Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Addicted Offroad's Double Cab. Project "Frenchy"

Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
AddictedOffroad's Tacoma Gallery
Addicted Offroad's Double Cab. Project "Frenchy"

We are building this for a customer up in Dillon, CO.

Its a 2001 Tacoma Double Cab. Elocked. Pretty mild rig to be honest.

The plan is TG kit "C" which some mods to lower the ride height. We are going to french the springs hangers into the frame/crossmember up front to help lower the ride height. Customer plans on 35s for this rig, and I am confident we can deliver it with a frame height around 24" on TG leafs.

The rear will be more of the same with custom frenched spring hangers to lower it.

We already have it on the lift and have started assembling the front axle. FWIW, the TG Rock Assault housings have come a long way in quality since they were first released. Its a nice piece and much better than stock. Its still not a Diamond, but its good for the weekend wheeler and DD that this truck will be when done.

The rest of the build will consist of 5.29s, ARB up front, and 35s. We will also be building custom front plate bumper instead of our normal tube bumper for these.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
AddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud ofAddictedOffroad has much to be proud of
Got the front axle all sexy today.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
OneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shedOneWheelDrive is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
OneWheelDrive's Tacoma Gallery
Um, subbed
Old 09-04-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Sit back and watch people this is how it's done when doing leafs

Sub
Old 09-06-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Name: Kev
06tacomakev's Tacoma Gallery
Very interested in seeing how this is done. I am wanting the same thing. A mild build on 35's. I have an 06 access cab. Been debating coils or leafs. Frenchy is to be a daily driver as well then or a tow rig?
Very excited for this build!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06tacomakev View Post
Very interested in seeing how this is done. I am wanting the same thing. A mild build on 35's. I have an 06 access cab. Been debating coils or leafs. Frenchy is to be a daily driver as well then or a tow rig?
Very excited for this build!
Daily driver. Dillon, CO is basically Silverthorne, CO. 9500ft in elevation. So, it will be running around in the snow/ice 5mo out of the year.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Pulled the bed to get the rear frame plates welded in. We will also have to drop the tank to get the frenched hanger in later.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
kemosabee is on a distinguished road

Name: James
kemosabee's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to kemosabee Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabee
Awesome build, interested in final product.
Old 09-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #11
06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold06tacomakev is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
Daily driver. Dillon, CO is basically Silverthorne, CO. 9500ft in elevation. So, it will be running around in the snow/ice 5mo out of the year.
Good to know. That blue access cab in the background looks like mine.
Out of curiosity, you guys being an established shop. You have 90% of the parts you need already. You think 2 weeks of labour and fab on something like this or do you have it dialed down a little better. Obviously some tweeks near the end
thx
kev
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Good to know. That blue access cab in the background looks like mine.
Out of curiosity, you guys being an established shop. You have 90% of the parts you need already. You think 2 weeks of labour and fab on something like this or do you have it dialed down a little better. Obviously some tweeks near the end
thx
kev
If you've got all your parts, I mean ALL of your parts, you can get it done in a weekend. My old truck was cut up on Friday night and drove to In N Out on Sunday night SAS'd.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
If you've got all your parts, I mean ALL of your parts, you can get it done in a weekend. My old truck was cut up on Friday night and drove to In N Out on Sunday night SAS'd.
This is good to know. Is that with everything worked out no bugs or should a few more days be factored in.
I am asking because it gives one an idea of the shop time involved if someone were to get a quote
Old 09-07-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is good to know. Is that with everything worked out no bugs or should a few more days be factored in.
I am asking because it gives one an idea of the shop time involved if someone were to get a quote
All this SFA BS should be asked about here http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sol...bs-thread.html

Nice updates Scotty
Old 09-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
I understand wanting to keep the SAC bs thread in its own thing but at the same time I am wondering how a setup shop handles this as opposed to a home mechanic.
If I feel that my questions are straying from this build than I will direct them to the other thread.
Thx for the heads up
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
cant wait to see how this turns out
Old 09-07-2013, 11:04 PM   #17
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yup, no issues.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
No chance of doing this in two days short of pulling 18hr days with several buddies helping out. These later trucks are a lot more labor than the early 86-95 models.

Typically we need the rig in house for three weeks to finish it and dial it all in.

We have done early trucks in 3 days with just the front and rear kits assuming the axle is fully assembled when you start.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #19
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
looking forward to seeing this come together

that is a nice looking 2nd gen in the back
Old 09-10-2013, 04:35 PM   #20
WUT?

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedOffroad View Post
No chance of doing this in two days short of pulling 18hr days with several buddies helping out. These later trucks are a lot more labor than the early 86-95 models.

Typically we need the rig in house for three weeks to finish it and dial it all in.

We have done early trucks in 3 days with just the front and rear kits assuming the axle is fully assembled when you start.
I know they are more labor. My previous truck was a 98 Tacoma and I had literally everything ready to rock meaning a complete front axle sitting on tires and wheels. Chop, grind, weld, roll the axle under, figure out steering, done.