Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

My re- SAS 05 DCAB build

Old 01-28-2014, 03:37 PM   #1
Dynamite Design Josh
I8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
My re- SAS 05 DCAB build

Well I have been pushed by a few members to do a build thread. I am a long time lurker on most of the Toyota threads but figured I would put my build thread up here on TW. A little background my truck to fill you in on why this is a "re-SAS" not just an SAS. I bought this truck off the forums. to be exact Im not sure if i bought it from TTORA or TW but I found it on one or the other. the original owner and the person who did the first SAS is "Brinner". I am not sure when it was SASed originally but I do know the truck was bought from toyota of Dallas Tx and then moved to Ohio and Indiana. TW's very own NWItaco was at the IFS removal party, which is Ironic but more on that later…The truck was then sold to "Hawaianbro" and moved to Kiln, Mississippi. he put it up for sale and I found it. I drove it home the 726 miles first time I saw it. when I bought it it looked like this

so when I got hoe I had all ready knew a few things that needed to be fixed. the frame had a lot of rust on it from the northern climate and then the costal Mississippi climate, there was a slight shimmy in the steering, the tires hit the lower links at both left and right extremes, and there was a set CEL.
Right of the bat I went after the CEL which I still haven't fixed almost a year and a half later. I knew that the links would need to be moved as well as the axel to currect the steering issues. I head discovered that the tie rod and drag link actually cross each other. below are a few pics to show the over all condition of the vehicle when I bought it

Old 01-28-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
Dynamite Design Josh
I8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedI8AJEEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
you can tell from the last picture that as soon as I got home I put new tires on it since I drove the 726 miles home from mississippi on nearly bald Swamper TSL. But all the pictures show how bad the build really was. At some point I realized that it was all just crap. the front dana 44 was too small for this truck. the factory rear TRD toy 8" was too small for this truck as well. the entire suspension, steering, and brakes were total garbage. most of it worked, some of it worked better than other stuff but none of it was neat, none of it was safe, none of it worked well. So the plan became completely cut all of it off and start from scratch. re do it all. It was bought as a project any how so I didn't mind having a time and money eating monster sitting in my drive. the really cool thing is my wife knew that going in too. Now with that said I was not a newb to toyotas, wheeling, or the SAS. I had been big into all of those a few years ago and do to my work life, and putting my wife threw Pharmacy school I stopped playing with trucks for a while.
I have patiently lurked on the forums for many years waiting and saving for the day to build another truck to come. I will not be so arrogant as to say I know what I am doing with the second gen Tacos so I am getting a little help.
My fabricator who actually lives 20 minutes from me used to work for Wideopen design. he had a lot of input and time building their blower buggy. this guy has wicked skills. I am sure he will chime in here sooner or later but has recently moved back to NC and is trying to get his business up and running here. I feel very very blessed to have him so close and so willing to work with me on this project…yes I am going to help him.
I am also very lucky to have the forums and a few brave souls who have already paved the path and gotten it right. One of those guys is Mark (NWITaco) he has spent god knows how long emailing, talking to me, and even building some of the core components like the link brackets for me. So thanks again buddy.
here are a few pictures to show how it is sitting right now

and the teasers

Old 01-29-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
Dynamite Design Josh

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
few more parts getting ready to ship out from Mark (NWItaco)

Old 01-29-2014, 11:41 AM   #5
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Nice...
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
Boogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoogyman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phoenix
Boogyman's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:47 AM   #7
la0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shedla0d0g is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
la0d0g's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogyman View Post
sub'd!
Yep, pass it over
Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #8
Hritz has a spectacular aura aboutHritz has a spectacular aura aboutHritz has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trevor
Hritz's Tacoma Gallery
cant wait! subbed for sure!
Old 01-29-2014, 11:53 AM   #10
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Little hacktacular there, shouldn't be to hard to make right.
Old 01-29-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
XxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXxTHe FioLOxX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
XxTHe FioLOxX's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed!
Old 01-29-2014, 05:13 PM   #13
Dynamite Design Josh

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
I have had a few PMs on this asking about the snorkel with glass fenders. I will address that here. the fenders both the front and back are Rock Star Krew. I am happy I guess with them. they are fiber glass parts. the price was cheaper than all the other glass manufactures. shipping was a lot cheaper as well. he shipped Greyhound Frieght. so I had to go to the bus station and pick them up which is a bit of a hassle since the bus station is 50 minutes from me. The front and rear shipped separately. so I was a bit pissed about making two trips to the city. both times the fenders were just wrapped together with shrink wrap. no padding. or cardboard or any thing so needless to say I had some repair work to do when I got them. Though time consuming everything worked out…I guess I was lucky they were not destroyed. fitment was a pain in the ass on the fronts. it took me and a professions body man 8 hours to do the front fenders. the rear fenders dropped on in about 2 hours with just me working on it…like they should.
the weekend after I put all the glass on I built a snorkel. the material list is pretty freaking simple.
x2- 45* 2" mandrel bend
x1- 90* 2" mandrel bend
x2- stainless hose clamps
x1- ARB snorkel intake
JB weld
misc. bolts and scrap steel for mounting
the mandrel bends came from poly performance. The hose, I think is actually a bilge pump hose came from west marine, and I have a few extra. the ARB snorkel intake came off ebay
I took off the passenger side fender and mocked up the two 45* bends for what I wanted my snorkel pipe to look like. got every thing good to go and welded it all up. I used big but mig would be fine. added some mounting brackets. one is on the bottom of the intake tube and bolt it to the inner fender sub structure. the other used a bracket I fabricated and two small tabs
the bracket actually bolts through the "A" pillar. when it was all mocked up I put the fender back on and cut a small whole in about the center of where I thought the snorkel would come up. then I used a combination of a jig saw and a dremel to open the hole up until I had about a 1/4" all the way around the snorkel. This was very very time consuming. put snorkel in take measurements, make hole bigger put snorkel back in…repeat over and over until that gap is achieved. the idea with the gap is I planed to use flexible vinyl edge trim kinda like a trim gasket. it will give a little play between the fiberglass and the rigid snorkel. when the fit was to my liking I too the snorkel out cleaned it up sanded down the welds and JB weld filled the low spots and hand sanded smooth. then it went to the powder coater. I too the 90* bend and cut it down and basically JB welded it into the stock air intake hole inside the pass side fender. the rubber hose goes between the two pieces of metal.
here are some pictures of mock up

in the last one you can see how I set up the bracket to mount to the "A" pillar and have the tabs on the snorkel tube with a bolt passing through as a pin.

fresh back from the powder coater and assembled to check finial fit

that is what it looks like as of now. you can see the vinyl trim piece and how small the gap is now. I am really pleased with the final result. MUCH cleaner in my opinion that any of the other snorkels I have seen on glass fenders. you can also see I have beaten most of the body damage out and fixed the rocker panels, upgraded the hood to a sport hood scoop model and there is a 09 color matched grill in there as well.
Old 01-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #14
Dynamite Design Josh

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
Little hacktacular there, shouldn't be to hard to make right.
that is an understatement. you are more than welcome to come on up to lexington when it gets plasma time.
as far as the rear goes I still haven't decided if I am going leafs or links. I am mainly concerned about the front at this moment. I am shooting for a pretty low frame height on 37 so we will see how it turns out
Old 01-29-2014, 05:40 PM   #15
Dynamite Design Josh

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
I like this, i like this alot

when you brought it home, i cant quite tell from the blurry pictures but was the front leaf hanger.... spaced down from the frame with round tubing? it looks like they are just hanging out down there off the frame
no the rear hangers are spaced down with tube. the front…those are the bump stops
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Dynamite Design Josh

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
oh shit, i meant to say rear. no clue why i said front. clearly the front is not leaf sprung my bad ha
its cool…its all shit as far as I am concerned. but it is about to change…
The shave plates TIGed on…let get ready to blow some money on axel parts!!!

Old 02-04-2014, 09:25 AM   #18
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Interested to see how this all turns out!

What's you goal frame height after the rebuild?
Old 02-05-2014, 03:24 AM   #19
Dynamite Design Josh

Army:
I8AJEEP's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck911 View Post
Sub'd. Interested to see how this all turns out!

What's you goal frame height after the rebuild?
24" or less
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 AM   #20
Max's Canadian Twin
theduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtheduck911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
theduck911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by I8AJEEP View Post
24" or less
22-24" on 37" would be nice and low. Should look good with the Fiberglass and all.

Mark's always a big help for everyone's questions and what not, awesome to see that he's helping you with the brackets too!