Notices

Starting my SAS tomorrow on my 97 :)

Old 10-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #21
im gooby is on a distinguished road
Name: Johnathan
im gooby's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
First time I have ever heard of a 8" high pinion lc80 axle called a toyota rockwell. Its a friggin 8". Doesnt matter what it came out of. Its an 8" or a 9.5" thats all they came with. And you better look into hellfire knuckles for highsteer and longfields if youre actually gonna wheel this thing.

Subbed so I can learn the "right way" lol. Haha
You don't actually realize that there's a difference between a regular LC80 series and an industrial one made by the industrial side of toyota.

How's about you go play in traffic and wait until the finished product to pass judgement?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:10 PM   #22
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by im gooby View Post
We understand that it is not plug and play. The donor truck is a 2001, so 12 years old as opposed to 30.

I live in Manitoba, and heim joints are illegal on every aspect of the vehicle. If we could use them we would.

We have two options with the 3 link. Either making a sub frame for the stock arms or make a custom set up. We are leaning more towards the custom, the first option was just what we had discussed prior to looking too heavily into the topic.

The beautiful thing about the steering knuckles is they are reversible. The major down side to the front axle is the steering arms are on the bottom and raise to about mid axle. There is a kit to switch the steering to the top, but we are shooting to use the stock arms as they will be adequate for the intended purpose.

We got under the donor truck today and found out that the steering box has been removed - my guy doesn't remember removing it, so we are thinking someone jumped his fence and stole it.

Also realized that my comparison measurements for my trucks height have been compared to my dads 03 DC PreRunner with sagged springs. Measurement is 25"(this will increase when the front goes up, may not be much but it will)

I appreciate the criticism, and the help.
25" is a good height, and after the swap you may even be lower in the front than you think. Either way, I'd remove those lift blocks and build yourself some longer shackles to accommodate the height difference for the rear. The leaf springs cause axle wrap enough, blocks don't need to help it!

Take plenty photos, we all love photos. And I'm sure more constructive criticism will be given throughout the build. Chose to take it if you will
Old 10-30-2013, 05:13 PM   #23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
25" is a good height, and after the swap you may even be lower in the front than you think. Either way, I'd remove those lift blocks and build yourself some longer shackles to accommodate the height difference. The leaf springs cause axle wrap enough, blocks don't need to help it!

Take plenty photos, we all love photos. And I'm sure more constructive criticism will be given throughout the build. Chose to take it if you will
The plan is to remove the blocks and make up for the height difference, again something we plan on tackling when we get to the rear axle. Plenty of photos is the plan, and I am someone who likes to use constructive criticism to improve upon what the criticism is given
Old 10-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious, $1500 for some beat Toy axles, why not tons instead? It seems you could get a set of SW tons for less than a 8" LC80, but then again I'm not in Canada.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone Taco View Post
Just curious, $1500 for some beat Toy axles, why not tons instead? It seems you could get a set of SW tons for less than a 8" LC80, but then again I'm not in Canada.
First off, I love in Manitoba, Canada and it's basically a place where modifying your vehicle is a crime. Tons would be way too wide, where as the toy axles should be wide enough to not get me into shit from authorities but still increase my track by a few inches.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #26
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
First off, I love in Manitoba, Canada and it's basically a place where modifying your vehicle is a crime. Tons would be way too wide, where as the toy axles should be wide enough to not get me into shit from authorities but still increase my track by a few inches.
Gotcha. Think you have got a pretty cool project going on. Just to play devil's advocate, do you guys have H1 beadlocks readily available up there?
Old 10-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #27
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You don't actually realize that there's a difference between a regular LC80 series and an industrial one made by the industrial side of toyota.

How's about you go play in traffic and wait until the finished product to pass judgement?
Yeah I do, no difference at all. Since you think youre an expert why dont you tell us what the difference is? Pardon me for not taking your word since apparently you have the only special landcruiser axle ever made. Put a fucking tape measure across the ring gear and take a damn picture noob.

I know a toyota axle and I don't care what some clown thinks, its a run of the mill land cruiser axle with 4.30s instead of 4.10s. Big deal.

Now post up or shut up.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:58 PM   #28
Quote:
Gotcha. Think you have got a pretty cool project going on. Just to play devil's advocate, do you guys have H1 beadlocks readily available up there?
I don't know of anyone who has them, but I'm sure my fab guy does. Down side is bead locks are also illegal in Canada D:
Old 10-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #29
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't know of anyone who has them, but I'm sure my fab guy does. Down side is bead locks are also illegal in Canada D:
Damn, that sucks.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #30
Quote:
Yeah I do, no difference at all. Since you think youre an expert why dont you tell us what the difference is? Pardon me for not taking your word since apparently you have the only special landcruiser axle ever made. Put a fucking tape measure across the ring gear and take a damn picture noob.

I know a toyota axle and I don't care what some clown thinks, its a run of the mill land cruiser axle with 4.30s instead of 4.10s. Big deal.

Now post up or shut up.
I never said I had the only special landcruiser axle. They are a strong solid axle and they're fairly rare in Canada. I said taco sized rockwells to compare strength. Never actually meant they were "Toyota rockewlls". I'm not an expert and I never claimed to be.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #31
Quote:
Damn, that sucks.
Sometimes I wish I lived in 'Merica, others I'm glad to live in Canada.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #32
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sometimes I wish I lived in 'Merica, others I'm glad to live in Canada.
You are probably better off where you are. We have our perks, but we also have a hell of alot of drawbacks. If we keep on like we are, I might be trying to get a permanent place up there.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
Quote:
You are probably better off where you are. We have our perks, but we also have a hell of alot of drawbacks. If we keep on like we are, I might be trying to get a permanent place up there.
Most of the time, when I wish I lived in the US it's vehicle related. Haha
Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #34
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I never said I had the only special landcruiser axle. They are a strong solid axle and they're fairly rare in Canada. I said taco sized rockwells to compare strength. Never actually meant they were "Toyota rockewlls". I'm not an expert and I never claimed to be.
They why do you keep telling us we are wrong and its a special axle?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #35
Quote:
They why do you keep telling us we are wrong and its a special axle?
By we you mean you. And becaus this is what my fab guy was lead to believe when he got the truck from the person who have it to him. After doing some research it is an LC80 housing with 4:30 gears. *Slowly eats words previously spoken/typed*
Old 10-30-2013, 06:40 PM   #36
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
bead locks are not illigal, they have to be dot approved, and there are some beadlocks that are...also KMC make a decent beadlock that you can get at any kaltire...
Old 10-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #37
Vaginas are rad.

Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
bead locks are not illigal, they have to be dot approved, and there are some beadlocks that are...also KMC make a decent beadlock that you can get at any kaltire...
Are USDOT approved beadlocks usually also Canadian approved? Probably a dumb question, but I'm curious.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:45 PM   #38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
*intrest peaked* going to have to find out more about these bead locks
Old 10-30-2013, 07:11 PM   #39
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Are USDOT approved beadlocks usually also Canadian approved? Probably a dumb question, but I'm curious.
actually thats a good question i have no idea. actually give me a min i have a cop friend
Old 10-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #40

fyi gooby kaltire can get any wheel from wheelpros.com

and also cop friend verified dot, us dot is good for Canadian dot