Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

01Tac0ma SAS build..

Old 10-09-2013, 10:52 PM   #21
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
So what you're saying is this isn't really a SAC thread then. Its a I am collecting parts and may someday perform a SAC.

Because I see nothing resembling a solid axle conversion going on in here.
Nah it will happen, but still collecting a few quite expensive pieces that will keep me from doing some things twice. Rather do it all once and call it done
Old 10-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #22
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
He is doing the opposite way that I did. I had 95% of all my parts for my 85 before i even bought the truck.

Just keep collecting your parts, build your driveshafts once and post a pic every now and then to appease people skimming over your thread
Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM   #23
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtacoma01 View Post
He is doing the opposite way that I did. I had 95% of all my parts for my 85 before i even bought the truck.

Just keep collecting your parts, build your driveshafts once and post a pic every now and then to appease people skimming over your thread
Exactly. Another thing that's really what's holding me up the most is lack of work space.. I'm in a little single car garage now and I can't afford to park my truck and rear it apart for weeks or a month at a time cause I use that space for a lot of others trucks as well.. But hopefully around the first of the year I'll be getting the new shop built and ill have 5x the space I'm working out of now so I'm just being patient and trying to save up for everything I want to do the first time rather than doing things twice
Old 01-02-2014, 04:44 PM   #24
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed. You should be able to knock this out quick if you're getting all you parts before you start
Old 01-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head View Post
Subbed. You should be able to knock this out quick if you're getting all you parts before you start
At this rate it'll never happen
Old 01-02-2014, 05:17 PM   #26
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard1992 View Post
At this rate it'll never happen
Haha yeah well I'm looking forward to seeing it
Old 02-05-2014, 05:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Head View Post
Haha yeah well I'm looking forward to seeing it
Put in for a good job and made it to the interview process so if all goes as planned and I get it then ill be making an order with RST and picking up the few small things I still need... Just got a new larger working area to build sliders/bumpers etc. so have an extra bay to park the truck for down time
Old 02-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #28
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
why was i not informed about this thread?
Old 03-25-2014, 09:41 PM   #29

Well I finally have a few updates.

Got around to some slow time and pulled the axle apart to find some unwanted news.. fluids had been drained (no big deal) but the guy who had it before me had it stored outside apparently and first clue I found was some rust splotches on the axle shafts as well as water beads so I got the 3rd out and its rusted up pretty solid..

So.... I got the housing all shined up and clean, cut the old TG truss that was crooked as hell on the axle off an found a new 3rd with already installed 4:88's for $250 from Rustys R&P. Picked it up and finished cleaning the knuckles and birfs and found all the kings and seals, felts, tie rod ends, ubolt flip, spare brake lines etc locally as an overstock so going to pick all that up soon as well and hopefully get a new sheet of plate to get a new truss built.

Still planning to be leaf sprung for now and will likely run glass front shaft for a little while as I wait on the taco box to get here ( no point I doing shafts twice )... but hopefully wont be too far down the road.

As of now only things I need to start cutting are the pwr steering hose conversion, steering shaft, rear 4:88 R&P, most likely new pwr steering pump but not needed right away.

anyway heres a few pics

Old 04-14-2014, 06:37 PM   #30
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Anymore movement on this project? I'd really love to see how this comes together. Love it when people build there stuff in their garage or drive way.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post
Anymore movement on this project? I'd really love to see how this comes together. Love it when people build there stuff in their garage or drive way.
Thanks man nothing yet, still waiting on a piece of plate to build the truss then honestly trying my hardest to also wait to just 3 link from the get go but im ancy so it will probably end up leaf sprung. have started selling 4wd parts though, just waiting on a decent job to help fund it. Also having to get a new tube bender so that take a good chunk out of my taco box fund
Old 05-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #32

Well I finally took the plunge and started cutting.

Plan was to start Monday but unbolting IFS components Friday led to another and well the ifs fell off this afternoon after my plasma decided to take a shit so I had to use cutoff wheels

Anyway, All ifs components and brackets have been removed along with the radiator. Swapped oil pans and pickup tubes and got the axle 2/3 the way assembled. Grinding day is tomorrow and will hopefully get all the excess junk off the frame and cleaned up and start tacking hangers up and into place.

Few pics

Old 05-11-2014, 07:08 AM   #33
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Man!!!... Now I know why I love it out west. All that caked on mud. I hate mud.

But good to see you've started.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:34 AM   #34

Quote:
Man!!!... Now I know why I love it out west. All that caked on mud. I hate mud.

But good to see you've started.
Whats crazy is I don't even touch mud! only mud it sees is what may be collected in a rock garden or a small puddle on a trail.. I avoid any mud at all costs if possible! but once im done I plan to take a pressure washer to it.. hoping to finish up sometime mid next week, have to wait on Praxair to open so I can get some more gas and other random items and wont be till Tuesday that my other parts needed to finish come in. I added it up on page one and im at $3700 so far and projected to be around $4500 once complete. not including the crawl box... Im still planning to get that from you guys sometime hopefully sooner than later!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:00 PM   #35
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
Whats crazy is I don't even touch mud! only mud it sees is what may be collected in a rock garden or a small puddle on a trail.. I avoid any mud at all costs if possible! but once im done I plan to take a pressure washer to it.. hoping to finish up sometime mid next week, have to wait on Praxair to open so I can get some more gas and other random items and wont be till Tuesday that my other parts needed to finish come in. I added it up on page one and im at $3700 so far and projected to be around $4500 once complete. not including the crawl box... Im still planning to get that from you guys sometime hopefully sooner than later!

Awesome man. Keep me in touch when you finish this. Wanna see some good wheeling pics. Good job man.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Awesome man. Keep me in touch when you finish this. Wanna see some good wheeling pics. Good job man.
Surely will! Still waiting on gears for the rear then ill throw the front shaft in place one they are here so im not tempted.. but I have some trips planned in the near future.

Had a short day today
Got the passenger frame rail cleaned, body mount cut and jig in place, front crossmember and frame notched for the front hangers around 1" into the frame and most of the passenger frame rail clean.. No plasma so cutting the coil bucket is taking its toll with a cutoff wheel but once that sides done it should be pretty smooth sailing.. I hope.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:58 PM   #37

Guess its about time I update this poor left out like an abused dog of a thread... Looks like I left everyone hanging mid grinding day... woops

Well I don't have very many pics from grinding and setting everything up etc but ill dig up what I have.

Heres the closest I have.. basically everything is in place at this point.

I ended up not using the front TG hangers and instead went to the plasma table and cut some new hangers out that moved the leafs forward about an inch as well as up as far as possible to go along with the hangers being frenched into the frame about an inch. I already had the addicted offroad front bumper which uses a crossmember that welds over both frame rails so I cut it off and started notching it for the new front hangers.

First time under its own weight

The new radiator that's supposed to work for SAS didn't sit down far enough due to the front hangers being pushed up into the frame so I got my hands on a smaller 22re radiator and made some custom mounts for it and went for a test drive.. sure enough worked perfect and never got any hotter than before with the stock radiator.. so I let it ride for now and its been goo upto now! (So if anyone needs a brand new radiator I have one as well as my old one that has a very small slow leak)

first flex pics

Still had slop in the steering wheel and the annoying steering wheel clank when going over bumps so I pulled the steering column and took it apart to tack the slide together in the middle of the column

Also cleaned up the spaghetti mess of wires under the dash and re bedlined my floors for good this time

at this point everything sort of came to a stand still since my stock power steering pump had finally bit the shit after whining for a year or so now so I parked it while I waited on the TG PS pump to arrive.

Made some tube doors while I waited

Pump showed up and its like turning air! so smooth now!

Sold my toolbox and went to pick up a softopper from a fellow member. Bed bob will come in time to match the 5' softop.

Finally got around to ordering gears for the rear and am currently awaiting install... but currently got a set of 33's to ride on for a little
while.

& heres a pic of the shackle angle

Old 08-17-2014, 08:17 PM   #38

Picked up some twin sticks and had a week alone out of town so spent the week putting them in, Football season is near and in the heart of South Carolina we bleed garnet so it was only fitting..

Still need to get the shock hoops in place but that's all that's currently missing.. Was wanting to wait and see how much it'd settle before I put them in. hoops are bent just got to cut tabs to bolt the shocks up!

So naturally even being 2wd I had to go test them but took it rather easy as im basically learning a new vehicle, but im super stoked and happy with everything! even being a prerunner she pretty much went wherever I pointed & on road I have absolutely no complaints!! now to the pics!

Idea of ride height next to bilsteins and eibachs.
Im around 5" over stock if I had to guess. 23.5" frame to ground

2Lo walking the truck

Old 08-18-2014, 05:35 AM   #39
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good! 23.5" frame height with what size tire?
Old 08-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Looks good! 23.5" frame height with what size tire?
Thanks man! Theyre 33's. Will be going to 35's for daily use. Shock hoops and bed bob hopefully getting started this week. Told you id get it done eventually lol not the best setup out there by any means but for me so far its obviously superior.. I really wanted to wheel leafs before I link anyhow so when I swap to links ill actually be able to tell the difference.