Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

OBX Bound!!!

Old 05-23-2012, 03:44 AM   #1
PA.TacomaTRD. is on a distinguished road

Name: Todd
PA.TacomaTRD.'s Tacoma Gallery
OBX Bound!!!

Hey everyone, My family and I are heading to the South Nags Head area starting on June 3rd through the 10th... We have made this trip several times before, so we are semi familiar with the historic sights and the shopping... I LOVE hatteris and the light house... This time the TACOMA is making the trip...
So does any one have any advice as to what to do this trip down there... Is there somewhere to drive the Taco on the beach, is it legal to do this? Hows the fishing this time of year and what bait to use? The wife likes a restaurant call Sam and Omes, Is there anyother suggestions?
I appriecate any info you may have...
Old 05-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
You can drive on the beach at many of the points from Nags Head Down through Salvo. Also Corolla beach has some awesome beach driving and trails.

http://youtu.be/DREKZzTfTvY
Old 05-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #3

thanks for the advise, is there any permits you need to go on the beach with the truck? I know in NJ there is?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:20 AM   #4
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

No permits needed. Heading down route 12 from Nags Head you can drive in the Oregeon Inlet, and then on beach ramps further down in Salvo. It's a great time!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:21 AM   #5
ahjones92 is on a distinguished road
Name: adam
ahjones92's Tacoma Gallery
make sure you let the air out your tires i hate when ppl are asses an get stuck on the ramp going on to the beach and im pretty sure you got to pay to get on the beach this year, but i think corolla is still free. i can make a trip down there this weekend to see cause i live an hour away
Old 05-23-2012, 04:36 AM   #6
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Need a permit to drive on the beach. As of feb 12
Old 05-23-2012, 05:26 AM   #10
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Ouch, i guess 50 isn't too bad.
-ORV permits can be obtained beginning February 15th at any of the three NPS permit offices located at Coquina Beach, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Visitor Center (Buxton), and the Ocracoke Visitor Center. These offices will be open year-round, seven days a week (except Christmas Day), from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with expanded hours on weekends and holidays during the summer season. The cost of an annual ORV permit (valid for the calendar year) is $120. The cost for a 7-day ORV permit (valid from the date issued) is $50. You must bring your driver's license and vehicle registration with you.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:48 AM   #11
qckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to beholdqckslvr2234 is a splendid one to behold

Law Enforcement:
qckslvr2234's Tacoma Gallery
I have been to the Outer Banks every year since I can remember. I got my truck in 07 and every year we hit the beach in Corolla. We have seen many horses and its not busy at all. Make sure you check the distance from the road though because police will make you move if you park to close. I want to say its like half a mile but I cant remember, just look for the sign. Also Sam and Omie's is awesome.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 AM   #12
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.TacomaTRD. View Post
Hey everyone, My family and I are heading to the South Nags Head area starting on June 3rd through the 10th... We have made this trip several times before, so we are semi familiar with the historic sights and the shopping... I LOVE hatteris and the light house... This time the TACOMA is making the trip...
So does any one have any advice as to what to do this trip down there... Is there somewhere to drive the Taco on the beach, is it legal to do this? Hows the fishing this time of year and what bait to use? The wife likes a restaurant call Sam and Omes, Is there anyother suggestions?
I appriecate any info you may have...
Stop at any tackle shop and ask...they will be more than helpful

Tow strap, block of wood for jack, spare tire, shovel, tire gauge, and a first aid kit are a few things to make sure to have as well.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Old Man
dwsyab is on a distinguished road

Name: David
dwsyab's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs down They have ruined the whole experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
Ouch, i guess 50 isn't too bad.
-ORV permits can be obtained beginning February 15th at any of the three NPS permit offices located at Coquina Beach, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Visitor Center (Buxton), and the Ocracoke Visitor Center. These offices will be open year-round, seven days a week (except Christmas Day), from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., with expanded hours on weekends and holidays during the summer season. The cost of an annual ORV permit (valid for the calendar year) is $120. The cost for a 7-day ORV permit (valid from the date issued) is $50. You must bring your driver's license and vehicle registration with you.
I visited the OBX every year for 30 years avoiding other sections of the east coast that had intrusive ORV regulations. In fact, these trips were the primary reason I started buying 4X4's. We used to drive out on the beach with all of our gear and set up for an entire day of surf fishing, body surfing, beer drinking, sun bathing, kayaking, grilling ect. I was okay when they were just fencing off active nesting sites but when they closed off all access to my favorite areas I stopped going. Now you need a permit? I predict that they will next add requirements for ORV inspections and prohibit all beer consumption on the beach.

This whole subject really pisses me off! Just another reason for no not going to the OBX.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsyab View Post
I visited the OBX every year for 30 years avoiding other sections of the east coast that had intrusive ORV regulations. In fact, these trips were the primary reason I started buying 4X4's. We used to drive out on the beach with all of our gear and set up for an entire day of surf fishing, body surfing, beer drinking, sun bathing, kayaking, grilling ect. I was okay when they were just fencing off active nesting sites but when they closed off all access to my favorite areas I stopped going. Now you need a permit? I predict that they will next add requirements for ORV inspections and prohibit all beer consumption on the beach.

This whole subject really pisses me off! Just another reason for no not going to the OBX.
Vote Republican my friend.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 AM   #15

Wow thanks for all the advise! I really didnt expect such a responce... Thanks again!!! I guess I have to figure out now if the $50 permit is worth it for the time I'll have out there.... Does anyone know how close to these ramps air is available for the tires??? Or do you have to go back to town and hit a mini mart?
Old 05-24-2012, 04:29 AM   #16
SNAPPIN NECKS AND CASHIN CHECKS.
EL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shedEL TACOROJO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: BURRY
EL TACOROJO's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to EL TACOROJO
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.TacomaTRD. View Post
Wow thanks for all the advise! I really didnt expect such a responce... Thanks again!!! I guess I have to figure out now if the $50 permit is worth it for the time I'll have out there.... Does anyone know how close to these ramps air is available for the tires??? Or do you have to go back to town and hit a mini mart?
Red drum is right by Hatteras light house. There are gas staions close by the ramps. I have driven from the hatteras light house to kitty hawk on roughly 10 psi
Old 05-24-2012, 06:34 AM   #17
Whyareyoureadingthis?

Are permits needed for Corolla as well or just the ramps south of Nags Head?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL TACOROJO View Post
Red drum is right by Hatteras light house. There are gas staions close by the ramps. I have driven from the hatteras light house to kitty hawk on roughly 10 psi
This...not that big of a deal, but there is air all over down there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Are permits needed for Corolla as well or just the ramps south of Nags Head?
I don't believe so....just Hatteras Island.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
ian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shedian408 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
ian408's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
Vote Republican my friend.
I don't think that's going to change this particular problem. Could solve a lot of others tho

Great article in National Geographic on the OBX. Haven't read all of it yet-love to go there and see the place.