Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Solid Axle Suspension

Notices

Scuba's 99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making

Old 03-12-2014, 10:19 PM   #1
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Scuba's 99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making

I've only got another month or so until I'll have most all of my parts in/ on the way. Figured I'd start this thread now.
This thread will include parts lists, plans, pictures, beer, and I hope constructive criticism from everyone.
This will be my first time with such an epic fab project on my own vehicle although I have helped out with a couple solid axle swaps.

Cutting will not start until I have every part I will need to drive the truck safely. I will most likely be borrowing another TTORA member's garage, another members 220 welder, and hopefully a plasma.

Goals for this SAS: get rid of the death trap IFS. Make a more reliable front end. Allow me to wheel more than I wrench.
I want to push the front axle forward as far as possible. I want a better approach angle, I want the tires out of the firewall, and I want to stretch my short wheelbase a little bit.
I am going leaf springs. I don't need a crap ton of flex. I want the strength of a high pinion 8" diff with chromoly everything.

Parts list:

Front: Diamond Axle, 8" High pinion (Marlin built, 5.29's, Yukon grizzly locker). 67" WMS w/ IFS hubs. FROR Tacoma brake mount. RCV inner shafts. TG "longfield" birfs.

Marlin 25MM steering arms. FROR DOM Tie rod/ drag link. All-Pro FJ80 TRE's. Ford bronco forward swing steering box. Parts mike flat pitman arm. PSC 2.7L tacoma pump kit (I have found redline steering fluid that satisfies the needs of both the stock pump and the gear box. The PSC pump kit won't be needed). TG Steering shaft kit.

FROR SAS kit, All-pro 4" springs. Bilstein 12" 5125's. All-Pro frame plates.

T100 oil pan, pickup, and all that jazz.

Rear: T100/ Tyndra axle. Will transplant my 8.4 welded 5.29 diff into it.
All-pro 5" rear suspension kit. 12" bilsteins.

The truck will probably be on 38's-40's next if I can grow some balls.

That's the basic parts list, I'm sure I am missing some small things. Here are some pictures so far.

Obligatory broken IFS pictures.

Remaining parts:

The IFS has taken me almost EVERYWHERE I've wanted. From Moab, to AZ, the Hammers, to the Rubicon, Windrock ORV, Hidden Falls, etc.. IFS has its purpose. It served me well for the past 5 years. However, it is time to take the truck to the next level.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #6
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
Shouldn't you get rear axle to make sure you don't break anything since you are taking it to the next level? Jw
I'm not too concerned about the rear at the moment.
The 8.4 is known to be "okay" on 37's/39's.
I've got a friend with a very similar build who runs a stock Tundra rear axle with just an ARB and 5.29's. He's been wheeling on 39's for a couple years without issue.
Later on down the line, I may add a full floating diamond axle rear with a Landcruiser 9.5 diff. That's a far way out though.

Here's my buddy.

Edit: here's another one. My truck will be a clone of his almost except for his front end is linked and I'll have leaf springs.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
BabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBabyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Infantry
BabyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
reg cab
Old 03-12-2014, 11:11 PM   #9
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
No hydro assist?

I'm piecing together a kit for way way way cheaper then a TG or PSC kit using a topic or two from the marlincrawler Forums And Pirate4x4 for references
Old 03-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #10
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
Shouldn't you get rear axle to make sure you don't break anything since you are taking it to the next level? Jw
After going chromo shafts on the crawler I have never had problems with the rear..and that's with a dual tcase and a 5VZE swap on 39.5" Krawlers
Old 03-12-2014, 11:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
After going chromo shafts on the crawler I have never had problems with the rear..and that's with a dual tcase and a 5VZE swap on 39.5" Krawlers
I'm taking a page from AOR Scotty's "intervention" build. He used the ford box on that build and ran 37's or 39's without the need for assist. The ford box is so much larger than a Toyota box it just doesn't need it. Plus I'll have the high flow psc pump.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #13
curmudgeon
TimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedTimmyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Timmy
TimmyB's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-12-2014, 11:26 PM   #14
Power Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
I'm taking a page from AOR Scotty's "intervention" build. He used the ford box on that build and ran 37's or 39's without the need for assist. The ford box is so much larger than a Toyota box it just doesn't need it. Plus I'll have the high flow psc pump.
Ooohh..send me the link please. I haven't heard of that. I'm a tech at a Ford dealership and I know we have a few boxes laying around ...cha ching!!!!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:32 PM   #15

Unfortunately all the pictures are gone but there is still talk of steering box tech.
It is forward swing, so you'll have to rework your shocks, I'm sure.
I'm running forward swing so I can push the axle far forward without worry of molesting the core support too much.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...ervention.html
Old 03-12-2014, 11:34 PM   #16
Cornfed
95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed95 taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: jake
95 taco's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-13-2014, 09:13 AM   #17
Boomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoomtacoma01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boomtacoma01's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet man. Keep us posted when the WAT and cutting are scheduled to start.

Ditch the spreadsheet after you buy the parts so there are no reminders of the amount of $$$ that you sunk into your rig. I sunk way more into my 85 that I will ever divulge.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #19
HERP DERP
Buy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud ofBuy1Get1Freee has much to be proud of

Name: Matt
Buy1Get1Freee's Tacoma Gallery
I love SAS'd Reg Cabs!
Old 03-13-2014, 12:03 PM   #20
LikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLikeABoss4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
LikeABoss4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. Yay for Scuba! Are you doing one of your Scuba dances in anticipation!?! lol Good luck on the build. Can't wait to see it finished!