1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Alabama Off-road/ Mods/ Meets Thread

Discussion in 'South East' started by SuthrnTaco07, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Apr 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    I don't, but here is the back of it when its folded down. Its just some scrap flat we had lying around with wheels studs welded in.

[​IMG]

2. Apr 29, 2013 at 8:09 AM
    Davtopgun

Davtopgun Weeeee mod time!

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.
    Useful, and free. You can't beat that. I built mine out of an old wheel bearing and my old shackles. Works great.

3. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:42 PM
    jspadaro

jspadaro Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
  4. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    TacoAlaMode Custom grill, SCS Gunmetal F5's, Treadwright guard dogs, King extended travel coilovers w/800# springs, OME Dakars. LRUCA's. Allpro off-road plate rear bumper with high clearance hitch, steel breaded extended brake lines front and rear, SOS concepts bolt on rock sliders with top plate, Pelfreybuilt front plate bumper, rci skid plates, Airflow Snorkel, Tom Woods custom one piece drivesahft, Weathertech in channel rain guards, Bushwacker fender flares, custom cab height bedrack, 60" Hi-Lift jack w/Mount, Recon 10,500lb waterproof winch with synthetic line, rear bumper light pods, front bumper light pods and light bar.

You'd likely have to get some air bags and/or helper springs, but I think you could tow it.

I towed a few cars and trucks with my 07 2.7l. Get used to downshifting when approaching hills though.

Awesome price on that rig though!

5. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    I'm trying to ballpark the weight. A stock sami is about 2 grand, you throw on 500lb dana 44's and armor, figure it's somewhere in the vicinity of 3200?

6. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:49 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    I'd say that would be a pretty good guess. Maybe call the guy and see if he has weighed it?

7. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, not a bad idea. thanks Dave. :thumbsup:

... Because the apartment complex is gonna LOVE having a fourth car of mine in the lot, and one that looks like that at at that. :D

8. Apr 29, 2013 at 12:57 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    I had 4 trucks and a bike parked out in front of my apartment a couple months ago. Neighbors don't like it much. :D

9. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:00 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    id think once loaded down you are looking closer to 3500. Don't forget, tires will add another 300 ish. and then around 1500 for a trailer good enough to tow.

10. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:02 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Really probably more like 2 g's for a tandem-axle... Point taken. I wouldn't want to do 5500 regularly for any distance even if I had a v6.

Maybe I'll go talk to this guy:
    http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/3686823510.html

11. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:04 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    yeah. it was taxing on my v6 with the cj. Given I still pulled it with my 33's on there. an old cj5 is about the same size as a zuke.

12. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    TacoFMS

TacoFMS Bubble bubble bubble pop

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Louisa County, VA
    Vehicle:
    Just a vehicle to take trash to the dump
    One or two things modded... Check out the build thread
    not to mention noone around here had to pull anything like the daily commute you see jim. i would think it might get a bit tricky on 40 and 75 through those hills and curves. but just my .02

edit... i guess you dont see as much of 40 as i was thinking, forgot how far outside knoxville i have to come just to get to your town.

13. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:16 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Yeah, I really want one with 33-35's and toyota axles, should weigh in at more like 2500, 2800 tops. I'll keep looking, thanks for the reality check guys.

14. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:17 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    but for a few hundred lbs more......

15. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:19 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Hah, the fictional sami I described (pretty much that one in nashville is what I want) can surely do the moderate trails at windrock, easily keep up with y'all in alabama, and be a lot of fun.

Probably some day in the future when the taco is old and sad, I'll trade it in on an f-150 and go get some big crawler, but I have a lot of easier driving to get good at before then. I'm not there yet by a long shot.

16. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    I think the problem is that you want a 4x4 truck w/big tires, and you're truck isn't really suited for towing what you want to buy.

You're likely going to be stuck buying a smaller off road rig with smaller tires, an off road rig that is road capable, or a bigger truck.

17. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:22 PM
    FlawedXJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    Rock bouncing is quite fun though!

18. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Not true, I'd actually like a side-by-side, those looked fun as crap and if I did manage to break down on the trail, I could definitely get back off.

I was riding in two 4x4 trucks with big tires, they broke down, and one of them was there until 5am because he couldn't get out. I want something small.

Too bad sxs's are so damn expensive, or i'd just buy one of those.

19. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Davtopgun

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Central Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off-Road
    I agree in the side by sides, they are awesome but the price reflects it.

I was referring to this post. VVV

You could always pick up an Argo. :rolleyes:

20. Apr 29, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    jspadaro

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    Former Tacoma Owner
    Blue Oval Mod
    Hah, I must have missed something. Man, a sami with 33's or 35's will go plenty of places, especially if I don't have to be so antsy about breaking it like I am with the taco. You guys have seen me, I'm like a little girl - kyle had to hold my hand and do all that spooning last time.

To Top