Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Scuba's 99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making

Old 03-13-2014, 12:08 PM   #21
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
Subed, always like solid axle builds.
Old 03-13-2014, 12:18 PM   #22
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadToy View Post
Should be sweet - although I think you had a CV trail swap down to about 5 minutes at Windrock.....
After 8-9 you really start to get the hang of it.
After 3 in one weekend you want to torch off the front half of the truck immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss4x4 View Post
Sub'd. Yay for Scuba! Are you doing one of your Scuba dances in anticipation!?! lol Good luck on the build. Can't wait to see it finished!
ACTUALLY, I could. That might bring some fun to the thread. I think the T-Rex might be a hit around these parts.

On another note: I'm working on the axle today. Getting the axle cleaned up, had to clearance the inside of the housing for the diff.. Etc. pics later..
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #23
Gear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shedGear Head is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
Gear Head's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed! Can't wait to watch this go together. Glad you finally sold the front diff!
Old 03-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #24
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Nice.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:20 PM   #25
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Did some prep work today..
Got the studs in the housing, replaced the stock knuckle bearing races with the Marlin 25MM ones, polished the knuckles.. etc.
Biggest issue of the day.. when I tried to dry fit the Marlin diff inside the housing, it wouldn't fit. The adjusters are so far out... brought it home (I have to keep my parts at the storage unit a few miles away) and started grinding. Nicked a diff stud but got it out. Got the diff to fit. Took lots of persuasion.
I also pulled the old rotors off of the IFS hubs. I might try machine those down with my grinder here at home.

Pics..

Polished my balls. Will probably JB weld "polish" them becayse they are pretty pitted.

Brake mounts came in.

Before putting the shafts in the birf, I verified they fit in the knuckle ball without grinding. They did.

BTW: Whoever came up with this style wheel hub/ brake mounting system should be tarred, feathered, and then hung. I'd venture to say it's the same guy that came up with the 05+ Tacoma hub bearing.

Not a whole lot of "progress" but its just some prep work that I won't have to do when it's time to cut.

I should have my marlin rebuild kit tomorrow.
I also got confirmation that my knuckles, spindles, and steering arms were shipped from my dad's place out in CA.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #26
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
What's really retarded is setting proper preload on the trunion bearings with the stupid shims and the dumb fish scale thingy lmao
Old 03-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
What's really retarded is setting proper preload on the trunion bearings with the stupid shims and the dumb fish scale thingy lmao

So I've been reading. I'm really hoping I get everything right the first time.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:59 AM   #28
Senior Injector
Biscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shedBiscuits is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rusty Shackleford
Biscuits's Tacoma Gallery
Gonna be sick.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #29
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Did you get the Longs from Trail Gear? Just asking because I was reading the debate over on Pirate.
Old 03-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #30

Got my Marlin service kit today. Missing the spindle nut kits that were supposed to be in the box. Will call them monday.

Prepped the IFS hubs today. Got them cleaned, stripped of the old bearings/ races, turned down, and cleaned again. Ended up taking them to Autozone to check the fit in a Tacoma rotor. 1 fits, 1 is slightly too big. Will fix that sooner or later.

Might be picking up a tundra rear axle this weekend.

Pics.

Yours truly!

Old 03-14-2014, 02:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomtacoma01 View Post
Did you get the Longs from Trail Gear? Just asking because I was reading the debate over on Pirate.
Yeah, unfortunately. I guess I should have known.
Eventually I'll get a set of the RCV birfs/ shafts and keep the TG "longs" as spares.
The current inner shafts are from RCV already.
Old 03-15-2014, 02:31 PM   #32

A good friend of mine just picked up my rear axle from up in Dallas. He was headed up there for the ufc fight anyway so it made sense.
Its from a 2002 Tundra, unknown mileage. These are 67" wide so it will match my front perfectly. Was only replaced because of a leaky pinion and axle tube seal.
I will end up putting my 8.4 3rd in this. I'll also use my brake backing plates with the tundra shafts so I can keep the e-brake cable up above the leaf springs.

It's a little dirty but that's not a big deal.

Edit: picked it up for $120 and I owe my friend $45 for gas. Not bad in my opinion.

Old 03-15-2014, 05:38 PM   #33
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Nice
Old 03-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #34

Talked to the guys at Marlin Crawler, they're shipping my missing spindle nut kits out today. No biggie.

Today I ordered the forward swing bronco steering box and a u-joint to connect to it (the one on the TG kit probably won't work).

Also finally ordered the FROR hanger kit.

Should have more parts in the mail after next Monday.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:39 PM   #35
WUT?
thegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shedthegame is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Isn't it fun ordering parts? I just got more shit in the mail today
Old 03-17-2014, 09:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegame View Post
Isn't it fun ordering parts? I just got more shit in the mail today
Ugh. Yes and no. I love getting more parts, obviously. But seeing my parts list tally hardly go down kinda sucks. I want to get this swap done so badly.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:29 AM   #37

Great, Summit canceled my order for the steering box because Cardone doesn't have one in stock.
We'll see what I can come up with. Either way, I'm stuck for 3-5 days as summit holds my money.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #38
Dwill817 is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Dwill817's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet build!

Are you still in Alabama?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwill817 View Post
Sweet build!

Are you still in Alabama?
Thanks! And nope. Here in Austin, Texas now.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #40

I contacted summit and they ended up putting my box on back order.
If it takes longer than a couple weeks I'll go elsewhere. Probably Napa.

Got my steering shaft kit from TG today. Everything looks good.
Also got the front axle parts from my dad today. The knuckles and spindles need to be taken to the car wash, I might do that tomorrow.

Today I got to borrow a friends press so I could put my Marlin 25 MM pin kit and arms together.

The difference in size vs. stock. These are BEEF!

Special thanks, again, to Tom (Monkeyproof) for these FREE Marlin Crawler arms. Can't thank you enough!