Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Alabama Off-road/ Mods/ Meets Thread

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #961
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
So is this what you are talking about with a "lil wil"?
http://www.truckers-store.com/store-..._40536885.html
Old 07-19-2012, 10:09 AM   #962
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
no second gen beds arent metal. that is what he was saying
This. You will probably be fine in a first gen having it on / in the bed. I'd do a metal mount somewhere on the metal bed, with one of those antennas mentioned before, and it should tune up fine. You'll have to trim the whip to tune it, but that's true with any antenna. Larsen gives you a sheet that tells approximate lengths for different mounting locations. On a metal bed it'll probably end up being close to a "fender mount" length. Obviously trim on the long side. You can always take more off if you have to. I think with mine on the fender up front I took about an inch off or so. Can't remember exactly though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac424205 View Post
So is this what you are talking about with a "lil wil"?
http://www.truckers-store.com/store-..._40536885.html
Yup. Best mag mount around.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #963
mac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud ofmac424205 has much to be proud of

Name: Mathew
mac424205's Tacoma Gallery
ok, what about this radio?
http://www.truckers-store.com/store-...097859237.html
Old 07-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #964
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac424205 View Post
I think TacoAlaMode has that radio. May want to check with him and see how he likes it.

I really like my Uniden Pro 520XL for its size and price. I know some of the bigger radios have more gee-jaws and doo-dads, and maybe even a what's-it, but for the bucks my 520XL has been great.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #965
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe at the next meet or something you could help me fine tune my radio. I have the SWR set within limits, but a little tighter would be nice. I wish I had the wiring for my linear amp. My stepfather left me all of his amature radio equipment and CB stuff. You should see some of this. I bet a collector would LOVE it. That linear amp, if memory serves, he said was 200 watts! He had it in his rig when he was a truck driver, then moved it to his pickup. I can still to this day remember his call letters "KCY 5856"

EDITED FOR PHOTOS

Old 07-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #966
Mr. Midlife Crisis
TacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoAlaMode's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
I think TacoAlaMode has that radio. May want to check with him and see how he likes it.

I really like my Uniden Pro 520XL for its size and price. I know some of the bigger radios have more gee-jaws and doo-dads, and maybe even a what's-it, but for the bucks my 520XL has been great.
Yup, that is the one I have. Been working well. I like that it has diagnostic and swr meter built in. The different colors add some customization. I haven't had any weather alerts through it yet or hooked my PA up yet.

I am running a 4' firestik mounted to my hood hinge. I don't keep it on the truck except offroading and long trips. At Stoney, we were a few miles in and over some hills and I picked up a guy in the parking lot. Probably 3 miles by crow fly. Sounded good and solid. I haven't checked distance on the road yet.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #967
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
derp
Old 07-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #968
mmmmmmbourbon.

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoAlaMode View Post
Yup, that is the one I have. Been working well. I like that it has diagnostic and swr meter built in. The different colors add some customization. I haven't had any weather alerts through it yet or hooked my PA up yet.

I am running a 4' firestik mounted to my hood hinge. I don't keep it on the truck except offroading and long trips. At Stoney, we were a few miles in and over some hills and I picked up a guy in the parking lot. Probably 3 miles by crow fly. Sounded good and solid. I haven't checked distance on the road yet.
Impressive. Having the antenna up with a lump of metal under it makes a big difference! The plastic bed on the 2nd gens just doesn't cut it.

Glad to hear that's working out well for you.

For those who don't have the mad fab skills, you can get a mount like Brian is running from Relentless Taco:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/rel...-products.html

If you're gonna run fiberglass, that's the way to do it. Hell, if you're gonna run ANY antenna for CB, putting it up on the hood is the way to go.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #969
mmmmmmbourbon.

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Maybe at the next meet or something you could help me fine tune my radio. I have the SWR set within limits, but a little tighter would be nice. I wish I had the wiring for my linear amp. My stepfather left me all of his amature radio equipment and CB stuff. You should see some of this. I bet a collector would LOVE it. That linear amp, if memory serves, he said was 200 watts! He had it in his rig when he was a truck driver, then moved it to his pickup. I can still to this day remember his call letters "KCY 5856"

EDITED FOR PHOTOS

Nice! Yeah that's an old CB call sign, back before that spectrum space was unlicensed like it is now. Way cool. That Heathkit piece is probably worth some bucks. There seem to be folks that collect the heathkit stuff.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #970
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Was thinking about working instead of coming to the meet. Then they made me work 12hrs today. Yep ill see you guys the 28th haha!
Old 07-20-2012, 02:12 PM   #971
TODDMFD is on a distinguished road

Firefighter:
Name: Todd
TODDMFD's Tacoma Gallery
I will post better pics later, but here is the new look.

Old 07-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #972
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

looks good. Looks familiar too!
Old 07-20-2012, 04:36 PM   #973

Firefighter:
TODDMFD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
Thanks man. It is a very common look, but even if nobody ran this setup I would still choose it.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #975

looks good man. Better plan on getting some UCA's soon otherwise you are going to chew those tires up.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #976

Firefighter:
TODDMFD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
looks good man. Better plan on getting some UCA's soon otherwise you are going to chew those tires up.
Thanks for the advise. Any suggestions on affordable UCA's?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM   #977

Total Chaos.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:01 PM   #978

Firefighter:
TODDMFD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
New to all this...Why would the stock UCA make the tires wear quicker?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #979
mmmmmmbourbon.

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TODDMFD View Post
New to all this...Why would the stock UCA make the tires wear quicker?
Can't get the alignment spot on with stock UCA's and a lift generally.

Also check out the Light Racing UCA's from Metal Tech. They run group buys on here from time to time, and it's a great deal. I'd actually call them and ask for the GB rate individually. They're super nice. Might give it to you.

Quote:
Someone turned on the echo effect on the forum. Echo echo... echo... echo...
Old 07-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #980

Firefighter:
TODDMFD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Can't get the alignment spot on with stock UCA's and a lift generally.

Also check out the Light Racing UCA's from Metal Tech. They run group buys on here from time to time, and it's a great deal. I'd actually call them and ask for the GB rate individually. They're super nice. Might give it to you.

Someone turned on the echo effect on the forum. Echo echo... echo... echo...
Thanks for the advise. Money has burnt a hole in my pocket so I might have to wait a bit.

Products Discussed in this Thread