1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4dr rock swatter....

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by bullcrew, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Feb 26, 2015 at 8:26 AM
    C4 Fabrication

C4 Fabrication Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB Sport
    2" lift, 285/70/17 BFG TA KO2's, baja bumper, bedrack with swing out, CVT RTT, Leather interior, heated seats, JBL, remote start, K&N intake, Hood Scoop LED lightbar mod.
    Very nice! Lookin good. Im in the process of adding dual shocks and air bumps to a customers rig right now. Im excited to go mob it over some high speed stuff when its all done!

2. Feb 28, 2015 at 6:58 PM
    bullcrew

bullcrew [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    OK cut wheel wells out and mounted new hoops for the coilovers,...they are stripped now but designed to handle the link kit when I do it....so one more brace a tie n from hoop to hoop...
    Now time for hydraulic bumps on all 4 corners...

I will be retuning the shocks...front will be going from a 15/12 with flutter to a 12/12 with flutter and back will be going to a 10/12 from a 12/12 on the bypass...there's not much bed weight.

So flex test is done it will go more than my rock pile was high so its a go....now to tune and dial in for speed...plenty stable and I dropped off the pole to see about it falling to easily but it was constant and a HUGE difference in a good way compared ton the bilstein 5100....very glad to swap up...

All wheels stuff and crush on the body so need to trim and they all drop out further than I figured...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    Yetimetchkangmi likes this.
  3. Mar 8, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    Looking good, not sure how I missed this thread.

4. Mar 8, 2015 at 7:31 PM
    Boosted TRD

Boosted TRD your what hurts!?!?!?

Member:
    First Name:
    Zeb
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    00 TRD SR5 4x4 5-spd supercharged, Cantilever L/T.
    TRD Supercharger, URD 7th injector, 2.2" S/C pulley, light weight crank pulley, CAI, CB exhaust, Camburg Mid-Travel front, LSK Cantilever L/T rear
    Dude, sick build!

5. Mar 8, 2015 at 8:07 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    Took it out to TDS this weekend and it held its own rather easily....
    Ran $1000 hill several times did the notch dropped in on backside ran some vertical walls with the buggies at the notches and outran a lot of crawlers in the washes and smaller whoops...haven't done hydro bumps yet so avoid the bigger whoops till I stick em I ....

Heres the kicker...

-Broke a motor mount its cracked
    -Accelerator pedal sticks on return a smidge and idles 1.5k I stick my toes under it and barely lift up it returns to normal
    - transmission lever has to be pushed a bit hard into park so key will come out...actsli,e a tranny alignment issue from a Mount.
    - bent a hydro assist fitting and it leaked....

Ran it pretty damn hard and fast and all weekend long from 6pm to 2am Friday and Saturday 9am to 2am....lol it just worked...

So of any one has answers to the above stated id appreciate help mainly...ID.e and accelertor pedal (I will try cleaning throttle body butterfly)
    AND tranny .ever not quite going back for key to come out without pushing it forward firmly ....

I landed on the frame a few times hard which caused irradic and high idle.....any ideas...

6. Mar 8, 2015 at 8:16 PM
    taco terror

taco terror 1st gen = best gen

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    1996 Black Tacoma, 3.4L
    4.56 ECGS regear, Wheelers 6 leaf pack, Eibach coils, Bilstein 5100s, AR Baja wheels, 33 BFG ATs, Line-x
    Oh my.... oh my goodness

7. Mar 8, 2015 at 8:37 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    All easy fixes and more of a shake down and figure out weak .links....I knew motor mounts were crap....so no biggie there the line I tightened and hydro assist is good....
    The idle is or should be a simple fix the idle on impact I need to find the item getting shaken....electrical and only does it after a belly impact...

So all little stuff....well worth the weekend.....and definently happy with results....

Tuned the rear bypass shock friday morning down to 10/12 on valving and worked FLAWLESS... front I was afraid was stiff but when hauling it handled the hits spot on....barely bottomed out where as with the bilstein I bottomed on everything and had NO ability to keep speed.

8. Mar 8, 2015 at 8:41 PM
    WildLand

WildLand Does Ursus arctos defecate in deciduous forest?

Member:
    First Name:
    Fish
    NM
    Vehicle:
    06 Tundra
    :drool: subbed

9. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    Mounted front fox hydraulic bumps...
    -removing bottom leaf in rear
    -realign and shortening throw on rear fox bumps as well...
    -opened the fox bumps and revalved them lighter for leaf springs had custom inner sleeves made to reduce to 2" instead of 4".
    - making a tire carrier for rear with rear cage for weight...

revalved shocks again....

10. Mar 12, 2015 at 3:49 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    Awesome truck! Sounds like its time for solid motor and trans mounts!

11. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:13 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    Yeah I got some heavy duty frame side mounts from a member he had custom made....rock solid...the mounts or rubber will give out I'm sure but will stay isolated style for the time being....

12. Mar 12, 2015 at 4:23 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    So you're on tg 3" springs and what in the rear? What stroke shocks front and rear? My rig needs some tweaking and if I could get the travel you're getting I'd be very pleased

13. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:03 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    Tg rear also....the shocks are 12"....my vertical uses almost all 12 my flex is a lot due to inboard shocks...it wallow between 4 and 5 inches with the articulation so if I could find a longer leaf and shackle I could run it identical but get a ton of droop but would have to limit the articulation with straps....it will eat itself with articulation....my passenger bed side is mangled lol....

I like it but want to dual set up it....higher speed whoops and crawl...it crawls and the shocks tuned won't limit the movement the shocks go digressive when flexing so the move easier no matter what tuning I do as well as they handle speed and straight on with a more traditional 1:1 movement. Plus the bumps done interfere...they stop at 1/2 in so no ramping up and limiting flex....

14. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:44 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    I just realized you're on 37's.. no wonder you drop them so far below the slider lol, 39.5's here. I have 14's in the front and I'm not sure what's in the rear, haven't had them off to measure. Where are your creeper joint shackle hangers from? Ballistic isn't taking online orders for them right now so I have to look elsewhere

15. Mar 12, 2015 at 5:58 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    Shackles are trail gear and I can't see 14" shocks up front using all the stroke....I fight with 12 vertical. I thought about doing 14s but the shackles and springs won't use it all....I will when I go links...

I crush my fender wells with 37s front and rear and there's no down travel left when I'm extended....so moving going 14s with current setup is not beneficial...besides I bought my king 2.5 coilovers complete with coils, king 2.5 bypass 3 tube and 4 fox 2" x 4" hydraulic bumps for $700 from a customer so 12" was perfect....I'll trade out to 14s when I modify......

I thought about Chevy rears with the bypass because they are long and soft and I can tune them easier as they don't ramp as hard. Fronts I'm linking it anywase....probably do rear as well.

I will say I love this truck....just flat out works....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  16. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:04 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Yeah I don't use all the downtravel either, I just had them laying around so why not? My 82 was dialed in for crawling suspension wise and it worked really well. Now if I can get the tacoma moving as freely I'll be set.

17. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:13 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    I wanted 14s.....lol but after the deal on my shocks and realizing I couldn't utilize it I was OK with it....lol but still want 14s......
    Yeah I was a bit concerned with a leaf sprung build but my ex cab worked well...this has already out crawled it even with 40s....made it through hammers easier and I am very happy with how it works....

A bit irritated by my lack of weight in rear and the rear jumping a bit on small square edge hits....my truck is Light back there...so rear cage and tire this week to add so leverage which will in turn help the front out....that and the oil capacity and piston size has more resistance than the 5100s....

The shocks made a MASSIVE difference in the speed and nasty sections....before forget it now I smoked a bunch of guys I chased with the 5100s on....it rolls smooth at speed....bit it needs to be opened up a bit and turned down on rebound I'm not jumping or racing my tune is a bit speed hit heavy still.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  18. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:21 PM
    Adventurer_Alex

Adventurer_Alex Generic mall crawler

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan XTERRA
    I have a dual spare rear bumper id part with. With some modifications it would be bad ass on your truck

19. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:22 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    What's your wheelbase?

20. Mar 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM
    bullcrew

Member:
    First Name:
    travis
    oceanside
    Vehicle:
    03 quad cab sas
    Let's see pics.... might be intrested

I have an idea on my design the bed will get gutted and tied in on sides....the tire will go outboard and a skid style cage on it with a 1" tube basket for hauling stuff....

I always dig finding a reason the use the jd32.....love bending tube.....that and my plasma...and my miller....OK so my 3 favorite tools....

Products Discussed in

To Top