1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Gun Owners in Backwoods VA

Discussion in 'South East' started by JBarbaresi, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Jan 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM
    JBarbaresi

JBarbaresi [OP] '10 DC TRD SPORT 6SPD

Member:
    First Name:
    JEREMY
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 SILVER DC TRD SPORT 6SPD
    3" OME LIFT W/ 885 IN FRONT AND N182 W/AAL IN REAR, DIFF DROP, SWAY RELOCATE, CARRIER BEARING DROP, AXLE SHIMS, MAGNAFLOW CATBACK EXHAUST, 16X8 KONIG COUNTERSTEER OFFROAD WHEELS, 265/75 DURATRACS, BLACK WESTIN ULTIMATE BULL BAR, BLACK GO RHINO DOMINATOR II NERF BARS, TWM BIG TYPE R SHIFT KNOB, INJEN INTAKE, WEATHERTECH MATS, GRILLCRAFT BLACK MESH GRILL, 20% TINT, DEBADGED, AMERICAN FLAG VINYL DECAL, GADSDEN FLAG VINYL DECAL, "SUA SPONTE" TOW HITCH COVER
    I'm moving down to Bedford County in about 2 weeks onto a fairly large plot of land. I'm trying to figure out what the VA State and local laws are pertaining to discharging firearms on private property.

I've searched the VA State LIS (http://leg1.state.va.us/000/lst/LS897099.HTM) and the list of local firearms ordinances (http://www.dgif.state.va.us/hunting/regulations/local-ordinances.pdf) which do not apply to Bedford County. The only VA State laws I was able to find in the LIS are pertaining to public property and shooting from vehicles, across roadways, in public buildings, etc...

Can someone point me in the right direction for laws that pertain to minimum distances from other residences/buildings required to discharge firearms on private property?

2. Jan 21, 2011 at 8:04 AM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    If there's any law for distances it will be posted in the Game and Inland Fisheries book. I don't think you have anything to worry about. There's no laws that I'm aware of in Bedford Co. and that's not too far from me. If you wanted to be on the safe side I'd assume you could call the county police over there and ask them about any local ordinances that would have to do with firearms but I think you're in good shape.

3. Jan 23, 2011 at 8:03 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    If you live in the county, afaik you can blast away. I live near Bedford and have property in the county and have never had any problems. And lol at backwoods VA.

4. Jan 23, 2011 at 10:00 PM
    JBarbaresi

Member:
    First Name:
    JEREMY
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    3" OME LIFT W/ 885 IN FRONT AND N182 W/AAL IN REAR, DIFF DROP, SWAY RELOCATE, CARRIER BEARING DROP, AXLE SHIMS, MAGNAFLOW CATBACK EXHAUST, 16X8 KONIG COUNTERSTEER OFFROAD WHEELS, 265/75 DURATRACS, BLACK WESTIN ULTIMATE BULL BAR, BLACK GO RHINO DOMINATOR II NERF BARS, TWM BIG TYPE R SHIFT KNOB, INJEN INTAKE, WEATHERTECH MATS, GRILLCRAFT BLACK MESH GRILL, 20% TINT, DEBADGED, AMERICAN FLAG VINYL DECAL, GADSDEN FLAG VINYL DECAL, "SUA SPONTE" TOW HITCH COVER
    i'm gonna be in goode surrounded by farmland and nothing but woods in my backyard.

5. Jan 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    2012 FJ Cruiser Maggiolina Medium Grand Tour w/winter hood National Luna dual battery split charging system ABR Sidewinder Aux battery tray ARB 50qt Fridge w/Transit Bag Bajarack flat rack w/ladder Crawlarado flat black hood blackout TRD exhaust Trasharoo Outback FJ roof console
    <---Dated a girl in Goode and basically lived there for 4 years.

6. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:38 AM
    JBarbaresi

Member:
    First Name:
    JEREMY
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    sweet. my wife and i are psyched to get down there away from all the congestion and libs in northern va. finally some privacy... not to mention plenty of woods to take my kids camping, playing, etc...

7. Jan 24, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
  8. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    JBarbaresi

Member:
    First Name:
    JEREMY
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    i didn't go explore it yet, but there was a trail right in my backyard where we're moving. you gonna come play one day?

9. Jan 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    hell yea! U kno this Man!!

10. Jan 24, 2011 at 2:25 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    Sounds like a plan to me! (that's if your talking to anyone in this conversation lol) Are you close to Goode store if you don't mind me asking? It is very peaceful out there, you will enjoy it I'm sure.

11. Jan 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM
    JBarbaresi

Member:
    First Name:
    JEREMY
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    hell yeah if the trail ends up being anything, the more then merrier. i'm not too sure where goode store is. i know nothing about the area except for my address. we don't move till feb 10th so hopefully i will get more aquainted after that.

12. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM
    Enzo

Enzo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Opie
    Bedford, Va
    Vehicle:
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    It'll be good to have another Tacoma owner in the area, the only other person I know of is Fire931. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

13. Jan 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    I'm looking at property in bedford right now.... awesome that you found yourself a nice plot...mind telling me what realtor you used? I'm just starting my search now but hope to have find something while the market is still down. Good luck with the move and hope the trail turns out to be a good one.

14. Jan 24, 2011 at 6:42 PM
    JBarbaresi

Member:
    First Name:
    JEREMY
    Lynchburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    we are just renting because i'm in the military and its not practical to keep purchasing houses every time i move, and plus we are still under water on a house up in MD that i'm renting out to break even. the realtor we used was hill city realty, karen lovekamp. they do rentals and sales and she was pretty nice and straight forward to deal with.

not sure what your price range is but we looked at this one which is for sale and for rent in bedford city. its absolutely awesome but a little too far from my work (lynchburg).

http://www.tandeproperties.com/forsale/5108oldcountry.asp

15. Jan 24, 2011 at 8:10 PM
    tisher49

tisher49 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    Orange, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '08 4.0L 4x4
    K&N Air Filter, Westin Bull Bar with PIAA fog lights, Retrax cover, Alpine Head unit with I-Pod interface, maglite mount, Color matched grill surround w/ Grillcraft mesh
    yeah that definitely makes sense to rent in your case. I have an apartment here where I work so I am just looking for some property that I can hunt and possibly build a cabin on one day. Thanks for the quick response.

Products Discussed in

To Top