1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Generation REAR axle swap

Discussion in 'Solid Axle Suspension' started by kfgk14, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 at 6:06 PM
    kfgk14

kfgk14 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Killian
    New Hampshire
    If I wanted to swap my 2nd gen's rear axle out and replace it with a Dana 60, would that be possible? I can't afford a new truck but I have a Dana 60 axle sitting in the garage, and I need a 1/2 ton vehicle. I'm also kinda attached to my Tacoma, this truck has rode out some tough situations for me. I haven't invested in any modifications for the rear end yet (hoping I can do the Dana 60+bigger brakes+rebuild the leaf pack), so there isn't much to be lost monetarily by swapping. My folks are gonna be helping me financially with this, hoping that given I've already got the axle it won't cost that much to do the swap from this point forward. The Dana 60 is a 35 spline, 4.56 gearing, with an open diff. I will be ARB'ing this as soon as funds allow, if I put it in the truck. The gears are reverse cut. I'm pretty sure this came out of a Ford truck.

Will I need to do some frame reinforcement to make this feasible? I can't weld myself, but my uncle is a professional welder and he's incredibly good at what he does.

I already have OME 9000's and 886x's up front, as well as Light Racing UCA's, if that helps at all.

2. May 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Swapping the rear end won't make it a 1/2ton truck, these are already 1/2ton trucks honestly. What are you trying to do with your truck?

Yes a dana 60 will work if you get the yoke adapter, cut off all spring perches and shock mounts and weld your own on to accomodate for the location of the tacomas mounting placements. Bigger brakes won't do much for the rear anyway since tacos probably only use 75/25. Also you would have to regear the front or the rear to match the tacomas gear ratio. Frame plates wouldn't really be neccessary unless you are wheeling it.

3. May 9, 2012 at 7:28 PM
    kfgk14

Member:
    First Name:
    Killian
    New Hampshire
    I intend to take it off-road, mainly as an overlander and not a serious crawler. I was incorrect in saying it will be a flat bed, as it will have removable sides/gate.

Primarily, this is for a utility vehicle. It needs to haul a 4x8 sheet of plywood flat (well, a stack of 4 x 8 sheets of plywood) and the springs need to not bottom out on me during the process. It is a double cab. Needs to take 255/85R16's (or perhaps 265/75r16's? tire opinions?) and not rub. I have a plan regarding the bed though.

In normal conditions on-road, the suspension won't articulate enough to rub the tires on the bed, so it can be full-width. When the vehicle is off-road and more articulation is needed, I will have openings cut in the bed. basically, bolt-on panels will fill these when the truck is hauling things, so as to give me a full-width bed. When I need the articulation, remove the panels. Is that just craziness? Should I just build a bed that's higher up, or should I build a bigger leaf pack?

So is swapping the rear axle not truly necessary? If so, I'll probably pawn this Dana off to help fund this project, along with my balisong collection, my right hand, a kidney...

4. May 9, 2012 at 7:46 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Sounds like to me, you need airbags for the rear axle. But with airbags you can't flex much. Honestly you should look into custom springs meant to support more weight and an AAL. The thing with flex is, our rear end flexes great. The front, LOLLMFAO no. That's our biggest problem. But to fix front flex it's about $10k. Look into some custom springs, the dana wont help for what you are wanting to do.

5. May 9, 2012 at 7:58 PM
    kfgk14

Member:
    First Name:
    Killian
    New Hampshire
    Alright, thanks for the advise.

Is a set of OME Dakars w/the OME AAL designed for the Dakars capable enough for this?

6. May 10, 2012 at 7:16 PM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Most of the people I read about on a quick search say they are better and rated for heavier loads. Especially if you have stock leaf pack, which is junk. I am sure with the Dakars and AAL it will be perfect.

Products Discussed in

To Top