1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

anyone in Loundon count,va offroad?

Discussion in 'South East' started by Hamwi Taco, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:44 PM
    Hamwi Taco

Hamwi Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hani
    Leesburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    D-cab OR SB
    Trying to find some trails in-near the Leesburg VA area? anyone know of any? any one like to go?

2. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    TacoCat

TacoCat These pretzels are making me thirsty

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny-5
    Chantilly, VA
    Vehicle:
    22 JLUR 6MT
    I live in Chantilly so I'm not too far from you.
    The only place I've gone is in Stafford. It was a pretty nice place too if you don't mind some scratches on your truck. If you happen to find any places shoot me a PM. There's a couple guys down in the Stafford area that go trail hunting fairly often but that's all down in the Stafford/F'burg area.

Here's the thread:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-east/110544-trails-stafford-va-lots-pics.html

BTW Welcome to TW!

3. Dec 9, 2010 at 5:55 PM
    Hamwi Taco

Hamwi Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hani
    Leesburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    D-cab OR SB
    thanks bud, we should meet up sometime, I work at Leesburg Toyota, if you ever need any part hit me up,

Hani

4. Dec 10, 2010 at 3:16 AM
    SManZ

SManZ Sold the Taco in June 2020

Member:
    Fauquier County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Current, 2020 Ford Super Duty Tremor, Previously 2010 Supercharged 4x4 Tacoma Sport 6-spd
    TRD Supercharger, King 2.5" extended travel remote-resi coilovers, OME Dakar leaf packs, King 2.5" extended travel rear shocks, Total Chaos UCAs, MBRP turndown exhaust, TRD intake, TRD Quickshifter, Goodridge SS brake lines, EBC Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, TRD FJ Cruiser Special Edition 16" Anthracite Rims, Spidertrax wheel spacers, 265/75R16 A/T, Autometer oil pressure, oil temp gauges, TRD boost gauge, PLX DM-100 OBD II scanner, flexpod mounts, A-pillar gauge pods
    Welcome Hani!

I'm in Centreville - joneill03 and I went to one of the Stafford meets/mod days and it was a good time. Shout if you find any trails around your area. Haha especially wide open ones - I'm a bitch about scratching up the truck.

Have you modded yours any?

5. Dec 10, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    Whitfield

Whitfield Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD X-cab on 35's / 96 X-cab on 33's
    Selling my 96 Tacoma to fund the FJ80 build up.
    Here are a few off the top of my head... VA4wda.org should list a few more...

(I'm a Suzuki guy who just recently took on a Taco project... )

http://www.va4wda.org/about.htm

Va4x4.com

Shoe Creek North face will hold snow much of the winter...
    P2120047_11489c1b4e1710c9c0d046e3c1620a8f2abe5733.jpg

Crossing the Applachian Trail -
    P2110008_47494721570db4b8e8cff36538dcd66dcbbc7c90.jpg

George Washington National Forest @ Harrisonburg (Flag Pole / Dictums ridge & many many more)
    These pics are from a 1995 GWNF trip ~

Flag Pole-
    52_55007b8ae267d0ba028e4cad858c46bb21419fcc.jpg

Dictiums Ridge loop mud hole ~ probally long gone now.
    36_dfa3ad767a13debce91110c8ba02d918b25602f6.jpg

Their is a senic mountain ridge trail east of I-81 at the Jeep Dealership Runs north from Edinburg gap to Woodstock ~ But I forget the name (been almost 15 yrs ago).
    Took my wife their for a fall foilage ride back when we were dating.

Crozet ~ members only (Yes they have some tame Daily Driver stuff too)
    Flop reel video from a Suzuki Crawl event that helped put on @ Crozet in 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEQCxmEt7bo

Bigdogs 4wd events @ Gore Va.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/35355-big-dogs-offroad-gore-va-pics.html

Yearly event @ Oak Ridge (VA 4wd ~ Club members only)

6. Dec 10, 2010 at 5:49 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Directions a few trails in the GWNF

Be safe & Polish up on yuor winter cold weather survival skills before you go. Being stuck / broke / lost can be life threatening up their in the winter time.

George Washington National Forest, VA

There are five OHV trail locations listed in GWNF ~ They range from about 80 to 150 miles from the beltway.
    -Lee Ranger District, Edinburg (703)984-4101
    -GW Nat Forest Sup. Harrisonburg (703)433-2491
    -Dry River Ranger, Bridgewater (703)828-2591
    -Pedlar Ranger, Buena Vista (703)261-6105
    -Warm Springs Ranger, Hot Springs (703)839-2521 These are listed in approximate order of distance from DC.

- Travel time from Beltway – 2hrs. 7 miles of mild ORV trail. Mountainous, lots of rocks, scenery. Campgrounds at
    either end of the trail, or off trial sites. Trail runs from outside of Woodstock to Edinburgh Gap.

Directions to Edinburg Gap / Woodstock - provided by Ted tgimger@mdw.mitre.org

Take I-66 west to I-81 south. Exit onto Rt 42 East and then head North on US 11 into the town of Woodstock.
    Once in Woodstock, take a right onto East Court Street. At the end of the street (less than a block) turn left onto Water
    Street and then almost immediately turn right onto 758. If you can make it to 758, you’ve got it made.
    758 heads across the North Fork of the Shenandoah and up a mountain. You’ll eventually see a sign that says “Welcome to
    the George Washington National Forest”. Soon after that will be scenic overlook that also has an observation tower. Stop
    and take pictures if your into that sort of thing – it’s a great view from the tower.
    Not far after the overlook you’ll come to a split in the road, turn right, staying on 758. Now less than a mile later you’ll
    see the entrance to the Little Fort camping area on your right. At the back of the camp ground you’ll find the entrance to
    the Off Road Vehicle Trail – it is clearly marked with “Tread Lightly” plates on the trail markers.
    The trail is about 7 miles long and runs south to Rt 675 at Edinburg Gap. You can also pick up the trail there if you like
    by exiting I-81 at Edinburg and picking up 675 out of town. It intersects US 11 at the Edinburg Jeep Dealership – should
    be easy to remember [​IMG]
    Camping is allowed anywhere within the GW National Forest as long as your vehicle is totally off the road/trail. Once on
    the ORV there are no facilities, so you may want to stay at one of the camp grounds at either end of this ORV trail.

The top 3 Trails in the Harrisonburg area of GWNF

Trail #1
    From DC get on to 81 south.
    Exit onto 33 west go through Harrisonburg.
    Take a right onto 612 (easy to miss the first time).
    Follow 612 till you find a sign directing you to an ATV park (It will be a left hand turn right after a church on to a
    maintained dirt road (it will be FR 72)).
    Go for about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile and make a right (should be easy to find as there are trees on both sides except where to
    make the right turn)
    Congrats! you are now on the trail. It follows and crosses a stream for about 3 to 4 miles. Has some moderate rock
    climbs when going up dry creek beds.
    At the end of the trail you come to a dirt road “T” intersection.
    Make a left.
    You will then come to a four-way intersection. To the left and right is FR72. Straight will take you to the middle of trail
    #2. (take the left to get back to 612).

Trail #2
    Second Mountain / Ditcum Ridge Loop (Tread Lightly sponsored)
    Follow above directions to get to 33 west.
    Once on 33 west turn right onto Second Mountain (There is a non standard wooden sign with white letters).
    That’s it!
    Follow the loop around till it gets back to 33.
    (Not many camping spots on the above trails)

Trail #3
    Take 81 south.
    Then 33 west.
    In the town of Harrisonburg, take 42 south.
    Make a right onto 257 west.
    Keep following the signs for 257 west.
    Eventually 257 turns into a one lane paved, mountain road. At one point towards the top, 257 make a 180 turn (rather
    sharp). If you go straight instead of following the paved road you will go on to a dirt road.
    Follow the dirt road for about 5-6 miles. (plenty of camping on side trails).
    Dirt road will come out of the trees into a large open plateau area with a great view to the north. Stop here and walk the
    perimeter of the plateau. You will spot the tire ruts to the trail to the N/NE of the open plateau. This is the trail head.
    Trail goes for about 3 miles.
    Take a right at a burned down cabin (this gets you on FR225).
    Going straight puts you on private prop.
    All three trails have been traversed with limited scrapping in a stock 93 Wrangler with P215 tires. Longer wheel-bases
    may have a harder time.

7. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:26 AM
    EL TACOROJO

EL TACOROJO SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.

Member:
    First Name:
    BURRY
    south mills NORCAK
    Vehicle:
    03 dblcab prerunner sr5 v6
    smoked taillights,smoked front turnsignals,smoked 3rd brake light,black badges,black roof rack,removed mud flaps,debadged, camburg 2.5 coilovers,camburg uca's, cobra 25 cb, 4ft firestick ant, dust light/bed lights , 4 hellas on the front
    If your lookin for out of state there is uwharrie national forest in troy nc. 5 bucks for an all day. Trail pass

8. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:47 AM
    Whitfield

Member:
    Central Virginia
    Vehicle:
    Uwharrie is definatly worth dooing with a group camping on a long weekend. Closed thru the freeze thaw cycle ~ about now thru early April. Uwharie is a 5hr+ trip from NOVA.

MapQuest: Eldorado Outpost
    4021 NC Hwy 109 N
    Troy, NC 27371

http://www.sfwda.org/trails/uwharrie/index.html

The trails can get right chalenging for a Daily Driver...

P1010136_9a533d555af7ededb831031c6a873cb785d5186a.jpg

IMG_0439_8e06159aab71a1a8914f4b4931ed23aea452ecf7.jpg

IMG_0413_471c324b5dbe14a2ef8e4531350ffae8a079eeaf.jpg

They have hood deep mud too if that is your thing...

9. Dec 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    Hamwi Taco

Hamwi Taco [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hani
    Leesburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    D-cab OR SB

Just a Soud Ordnance 8" powerd sub... I just bought my truck 2 weeks ago, i looked up some pics of the stafford trails, they look nice and tempting let me know the next time you plan a trip...

thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top