1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New lift on its way, looking for install help in Charlotte

Discussion in 'South East' started by pollock21, May 20, 2012.

1. May 20, 2012 at 7:01 PM
    pollock21

pollock21 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tacoma DC, TRD Sport 4x4
    Hey guys, I live up in cornelius just north of Charlotte. I just ordered the new ishock kit and it should be here early this week. I have the know how, just not a garage.

I'm looking for anyone with a garage that may want to help with the install. The coils are already assembled, so the install will be front and rear shocks, rear 1" blocks, uca's, and diff drop. I put on my 5100's so I have a know how on everything except the blocks and the diff drop. From what I hear, the diff drop isn't that hard, so the rear blocks will be the only tricky part I've never tackled.

I borrowed my friend's dewalt cordless impact wrench, and that thing is a beast, but it will really help with the install. Basically I need someone with a garage, jacks, and jack stands. I have everything else that we'll need.

I can bring the beer, throw in some cash, whatever it takes to get it done. Just looking for some help from anyone local. Or if you have a stock taco and you're looking for some 5100's, we can work out a trade with cash as well and go ahead and install on your truck. I'm pretty much up for anything, so if you have an idea, throw it my way.

Thanks in advance,
    Brian

2. May 23, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    Bump it up!

3. May 23, 2012 at 6:06 AM
    themosjohn

themosjohn Active Member

Member:
    caldwell cnty,nc
    Vehicle:
    2012 6cyl mgm dcsb
    brian, i live in hudson, about 12 miles from hickory. got a big garage behind the house. i've got a broke wrist so i wouldn't be much help, but i'm home and out of work for a while so any time i'd be available. Don't know if its too far for you but its there for the using. john

4. May 23, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    Thanks John, I'll figure something out and get back with you if I wanna head up that way. Hickory isn't too far.

Do you have jacks and jackstands?

5. May 23, 2012 at 10:31 AM
    themosjohn

themosjohn Active Member

Member:
    caldwell cnty,nc
    Vehicle:
    2012 6cyl mgm dcsb
    yeah man, got jacks/stands, fair amount of tools and air comp. ill pm you my number.john

6. May 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    What kind of UCA's do you have, and are you buying new bolts for them, or trying to pull them out the engine bay?

Also - I wouldn't bother with the diff drop. IMO they cause more issues than solve.

7. May 23, 2012 at 10:57 AM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    www.ishock.com

Comes with coilovers, uca's, diff drop, and 1" rear blocks.

That's the kit I got, brand new for the tacos. They make the uca's as well. My assumption is that they come with their own bolts. But I'll know for sure tomorrow when the kit comes in. I'll probably do the lift, then take a look at the cv angles and make a decision at that point on the diff drop.

Where you at in Huntersville? I've probably seen your truck before. I live in Caldwell station up off of 115 and 73.

Thanks John, I'll be in touch and let you know what I'm gonna do for sure.

8. May 23, 2012 at 11:05 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    I don't think any kits provide the UCA bolts. They all assume you'll reuse the stock bolts - which is a pain to get out. I just bought new bolts and cut my stockers out instead of messing with removing and bending parts in the engine bay to get them out.

I'm over in MacAulay, off Stumptown Rd.

9. May 29, 2012 at 8:52 AM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    Brian if you haven't gotten them on yet hit me up. I'll see if my uncle will let me use his lift. If not we can use john's garage cuz I live in Hudson as well.

10. May 29, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    Hey bud, just got your PM as well. I have an insanely busy month coming up and I scheduled it to go in the shop on Tuesday. Carolina Trailer and Hitch is gonna do it. Decent rate compared to others. But if I change my mind, I'll let you know!

How you liking your kit? Did you need to do extended brake lines? Any vibes?

11. Jun 7, 2012 at 7:29 PM
    themosjohn

themosjohn Active Member

Member:
    caldwell cnty,nc
    Vehicle:
    2012 6cyl mgm dcsb
    time to add some pics of the finished product. how you like the new set up?

12. Jun 8, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/suspension/207587-ishock-suspension-7.html

There's some pics in there and my review, but I want to start a new review thread since my install and review is buried in a thread about someone inquiring about the kit.

I'm absolutely loving it so far! I'll get some better pics posted as well. So far they're just cell pics. I took some last night that are much better, just need to host 'em and post 'em. Awesome ride, and lot of adjustment up front. It's a really solid kit and I don't know if it can be beat at that price point. UCA's, coilovers, rear shock, rear block (or AAL for no upcharge) all for $1600. And DSM is selling the kit, so you get to deal with those guys which is always a plus.

13. Jun 8, 2012 at 5:32 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    Looks sweet. We have a group going to URE and Gulches over the next few weeks if you want to see how it does off road....

14. Jun 8, 2012 at 8:04 PM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    For Sure! I've been wanting to wheel it for a while now. I miss WV, so many places to go!

15. Jul 7, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    2005Taco4X4

2005Taco4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Tacoma 4x4 W/ 6 Speed
    All blacked out, Mbrp Off Road Exhaust, K&N intake Fog Lights Mod, Kenwood Headunit, Rockford Fosgate Speakers, 10 inch Kicker Comp Subwoofer, Bilstein 5100's, OME 884's with toytec spacers -3.5" 2 inch aal and 2 inch block 255/85r16 BFG KM2's Brush Guard with 100W lights, Blue LEDs inside
    How much did Carolina Trailer and Hitch charge to do your install? I'm looking to get my 5100's installed with an AAL.

16. Jul 18, 2012 at 8:23 PM
    pollock21

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cornelius, NC
    Vehicle:
    Their shop rate was $65 an hour. They did a good job on the install, just didn't adjust my coilovers at all which left me with a sour taste in my mouth. They charged me 5 hours labor, came out to around $400 with an alignment. I'm guessing they'd charge you about the same, maybe less. My kit was coilovers, uca's, and rear 1" block. If I had a garage and the tools, I could do it in 2 hours. My kit should have taken no more than 4, but it is what it is.

17. Jul 19, 2012 at 5:36 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    If you're in the Charlotte area, Auto Solutions does great stuff at a great price - especially for Toyota guys. The owner, Brian, wheels with us with his FJ Cruiser. They do lifts, suspension, body mount chops, etc. Great guys. Right off Harris blvd on Statesville Road.

Products Discussed in

To Top