Notices

FJ80 Axles

Old 01-29-2015, 11:56 PM   #1
thecarter999 is on a distinguished road
Law Enforcement:
Name: Josh
thecarter999's Tacoma Gallery
FJ80 Axles

I have a 2006 Tacoma I'm looking to SAS, Already have purchased all my 2in DOM link material and other key components to complete the swap. Looking to 3link the front and run leafs in the rear.

I scored a dirt cheap amazing deal on a set of FJ80 Axles 4.10s with E-L ockers F/R.

My question is:

Would you run the FJ80s or go with a set of 60s?

Besides the steering issue with the FJ80 what else might i run into?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 AM   #2
Dj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDj318 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
Dj318's Tacoma Gallery
On a second gen seems like the general consensus is that anything but a dana 60 or the equivalent will not be strong enough. I don't know much about it but I do plan on using 80 axles on my 1st gen. Not sure what steering issues you are concerned about?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #3
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Fj80 axle will explode under a 2nd gen. If you were to do any sort of toyota axle on the 2nd gen it'd need to be a 9.5" center with a custom housing with either Fj80 outers (hellfire knuckles)... But that'd be pricey as shit and gl getting hellfire knuckles... I've heard they are slow lead times.

I'd reccomend just doing a dana 60 ford or get a 9.5" center with custom housing and slap dana 60 outers on it. BALLIN'
Old 01-30-2015, 05:49 PM   #4
Balockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shedBalockay is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Blake
Balockay's Tacoma Gallery
Get D60s and sell me the front 80 for the dirt cheap price you got it for. I'll even drive to Georgia and pick it up
Old 01-30-2015, 09:43 PM   #5
Snowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to all
Name: Connor
Snowy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Fj80 axle will explode under a 2nd gen. If you were to do any sort of toyota axle on the 2nd gen it'd need to be a 9.5" center with a custom housing with either Fj80 outers (hellfire knuckles)... But that'd be pricey as shit and gl getting hellfire knuckles... I've heard they are slow lead times.

I'd reccomend just doing a dana 60 ford or get a 9.5" center with custom housing and slap dana 60 outers on it. BALLIN'
I disagree on the 80 axle not being enough for a second gen.. an 80 weighs 4750 stock and a second gen double cab tacoma weighs 4100, lots of people wheeling 80's without exploding axles.... With links you don't have to worry about hi steer like you do with leafs on an 80 axle either. The HP 8"is pretty darn stout with strong as hell stock birfs to boot..
Old 01-31-2015, 08:16 AM   #6
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The 8" is WEAK. it's a freaking 8", people are blowing them up in the tacos all the time... Granted, it's not the HP version but it's still weak. People ruin 9.75" RGs which are a majority of the D60s.

Just because a "stock dbl cab" is 4100 does not mean that's what it's going to be when the SAC is done. Try more like 5k+ EASY, with tires that are 7-12" BIGGER than a Fj80 STOCK.

By all means, run the 8" HP and stock birfs... Good luck.

Maybe if the OP is going to run 33s or 35s I'd say sure go for it. Might get away with 37s if you're a pussy.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 AM   #7
Snowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to allSnowy is a name known to all
Name: Connor
Snowy's Tacoma Gallery
So what about the built 80's that get wheeled hard on 37's and 40's? That's an easy 5500 lb truck. Would a 9.5 center be better, yeah, but it doesn't mean that an 80 axle is a bad choice either..especially if he got a good deal on it.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:58 PM   #8
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
So what about the built 80's that get wheeled hard on 37's and 40's? That's an easy 5500 lb truck. Would a 9.5 center be better, yeah, but it doesn't mean that an 80 axle is a bad choice either..especially if he got a good deal on it.
I gotta agree. People wheeling built 80s on 40s, heavy 6500 lb rigs with these axles.

With chromos your weak point will be the 8" center but doesn't mean you couldn't do it.

However for the cost I think you might as well go 60 up front.

Custom 80/9.5 front isn't out of reach either though.
Old 02-01-2015, 04:40 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!

Dude D30s are free too. It's a good deal, may as well wheel it. Many jeeps still run the axle and do well with them! You can run whatever axle you want, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Take it from someone with the experience, and throughout several years of seeing the same shit over and over "I'm dumb, I should of gone tons in the first place"

I made that mistake, it's costed me well over 10 grand already. And now, in order to swap to tons it's 5k minimum...
Old 02-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #10
slander will become famous soon enoughslander will become famous soon enough
slander's Tacoma Gallery
Got a buddy with 40's on his 80 with longs, wheels like crazy and its fine. He wheeled like crazy on 37s with the stock birfs and no breakage axle wise. Swap the 80 axles in and if you are a good driver you will be fine. If you prefer to stand on the gas rather than finesse it get some tons.