Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Outer Banks trip

Old 07-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Name: Richard
Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
Outer Banks trip

Hello Folks,

I just returned from Outer Banks trip, we stayed in Kill Devil Hills and went north till 12 ended onto the beach and then 4 wheeled North all the way to the fencing that stops you from going any farther.

Is that the Virginia border?

The sand was extremely deep in many places, saw alot of people in 4 wheel drives stuck and even more in the AWD SUVs (they must think those things are unstoppable).

I have a 2010 Double Cab Tacoma with the Off-Road package, left it in 4 high half the way headed up north and kept a decent speed so not any problems but came close to burying it a couple of times. I saw alot of 4 wheel drive trucks stopping to air down so I dropped my pressure to about 22lbs (probably should have dropped it to 15). It helped some but when I got all the way to the end up North and tried to turn around I got stuck. As soon as I started to dig in I let off the accelerator and locked in the rear differential and it was smooth sailing after that.

The fishing sucked but got some beautiful shots of the wild horses, I will post some photos tomorrow. It is about 6.5 - 7 hours on the road so we are beat going to unpack and crash for the night.

Thanks to all you guys for the advice regading my questions about the OBX from the other thread.

It was nice to have a cooler full of ice cold beer and not have to worry about any hassles. I never saw one police officer on the beach the entire day but did see a couple of guys with walkie talkies on ATV's talking to people but they didn't have any type of uniforms on.

Our Accomodations:
We were on a budget so we stayed at a little dump called the Driftin Sands motel(still cost $100 night).The room size, bathroom included probably wasn't 10' x 10' . You got a full size bed you could barely walk around, a TV witout a remote, no toiletries and 2 towels so thin you could see through them BUT the air conditioner worked well.
I brought a nice bottle of Scotch(Chivas) so I could have a cigar and Scotch on the front porch when we got home that evening. I didnt want to be riding around with a bottle of Scotch 3/4 full so I left it in the motel room.
The F_ _ king maids took most of it and filled it up with water, I was so pissed off but of course they denied it and I couldn't prove it.

The Outer Banks Brewing Station was frickin incredible, they have a beer that they brewed called a Lemon Grass Wheat Ale that they won a medal with at the world beer cup last year. It was awesome and the food was the best on the island of all the places we ate in 3 days/nights.

Thats my long winded update from our trip.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:04 AM   #2
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a good time....that was a sheriff and their were others you probably didn't see...the fence was VA. A meet down there would be sweet!! I'll keep eyes out too
Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
Rbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the roughRbohno is a jewel in the rough

Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to post some pics but after waiting for 5 - 10 minutes, I got an error message that said "I didn't have a token" ????????
Old 07-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #4
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbohno View Post
I tried to post some pics but after waiting for 5 - 10 minutes, I got an error message that said "I didn't have a token" ????????

hum...I just uploaded a few...no trouble.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
I fish every weekend.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 PM   #7

Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
I figured it out, I was trying to upload too many at on time and they were each about 2mg in size
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

brutalguyracing's Tacoma Gallery
hey whats the deal with the horses on the beach?????
Old 07-21-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
dman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddman597 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
dman597's Tacoma Gallery
i just need a grill and i will be set do any of you guys know of a good porable grill?
Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #10
Silver Machine
lve2xlr8_mph will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
lve2xlr8_mph's Tacoma Gallery
The horses are wild. that got there own little island. Hay use NC guys need to keep everyone informed on these trips i never even sow this one.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:40 PM   #11
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
hey whats the deal with the horses on the beach?????
wild horses that roam free down there
Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
BIG DADDY
brutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrutalguyracing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

thats crazy..i was out in virgina and they said they had wild ponys but i didnt see any.....
Old 07-21-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
BIG DADDY

i have a small weber silver series and love it like $40
Old 07-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #14

Rbohno's Tacoma Gallery
This link may give you a little more info about the horses. The horse sighting tours are a big business there, I saw one company that was charging $46 per person for a trip up the beach and back.

http://www.ncbeaches.com/Features/Wi...NorthCarolina/
Old 07-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #15
BIG DADDY

do you guys need permits to drive on the beaches down there????