You can, in theory, just back off the nut and flange and replace the seal and button it all back up. I wouldn't, myself, but that's because I'm broke as hell and can't afford to do something twice . The RIGHT way to do it is to pull the third, take out the carrier (you don't need to mess with it), then get the pinion out so you can replace the crush sleeve with a solid spacer. If you do that, you'll need to reset your pinion depth and preload and such, and that's where it all turns into black wizardry and I take it to my differential guy to make the magic happen.

Here, I found this in my bookmarks - when my rear pinion went, this is the thread that inspired me to pull the third and do it right. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyota-truck-4runner/478374-toyota-8-pinion-seal-replacement.html
Old 06-05-2013, 05:42 AM   #3
CroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of lightCroResident is a glorious beacon of light
Think i should just just pull out the old impact and go for it?
Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #4
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
I have replaced a couple hundred dozen of those seals and have learned with practiced ease a method that has never failed me so far. (knock on wood) If you take a chisel and put a small mark on the nut, and the pinion face where the nut threads onto the pinion you can remove the nut, replace the seal, then retighten the nut carefully until the marks line up. then tighten it where the mark is only a fraction past the original mark (picture in your mind about 1/8 of an inch, no more) I have done this time and time again with replacing pinion seals with crush sleeve systems and have never had a leak reoccur, or any pinion/gear problems develop. I learned this from a differential tech that I knew when I first got into this industry. He had been doing this since the 60s, and I have been doing this since the 90s with no bad results.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
4Runner hooligan
Kevin B. is on a distinguished road

Kevin B.'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroResident View Post
Think i should just just pull out the old impact and go for it?
If I were going to do it without pulling the third, I'd do it Bama's way. Sounds like he's had good success with that.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:32 AM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
I have replaced a couple hundred dozen of those seals and have learned with practiced ease a method that has never failed me so far. (knock on wood) If you take a chisel and put a small mark on the nut, and the pinion face where the nut threads onto the pinion you can remove the nut, replace the seal, then retighten the nut carefully until the marks line up. then tighten it where the mark is only a fraction past the original mark (picture in your mind about 1/8 of an inch, no more) I have done this time and time again with replacing pinion seals with crush sleeve systems and have never had a leak reoccur, or any pinion/gear problems develop. I learned this from a differential tech that I knew when I first got into this industry. He had been doing this since the 60s, and I have been doing this since the 90s with no bad results.
Thats genius man by the way i thought it was unsafe to re use that nut?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The debate over reusing those nuts is as old as rear differentials. While typically they say do not reuse the nut, I have been reusing them for years with no problems. (knocking on wood)
Old 06-06-2013, 10:23 PM   #8
All i needed to hear man ima wake up in a few hours and get after it
Old 06-07-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
i have to do my seal as well. Thanks for the great advice just in time.

The new after market seal I used the first time didnt have a dust guard so moans and got all in it and is making it leak, gotta get an oe one.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Quote:
The debate over reusing those nuts is as old as rear differentials. While typically they say do not reuse the nut, I have been reusing them for years with no problems. (knocking on wood)
Just want to let yall know i got it done
I replaced the seal and reused the nut and everything worked out perfectly...im so glad it worked haha thanks fellas
Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 AM   #11
ASE Master Tech

No problem! Glad that it all worked out for you. Just remember to always recheck everything after a couple hundred miles or so.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #12
Cool deal will do