Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

OBX Bound!!!

Old 05-24-2012, 06:49 AM   #21
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
What are the towers for?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:59 AM   #23
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Horse hunting
Old 05-24-2012, 09:02 AM   #24
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Vote Republican my friend.
The fuck does this have to do with voting? I suggest you have a look at the facts before you make overarching generalizations about things.

Have a look at this article for instance: http://outerbanksvoice.com/2012/03/2...-access-rules/

It would appear that Richard Nixon (R) and Terrence Boyle (R), both played fundamental roles in the decision to govern beach access, both nation-wide and in NC.

While the liberal-leaning nonprofit groups, The Audubon Society and the Defenders of Wildlife are definitely responsible as well, last time I checked, no one voted them into office.

I cannot stand when people try to make political statements out of non-partisan issues. This beach ban affects all of us, Dem and Republican.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:54 AM   #25
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Are you mad bro?
Old 05-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #26
jds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjds0912 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
jds0912's Tacoma Gallery
Nice rebuttal.

I am however upset that they shut down what was the last bastion of free access on the East Coast.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM   #27
PA.TacomaTRD. is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PA.TacomaTRD.'s Tacoma Gallery
If I go up to Corola to see the horses, will I need a different permit or will the one from Hatteras work there too?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 AM   #28
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.TacomaTRD. View Post
If I go up to Corola to see the horses, will I need a different permit or will the one from Hatteras work there too?
You'll be good, don't think you even need one.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namyo View Post
You'll be good, don't think you even need one.

Everything I'm googleing about Corolla and the horses and offroading is coming up with guided tours, with Jeeps... Is there a DIY offroad trail in corolla where I can take the family and see some horses? I would much rather use my Tacoma than someone elese's Jeep!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:09 AM   #30
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Everything I'm googleing about Corolla and the horses and offroading is coming up with guided tours, with Jeeps... Is there a DIY offroad trail in corolla where I can take the family and see some horses? I would much rather use my Tacoma than someone elese's Jeep!
Yeah man, drive yo chit Drive north towards Corova till the road ends, the beach is like 11miles long, stops at the Va boarder. The horses will most likely be on the beach early, then back in the neighborhood during the day. Read the signs posted in regards to them for stuff like don't be too close to them.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Yeah man, drive yo chit Drive north towards Corova till the road ends, the beach is like 11miles long, stops at the Va boarder. The horses will most likely be on the beach early, then back in the neighborhood during the day. Read the signs posted in regards to them for stuff like don't be too close to them.
Awesome! thanks!
Old 05-29-2012, 04:32 AM   #32
Winger12003 will become famous soon enoughWinger12003 will become famous soon enough
Name: Mike
Winger12003's Tacoma Gallery
Actually as you head north up to Corolla on NC 12, you will be leaving Dare county and Corolla is actually in Currituck county so no permits are needed for beach driving, just obey the signs and watch your speed on the beach, the park service will stop you for speeding on the beach. Have fun, don't litter and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The beach in this area is also alot wider than in some spots down south.
Old 05-29-2012, 06:57 AM   #33
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
I agree, you can just drive your Tacoma. They just give you a map or a gps route to take. The horses show up down closer to the beach either early in the day and later in the day. There are houses and various "roads" back through the woods or brush. We drove some of them when we went, but didn't see horses until close to the end of the day up near the beach.
Old 05-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger12003 View Post
Actually as you head north up to Corolla on NC 12, you will be leaving Dare county and Corolla is actually in Currituck county so no permits are needed for beach driving, just obey the signs and watch your speed on the beach, the park service will stop you for speeding on the beach. Have fun, don't litter and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The beach in this area is also alot wider than in some spots down south.

Great advise thanks...
Old 05-29-2012, 07:54 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
I agree, you can just drive your Tacoma. They just give you a map or a gps route to take. The horses show up down closer to the beach either early in the day and later in the day. There are houses and various "roads" back through the woods or brush. We drove some of them when we went, but didn't see horses until close to the end of the day up near the beach.

Thanks for the advise...
Old 05-29-2012, 03:19 PM   #36

I am a rookie at this, so I know to pressure down to at least 20psi, and i have my pressure gauge, shovel, jack and wood plate, and first aid kit, etc... but do I want to be in 4 wd high or low??? Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I want this to be fun for the family, and dont want to have any hang ups to screw it up?!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #37
CBrva is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
CBrva's Tacoma Gallery
No permits needed for northern beaches but there are rules about speed and parking as the beach here is considered a highway. Only other beaches you can drive on this time of year require the permit. Some good beach driving tips here: http://ncbbaonline.com/about-us/beach-driving.html and here: http://www.currituckchamber.org/beach.htm
Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 AM   #38
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Guilty of not airing back up!

Quote:
I am a rookie at this, so I know to pressure down to at least 20psi, and i have my pressure gauge, shovel, jack and wood plate, and first aid kit, etc... but do I want to be in 4 wd high or low??? Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I want this to be fun for the family, and dont want to have any hang ups to screw it up?!!!
In my 30+ years of driving on the OBX beaches I found that 18 PSI seemed to work well, at least with jeeps. Also, unless I was planning to drive more than 10 to 20 black top miles at a stretch, I didn't bother to air up during the 1 to 2 weeks per annual trip. When black top driving under low air I drove carefully avoiding sudden maneuvers keeping my top speed below 60 MPH and never experienced any problems. This was while driving Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers with standard all terrain tires. Maybe I was just lucky but I did not experience any blow outs or abnormal wear and even managed to get 60 to 90 K miles on each set of tires. It was just plain laziness on my part given that all of the gas stations have free access to air compressors. I don't recommend that anyone avoids airing up after driving on the beach but it seemed to work for me while driving jeeps.

In general, when driving on the beach if you are running the correct air pressure for the conditions you will seldom need to rely on low range. When air pressure is too high you will feel the truck start to lose momentum and bog down. At this point your truck is working too hard and will eventually get stuck and or overheat. If you have lowered your air pressure as far as you can and you are still bogging down, you will need to use low range. Otherwise you only need it when assisting (towing) someone else who managed to get stuck.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 AM   #39
-

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsyab View Post
In my 30+ years of driving on the OBX beaches I found that 18 PSI seemed to work well, at least with jeeps. Also, unless I was planning to drive more than 10 to 20 black top miles at a stretch, I didn't bother to air up during the 1 to 2 weeks per annual trip. When black top driving under low air I drove carefully avoiding sudden maneuvers keeping my top speed below 60 MPH and never experienced any problems. This was while driving Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and Wranglers with standard all terrain tires. Maybe I was just lucky but I did not experience any blow outs or abnormal wear and even managed to get 60 to 90 K miles on each set of tires. It was just plain laziness on my part given that all of the gas stations have free access to air compressors. I don't recommend that anyone avoids airing up after driving on the beach but it seemed to work for me while driving jeeps.

In general, when driving on the beach if you are running the correct air pressure for the conditions you will seldom need to rely on low range. When air pressure is too high you will feel the truck start to lose momentum and bog down. At this point your truck is working too hard and will eventually get stuck and or overheat. If you have lowered your air pressure as far as you can and you are still bogging down, you will need to use low range. Otherwise you only need it when assisting (towing) someone else who managed to get stuck.

I do the same if not leaving the Island....keep it below 55mph on the street and it seems fine. Air down for the weekend and I go right to 16psi.

x2 on the 4wheel High...may use 4Lo when positioning the truck for parking in the sand, pulling some one, or just turning around, but then back to 4Hi
Old 06-01-2012, 03:30 AM   #40

Well thanks for all the advise, two more days and we're on our way... Just hope NASCAR being in Dover doesnt add and un needed travel time to me....