Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Tacoma SAS Part One: Dana 44 Rebuild

Old 12-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
tacoma02 is just really nicetacoma02 is just really nicetacoma02 is just really nicetacoma02 is just really nice
tacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Tacoma SAS Part One: Dana 44 Rebuild

The intent of this build thread is to provide a step by step account of the procedures and equipment necessary to complete a solid axle swap on a 1st Gen Toyota Tacoma. I will start off with rebuilding the axle, with the hopes of eventually putting it on the truck. I wanted to mention that I am a college student and this build is on a budget! I will be including all of the parts and tools I have purchased during the build. Since I’m fairly new to all of this myself, this has been taking me a lot of time and research and I’m still learning as I go. Hopefully this build thread will help cut down research time if you decide to one day tackle this project yourself.

Truck:
2002 Toyota Tacoma
4x4
2.7L 3rz-fe Engine (4 cyl)
Single Cab
Automatic Transmission
165,000 miles

Axle:
1979 Jeep J10
Front Dana 44 (10 Bolt)
Low pinion

I chose to use a Dana 44 axle with a driver’s side differential for simplicity reasons. It matches up with the trucks existing transfer case and has 6x5 ½ bolt pattern to match rims. It also has a 61”wms which also seems to be the best track length to work with without having to modify the length of the axle. From my understanding these axles can be found underneath late 70’s to early 90’s Jeep J10’s and Grand Wagoneer’s without a vacuum disconnect (which can easily be identified by the “goofy” shaped differential equipped with a vacuum disconnect).

This is a great link, helping you identify drivers side Dana 44 axles, their specifications, and flat top knuckles/high steer.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.htm

I picked up the axle from a guy off of craigslist for $100. Just as a warning, these axles (with everything on them) are very heavy! You will need at least two guys to move it.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
tacoma02 is just really nicetacoma02 is just really nicetacoma02 is just really nicetacoma02 is just really nice
Once on jack stands, I began disassembly, starting off with a small Allen wrench and removing the small bolts holding the locking hub covers in place.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
After the covers are removed, use a “Snap-Ring Pliers” to remove the outer most snap ring within the hub. You can pick up Snap-Ring Pliers and any local automotive store.

The next snap ring is kind of hidden, down along the inside wall of the hub assembly. Too extract it you will need a small pick, a screw driver, and some patience. Find the gap between the two ends of the large snap ring and use the pick to get up underneath one end and a screw driver to hold the other end in place. Then continue to pry the snap ring upwards and move the pick along until the ring pops out.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
Once both snap rings are out, use a needle nose pliers to remove the locking hub assembly.

Next a 1/2 inch drive “spindle socket” is required to loosen the spindle nut.

Spindle Socket- AutoZone # 15006-01
Old 12-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #8

After removing the first spindle nut, another one needs to be removed using the same socket.

With both spindle nuts off, the entire hub assembly can be removed.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
The rusted dust shield connected to the brake bracket basically fell right off after removing the single bolt.

Using a socket wrench, remove the brake caliper bracket… after using a small propane torch and lots of PB Blaster!

After removing all of the nuts, grab a hammer and knock off the bracket.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
WittyTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Greyson
WittyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post

down for the show! has the potential to be the most detailed sas ever if it starts with an allen wrench!
Ahahaha best comment possible for this thread!
Edit: Also subscribed! And good luck
Old 12-30-2013, 08:25 PM   #11
When you blow off steam you get an eyepatch
YFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ450MOE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Machinery Technician
Name: Moe
YFZ450MOE's Tacoma Gallery
I used a flathead and a hammer for my spindle nuts haha! Then a Bolt holding the spindle on stripped out the knuckle on my 71 bronco. Awesome build thread! Keep the pics and detailed write ups coming boss. +1
Old 12-30-2013, 09:14 PM   #12
The next step was to remove the spindle itself……..the worst step while disassembling the axle by far! Years of exposure to Wisconsin weather and salt unfortunately led to rusty fusion between the spindle and the knuckle. The first spindle actually took me over three hours to remove. I found that the best way to tackle this was to first heat the base of the knuckle and spindle with a small torch for avery long time, followed by repeated blows with a hammer and chisel along the edge (while emptying the bottle of PB Blaster). You can also hit the spindle with the hammer, placing a block of wood in between to prevent damaging the spindle! Once you get a small gap, tap a flat head screw driver on the opposite side you’re chiseling to keep the gap from closing. Repeat this while continuing to work around the spindle.

Once there was a large enough gap, I rented a "Slide Hammer" from AutoZone. I attached it to the end of the spindle using the spindle nuts previously removed. This beat up the spindle nuts (a sacrifice I was willing to make) but after a few pulls with the hammer, the spindle finally broke free.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #13
After celebrating, I removed a couple seals and was able to gently pull the axle shaft from the housing.

Be careful not damage the end of the axle shafts. For now I have the ends wrapped in cardboard and kept out of the way.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
I like to break shit!
fireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireturk41 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Kevin
fireturk41's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to fireturk41
This thread makes me tear up. I miss my truck
Old 12-31-2013, 08:09 AM   #17
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Nice job so far, looking forward to when it's done. One thing I'd like to mention is keep the font to the original size so we can read it easier. Thanks!!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:19 AM   #19
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Noiccccccccccce. I'll whip out some
Old 12-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
To remove the nut from the upper ball joint, heat it until its nearly glowing. This way you can easliy bust the rusty cotter pin in the center while turing the nut. I used a large cresent wrench, hitting the end of the wrench while turning to break the nut free.

Removing the lower ball joint nut is a little more difficult since its harder to get at. Again, heat the nut for a while and use a large breaker bar to break it free. You will need either a 1-1/4" or 1-5/16" socket.

After removing both nuts, use a hammer to pound the knuckle free from the outer "C."