1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Locker Won't Disengage

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by MountainTruck, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Nov 20, 2011 at 12:48 PM
    MountainTruck

MountainTruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Park City, UT
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma
    K+N Cold air FIPK, 2 in lift, aftermarket Bilstien shocks, magna flow exhaust w/3" pipe, double din DVD stereo, 8" Kenwood subwoofer
    My TRD locker will not disengage on my '03 Tacoma. I followed the instructions from the manuel but it is still engaged in 2wd. I can hear the tires skidding as I go around corners. I am concerned about the wear on my axle, not to mention my studded snow tires.

I have tried re-engaging it and then re-disengaging it to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

I searched for a while and could not find any threads discussing this. Also not sure if this is the right spot for this?

2. Nov 20, 2011 at 2:08 PM
    MountainTruck

MountainTruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Park City, UT
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD Tacoma
    K+N Cold air FIPK, 2 in lift, aftermarket Bilstien shocks, magna flow exhaust w/3" pipe, double din DVD stereo, 8" Kenwood subwoofer
    Yeah I guess I will keep trying what the manual suggests (drive slowly turning wheel slowly left and right until the light turns off). The same thing happened last week but eventually released. I probably didn't engage it properly in the first place, I only read the manual after I had a problem of course.

I know most people don't use the locker very often, but I live at the top of neighborhood at over 7000 feet with steep snowpacked roads. If I am not pulling someone out of a snowbank, someone is pulling me out of one.

What would be the proper place for this thread anyway? I figured this one was for front axle swaps but thought axles>lockers?

This was two nights ago:
    [​IMG]

3. Nov 21, 2011 at 5:25 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    I always go in reverse and then forward, 4wd for me is similar and won't disengage sometimes just need to go backwards a little then forward. Same with my manual hubs..

4. Nov 22, 2016 at 3:47 AM
    Taco-dan

Taco-dan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    Dbl cab tx pro
    Had the same issue with a newer trd locker, ended up just having to stop on the side of the rode shift to for low, turn the locker back to on. i then just rolled back in forth with it on then disengaged it while still in four low and heard it pop out and all was good. Hope that helps!

5. Dec 2, 2016 at 1:28 PM
    Jimmynolife

Jimmynolife Actually has a life

Member:
    First Name:
    Jimmy
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    3 linked 2002 Tacoma
    If it really becomes a problem you can take off just the E locker motor, then get a flat head screw driver and shift the fork in there away from the 3rd member

Opihi-mochi likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top