Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

New lift on its way, looking for install help in Charlotte

Old 05-20-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
pollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
pollock21's Tacoma Gallery
New lift on its way, looking for install help in Charlotte

Hey guys, I live up in cornelius just north of Charlotte. I just ordered the new ishock kit and it should be here early this week. I have the know how, just not a garage.

I'm looking for anyone with a garage that may want to help with the install. The coils are already assembled, so the install will be front and rear shocks, rear 1" blocks, uca's, and diff drop. I put on my 5100's so I have a know how on everything except the blocks and the diff drop. From what I hear, the diff drop isn't that hard, so the rear blocks will be the only tricky part I've never tackled.

I borrowed my friend's dewalt cordless impact wrench, and that thing is a beast, but it will really help with the install. Basically I need someone with a garage, jacks, and jack stands. I have everything else that we'll need.

I can bring the beer, throw in some cash, whatever it takes to get it done. Just looking for some help from anyone local. Or if you have a stock taco and you're looking for some 5100's, we can work out a trade with cash as well and go ahead and install on your truck. I'm pretty much up for anything, so if you have an idea, throw it my way.

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Old 05-23-2012, 05:41 AM   #2
pollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud ofpollock21 has much to be proud of

Bump it up!
Old 05-23-2012, 06:06 AM   #3
themosjohn is on a distinguished road
themosjohn's Tacoma Gallery
brian, i live in hudson, about 12 miles from hickory. got a big garage behind the house. i've got a broke wrist so i wouldn't be much help, but i'm home and out of work for a while so any time i'd be available. Don't know if its too far for you but its there for the using. john
Old 05-23-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Thanks John, I'll figure something out and get back with you if I wanna head up that way. Hickory isn't too far.

Do you have jacks and jackstands?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
yeah man, got jacks/stands, fair amount of tools and air comp. ill pm you my number.john
Old 05-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Nick
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of UCA's do you have, and are you buying new bolts for them, or trying to pull them out the engine bay?

Also - I wouldn't bother with the diff drop. IMO they cause more issues than solve.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:57 AM   #7

www.ishock.com

Comes with coilovers, uca's, diff drop, and 1" rear blocks.

That's the kit I got, brand new for the tacos. They make the uca's as well. My assumption is that they come with their own bolts. But I'll know for sure tomorrow when the kit comes in. I'll probably do the lift, then take a look at the cv angles and make a decision at that point on the diff drop.

Where you at in Huntersville? I've probably seen your truck before. I live in Caldwell station up off of 115 and 73.

Thanks John, I'll be in touch and let you know what I'm gonna do for sure.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
MadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
I don't think any kits provide the UCA bolts. They all assume you'll reuse the stock bolts - which is a pain to get out. I just bought new bolts and cut my stockers out instead of messing with removing and bending parts in the engine bay to get them out.

I'm over in MacAulay, off Stumptown Rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock21 View Post
www.ishock.com

Comes with coilovers, uca's, diff drop, and 1" rear blocks.

That's the kit I got, brand new for the tacos. They make the uca's as well. My assumption is that they come with their own bolts. But I'll know for sure tomorrow when the kit comes in. I'll probably do the lift, then take a look at the cv angles and make a decision at that point on the diff drop.

Where you at in Huntersville? I've probably seen your truck before. I live in Caldwell station up off of 115 and 73.

Thanks John, I'll be in touch and let you know what I'm gonna do for sure.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #9
tbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtbturner47 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
tbturner47's Tacoma Gallery
Brian if you haven't gotten them on yet hit me up. I'll see if my uncle will let me use his lift. If not we can use john's garage cuz I live in Hudson as well.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Hey bud, just got your PM as well. I have an insanely busy month coming up and I scheduled it to go in the shop on Tuesday. Carolina Trailer and Hitch is gonna do it. Decent rate compared to others. But if I change my mind, I'll let you know!

How you liking your kit? Did you need to do extended brake lines? Any vibes?
Old 06-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #11
time to add some pics of the finished product. how you like the new set up?
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #12

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...pension-7.html

There's some pics in there and my review, but I want to start a new review thread since my install and review is buried in a thread about someone inquiring about the kit.

I'm absolutely loving it so far! I'll get some better pics posted as well. So far they're just cell pics. I took some last night that are much better, just need to host 'em and post 'em. Awesome ride, and lot of adjustment up front. It's a really solid kit and I don't know if it can be beat at that price point. UCA's, coilovers, rear shock, rear block (or AAL for no upcharge) all for $1600. And DSM is selling the kit, so you get to deal with those guys which is always a plus.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #14

For Sure! I've been wanting to wheel it for a while now. I miss WV, so many places to go!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #15
2005Taco4X4 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
2005Taco4X4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollock21 View Post
Hey bud, just got your PM as well. I have an insanely busy month coming up and I scheduled it to go in the shop on Tuesday. Carolina Trailer and Hitch is gonna do it. Decent rate compared to others. But if I change my mind, I'll let you know!

How you liking your kit? Did you need to do extended brake lines? Any vibes?
How much did Carolina Trailer and Hitch charge to do your install? I'm looking to get my 5100's installed with an AAL.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:23 PM   #16

Their shop rate was $65 an hour. They did a good job on the install, just didn't adjust my coilovers at all which left me with a sour taste in my mouth. They charged me 5 hours labor, came out to around $400 with an alignment. I'm guessing they'd charge you about the same, maybe less. My kit was coilovers, uca's, and rear 1" block. If I had a garage and the tools, I could do it in 2 hours. My kit should have taken no more than 4, but it is what it is.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:36 AM   #17
MadToy's Tacoma Gallery
If you're in the Charlotte area, Auto Solutions does great stuff at a great price - especially for Toyota guys. The owner, Brian, wheels with us with his FJ Cruiser. They do lifts, suspension, body mount chops, etc. Great guys. Right off Harris blvd on Statesville Road.