Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Is this 14Bolt worth Saving

Old 10-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

Name: Ben
BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to BenMara
Is this 14Bolt worth Saving

This Van Width 14bolt has been dropped off to me as a trade. 70" WMS i think
Its been out in the weather for years.

Old 10-18-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
I've just had an apostrophe.
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Noel
Noelie84's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMara View Post
This Van Width 14bolt has been dropped off to me as a trade.
*bunch of pictures*
That would really depend on what you're going to be "saving" it for...
For a woods trailer or something of that nature, it's probably fine as it sits. To put it onto a vehicle? That'll depend on what kind of shape the guts are in.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:18 PM   #3
Asian RedNeck
BenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to allBenMara is a name known to all

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
I was eventually wanting to put 1tons under my Taco
Old 10-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #4
Noelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNoelie84 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I was eventually wanting to put 1tons under my Taco
I see.
Well, from the pictures the axle tubes and pumpkin look like they're in decent shape...The backing plates on the drums look ok too...
But honestly, you're going to have to open her up to be sure. Chipped spiders and Ring gears are replaceable, obviously, but the price adds up if you have to. Same goes for axle shafts themselves. At the very least, if it's been sitting outside for that long, you're probably going to be looking at all new seals and maybe bearings.
The only way to be sure without knowing the history of it is going to be to clean it up and strip it down, honestly. If you don't do that, it's a coin toss.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
guess ill have to open it up next free weekend
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #6
GhostDog86 will become famous soon enough

Name: Max
GhostDog86's Tacoma Gallery
I could be wrong but it looks like a semi-floater. The SF might be stronger than what you have now but a full floater is much stronger.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:07 PM   #7
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Its a FF, Seized shoes on drums how fun....
Old 10-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Its a FF, Seized shoes on drums how fun....
Use the bolt trick. There should be a pair of threaded holes in the drums that you can run bolts through. Use Grade 8's; I've had 5's snap before.
Thread the bolts in until they hit the backing plate, tighten them down (with a ratchet! DO NOT use an airgun!) and then whack around the drum with a deadblow hammer. Repeat. Repeat. You'll be able to tell when the shoes break loose from the drums; after that it's easy.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
The only thing you will reuse on that axle is the housing itself, and the shafts. If the housings solid you're good to go. You will be replacing all the internals (carrier, gears, seals, etc.) and (hopefully, if you're smart) ditching all the brake components for a disc setup anyways.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #10
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Considering most 14bolts out there are bent anyway, i would run it. Like NWI said you will be gutting it anyway.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:43 PM   #11
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
Bent? Plz explain
Old 07-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #12
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
oct 2013
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #13
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
housing was fine when i broke it down, same with shafts.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:50 AM   #14
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Use it!
Old 07-24-2014, 07:40 AM   #15
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
i will as soon as $ is enough to SAS my taco
Old 07-25-2014, 08:25 AM   #16
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Bent? Plz explain

Most were on tow trucks, pickups, cab and chassis trucks and vans that are 30+ yrs old and got used. I have built/helped build 3 14 bolts and they were all bent in some way and needed straightening which is no big deal.
Old 07-25-2014, 08:28 AM   #17
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
oct 2013
I need to learn to check the dates in solid axle forum. This isnt the grille insert or headlight forum, so there is low turnover on the posts....
Old 07-25-2014, 08:31 AM   #18
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This Van Width 14bolt has been dropped off to me as a trade. 70" WMS i think

Yes. Yes yes... 14bolts are VERY saught after. Take a peak around pirate4x4 and you'll see what i mean.

OP: Did you end up using it?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:54 AM   #19
Asian RedNeck

BenMara's Tacoma Gallery
its been broken down and cleaned up, just need more $ to sas my taco.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:05 AM   #20
Smoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really niceSmoke is just really nice
Smoke's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome. So you're converting this to a front axle with the D60 hub conversion? Or are you going to use this as a rear?