Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

1985 3 link help

Old 07-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
toyotacrawlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Trip
toyotacrawlin's Tacoma Gallery
1985 3 link help

Hey, I've been wanting to 3 link the front of my 85 ext cab toyota. I have the rear 4 linked already. I was going to buy All Pro's kit but heard that to link the front and to be able to fit coil overs i would have to get a new axle housing or cut my frame.. does anyone know about this??? I don't want to put air shocks on it. Thanks
Old 07-01-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
I have never seen CO's on a mini axle with the stock frame... Why are you so against air shocks? The ORI's are super nice with built in limit straps and bump stops.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #3

I just want to be able to drive it in the streets with no problems.. like to the trail and what not.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I daily drive my truck linked front and rear with ORI's and i love they way they ride.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLee View Post
I daily drive my truck linked front and rear with ORI's and i love they way they ride.
Hey, what did this ORI's run you for a set? They run pretty good down the Highway? Do you have them on the front and rear?
Old 07-03-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

They cost about $1300 for a pair. (Not trying to speak for Jlee, however...) He said they drive better than the IFS he had before, feels like they are on "rails" as I pretty much remember him saying. And yes, they are on his truck front and rear.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Professionull
battlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shedbattlescars is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
battlescars's Tacoma Gallery
An air shock in your situation would suffice. I'm not too educated about air shocks because we don't use those much out here in the open desert, but I do know about the shock range level used per application.

Coilovers are good to have when you're taking your truck fast over terrain because it holds up the weight of the truck as well as allowing you to valve the shocks and not worry about shock fade.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
paranoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shedparanoid56 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

paranoid56's Tacoma Gallery
if i were to do it on my old 84 i would have used this guys kit.
http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
all the math is done for you and you can fit CO without cutting you frame. its a bit pricy, but its a super nice kit.
all reviews i have read have been positive.
Old 07-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

4WU has some seriously bling shit! It looks as if you can fit CO's depending on tire size and wheel BS, they say to call for details in order to ensure fitment.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
Darthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedDarthyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Darthyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by paranoid56 View Post
if i were to do it on my old 84 i would have used this guys kit.
http://www.4wheelunderground.com/
all the math is done for you and you can fit CO without cutting you frame. its a bit pricy, but its a super nice kit.
all reviews i have read have been positive.
this! i am most of they way through putting there kit on my 89. the kit is almost bolt on the way it fits up. they even have a shock tower that makes mounting up the c/o's super easy
Old 07-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #11
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotacrawlin View Post
Hey, what did this ORI's run you for a set? They run pretty good down the Highway? Do you have them on the front and rear?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
They cost about $1300 for a pair. (Not trying to speak for Jlee, however...) He said they drive better than the IFS he had before, feels like they are on "rails" as I pretty much remember him saying. And yes, they are on his truck front and rear.
This ^ they are great on the highway. And if your looking for a set let me know I'm a dealer For ORI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlescars View Post
An air shock in your situation would suffice. I'm not too educated about air shocks because we don't use those much out here in the open desert, but I do know about the shock range level used per application.

Coilovers are good to have when you're taking your truck fast over terrain because it holds up the weight of the truck as well as allowing you to valve the shocks and not worry about shock fade.
The ORI's are not your everyday air shock they can handle high speeds without shock fade and are fully tunable you can change the valving at the trail head if you want. I just tested mine this weekend on some rough fire roads with rock gardens and whoops and they didn't fade at all. That was about 8 miles of 50mph + speeds I know that's not fast for the desert but on this road most people don't go over 10mph.
That said ORI's will never replace coil overs and bypasses in the open desert. But they are dam good for someone who wants to run all kinds of terrain.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #12

Thanks, JLEE Will definitely be ordering within the near future. Thanks Everyone else for the input