1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Leveling 5100's Install Shop in Tulsa, OK Area

Discussion in 'South Central' started by geogecko, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    geogecko

geogecko [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Looking at getting a set of 5100's all around, for leveling a 2005 TRD Sport Double Cab. I may do the rears myself, but don't want to mess with the fronts.

Anyone have a trustworthy shop in Tulsa? So far, I only know about Tulsa Truck Works and Ryno 4WD, just from a couple people I know.

Also, would it be recommended to buy the 5100 set myself, or have the shop do it?

2. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:32 PM
    JCBigler

JCBigler Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chouteau, OK
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 4WD, SR5, DC, TRD OR w/tow
    stock, Yaesu FT-8800R with a Maldol EX-107B, rear breather mod
    Tagged for future reference also.

3. Jan 5, 2013 at 8:45 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Buy from here. http://downsouthmotorsports.com/ You get a TW discount and wont find them any cheaper. $299 for the set as a TW member shipped. I just ordered some myself. ;)

4. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:25 PM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Did you get the RCD version, or the front shocks with the optional rears? The RCD's list for $299, the others list for $319. I'm not sure which ones I should get, they have different part numbers.

5. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    4banger09

4banger09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma Access cab 4cyl
    Leveled
    If you can screw in a light bulb you can install the rear shocks

6. Jan 5, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Lol, agreed, just read you don't even have to jack up the truck to do the rear end.

Just concerned about the front. And want someone to do it right. I don't have the necessary tools (only one jack, no stands, etc).

7. Jan 6, 2013 at 4:27 AM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled

When I did my fronts I did one side at a time. Depending on your trucks condition underneath it could be easy or a pain in the ass. The only "special" tool you need is the spring compressors (and you don't even need that if you can find another jack to borrow, more dangerous way but some have done it on here with no problems). You can most likely rent jack stands aswell.

8. Jan 6, 2013 at 5:52 AM
    TwzteD

TwzteD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    St Lucie Fl
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 reg cab Auto
    2013 4x4 reg cab, 2011 4runner sr5 rims, 265 general grabber at2's, 5100's All 4 corners with fronts at .85, De badged, Egr Rainguards, Led tail lights, Int wipers, fog lights, Trailer Hitch, POwer locks+ keyless entry, Extang Solidfold Bed Cover, WeatherTech Mats, Stubbie Antenna, Trd Skid Plate, Tint, Scanguage, Cargo net in bed, Sound Ordnance B-8PT, FULID FILM Under Coat.
    can any of you guys tell me what adding 5100's in the read will do? what is the diff between them and stock shocks in the rear?

9. Jan 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Somewhat better ride quality over stock, from what I've read. They do not lift the truck. In fact, they can't be used with a lift in the back, unless it's under an inch.

10. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Found another one, Integrity Customs, but still don't know anyone with first hand experience.

Tulsa Truck Works quoted me $65 an hour, and said it would probably take 2-3 hours.

11. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings

I would think that should include the alignment as well. I could see the struts taking about 1.5hrs total and then about an hour on the alignment. $65/hr is a good shop rate. I remember when we charged $95/hr.

12. Jan 7, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    4banger09

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Nb, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Leveled
    Toytec site says rears are good for upto 2 inch lift. I have them with tsb springs and 1.5 aal with no problems.

13. Jan 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    They said an alignment was $65. Lol.

Yeah, I remember seeing 0-1" and 0-2" in a couple different places.

14. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Don't pay someone to do it.

Do you have a floor jack and a flat area? Are you planning on setting them at the lowest setting, highest, or in between?

We can rent a spring compressor and there are at least a few of us around here that could get it done.

When I had my 08 we did mine, granted we used a shops lift rather than floor jacks. But we used floor jacks to do my ext travel coilovers when I lived in OKC.

I mean...$65/hr isn't horrible by mechanic work prices...if they have the right tools and have done it before it shouldn't take any more than an hour.

15. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    I'm embarrassed to say I don't have a floor jack. Perhaps it's a good time to get one?

I'm planning on just leveling, without TSB rear leafs, that means the 0.85 setting, if I've read right.

I'm all for not paying $125-200 to get this done, just want to do it right. I even contacted the dealership this morning to see if they would do it, and how much they would charge...haven't heard back yet though.

Need to look at that installation video again. Actually, I think my dad may have a floor jack...

16. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:22 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    Floor jack is something to invest in :p Don't be embarrassed about it, mine doesn't work right now either so we're probably about in the same spot :p

Without the need to compress the springs enough to get 2.5" of preload, it really isn't all that hard of a job. It's actually a fairly easy job. I was surprised when I attempted it for the first time. The only part I had a difficult time with the first go around, was getting everything out/wedged back in. It later became SUPER easy when I went to Uniball UCA's, since you can just unbolt the UCA from the knuckle and everything just falls out.

17. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    OMG, dealer just quoted me $499 to install just the front struts! Holy crap. I even confirmed it saying again, that I had the actual struts, and they replied, yes, that is for the install and strut cushion parts... Wow, for sure not having them do it.

Ordered my 5100 set from Down South Motorsports. Called and spoke to them. Should be here on Thursday.

I'm going to try and do the rear maybe this weekend, if it's not raining.

Seems like there are several ways to do the front. Last thread I read did it by pulling the tie rods off (free rental tool at the auto parts place). Seemed like that may be easier than removing the LCA. Still worried about doing it, as not being able to finish it, surely means a tow to a shop. Also looks like it would be wise to have jack stands too.

18. Jan 12, 2013 at 11:00 AM
    geogecko

Member:
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Decided to tackle this myself. Bought a jack and have ordered stands and other equipment. Probably be a couple weekends before I get to it, but kind of excited. Will finally have an impact wrench!

19. Jan 14, 2013 at 6:04 AM
    Joehs

Joehs Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    AL
    It's really not that bad. If you have any problems just hop on here, go to the general forum and search. Or just start PMing people who know what they're doing and they can probably give you a quick answer.

20. Jan 16, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    TexanTJ

TexanTJ New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    R.J.
    Displaced Texan
    Vehicle:
    2013 Base 4x4 Doublecab
    Xm sat radio
    Geo- if you need a helping hand or some tools, shoot me a pm. I live in the area and would be more than happy to help

Products Discussed in

To Top