Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Land between the lakes, meet/wheel/camp filler.

View Poll Results: when would you want to go?
October 3 23.08%
feb or march Ď13 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Land between the lakes, meet/wheel/camp filler.

well me and some of the TN guys been talking about meeting camping and wheeling at LBL=land between the lakes on the TN/KY sate line.

march 1-3 2012

TACO721(ZACH)=yes
MOUNTAINMAN94(CORY)=yes
UNDEAD1153(WESTON) yes(maybe+ 1 friend)
ALLMOTORREX(Gldeon)=yes.
Robertocritser(Levi)=yes
Tjbj11(tim)=yes
jgillchevy+wife= yes
Jspadaro(jim)=maybe
Elnacho(David) =Maybe
SIx + wifey.
sk8rjess(Cody) = yes +2 (+6 maybe)
mossytaco(Jeremy) = maybe
Gregors08 = maybe

edit: from a few videos i have seen on youtube, looks like 4wd would be needed on the trails. also from google maps, looks like their is some paved roads. so maybe 2wd guys could camp and maybe ride in a 4wd on the trails... also don’t care if you have 4 runner or tundra.

for info i’m looking at these 2 places the most right now. http://www.lbl.org/index.html and here, this would be great to read thro a bit if you can. lots of personal info from someone who has been. all tho in a jeep but still. http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...nesee-Kentucky)
Old 08-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
Whooooo!!!!

Now that you mention it, early next year doesn't sound like all that bad of an idea. Gives people time to plan farther in advance and gives them install anything they might get/need (myself included). Definitely in for it though!

Also does anyone have any good videos of LBL? Maybe to get an idea of it.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
GO VOLS!
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
Whooooo!!!!

Now that you mention it, early next year doesn't sound like all that bad of an idea. Gives people time to plan farther in advance and gives them install anything they might get/need (myself included). Definitely in for it though!

Also does anyone have any good videos of LBL? Maybe to get an idea of it.
yeah. and weather would be about the same. but getting warmer not colder.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:23 PM   #5
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
I voted

About a 5 hr drive for me! Perfectly in my camping/wheeling radius! Lol
yeah about the same for me. i would go farther depending on what the place is like.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
UNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to beholdUNDEAD1153 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Weston
UNDEAD1153's Tacoma Gallery
On the second added link, you have to be a member on the jeep forum....
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNDEAD1153 View Post
On the second added link, you have to be a member on the jeep forum....
ok. did not know that. iím a member so i can see it. forum is expedition portal.

but hang on, iíll try and copy it and post on here.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
GO VOLS!

For a few years now, I have struggled with the fact that there are so very few places on the East Coast/MidWest where you can truly get out in the back country and remote camp as so much of the land is privately held and you run the risk of being shot by doing so!
Who knew that right up the road from me, held a place!
It is known as Land Between the Lakes (www.LBL.org). There is a Tennessee side and a Kentucky side. To coin a phrase from Andy Griffith, there are "200 miles of untrammeled loveliness! This wilderness area offers a place called Turkey Bay where there are rated trails, but then much of is is just roads that have been forged through the years and many of them take you only where your level of truck build can take you.

We did some initial research and called one of the Rangers I took Tread Lightly! training with who maintains the offroad portions of the park.
While he offered several places where folks tend to "gather", ... he said ... if you really want to get away from others that are camping, your best bet is to just turn down a road and drive and scope it out.
Well, as you will see, sometimes that can come with a price ... but in the end ... it worked out great.

We arrived there last Saturday, and went first to get our back country passes ($5 per adult, no charge for children, ... so a whooping $10.00 for three days or $25 for the year). We then drove to several of the places he recommended but indeed there were too many folks and while primitive (only steel toilets), just not for what we were looking for. So we started driving, more and more remote. We finally found a road that I knew had not been traveled in a while just because A) too steep a turn off for the average rig, and B) the level of growth on the road, showed that it had not been regularly traversed.

I'll digress by saying that at the Ranger Station, they mentioned that the lakes were way low, and that camping at waters edge held no risk of sudden water rise as they would be low through the summer.

So we started down this road- lots of low hanging trees and branches — had to get out several times to push a branch up and over the jeep and trailer. And lots of pin stripping that luckily buffed out! Lots of major mud holes! Then we arrived at what appeared to normally be a deep cove so we stopped. While I knew I was going to go through it anyway, I gave my 8 year old the thrill of making the call! We pushed through! And on we went until we driving along what would be the "bank" of the lake on one side with trees hanging and the lake on the otherside. A gravel bar if you will. Then it it us- dead end! I don't know how long my trailer and truck are together- never really thought to measure it, but I am guessing 20 feet ... maybe? The challenge, the area we had to turn around was about 12 feet wide. I don't know why this freaked my bride out, ... but it did. It took roughly over an hour of 3 point turns and backing the trailer into 5 feet or better of water to get turned around. It wouldn't have been as big a deal but as you'll see in the pics, there was a log that had banked itself in the water and despite trying to leverage it to move and backing the trailer wheels up to it and nudging, ... it refused to give up it's position! But I finally got us turned in the right direction so when or if we needed to exit, we'd be poised to do so.
And my what a spot! We literally were camping where water once was and probably will be again. It was about 2 miles into this rugged road, which was about 18 miles down some lightly graveled road!
The weather was awesome as we are experiencing a low humidity spell in Tennessee this past week where temps are in the high 70's during the day and mid to upper 50's at night, so it even got chilly at night.
We quickly set up and began our three day stay. Cell services was spotty at best and forget checking internet or this place. I did send a PM but it took over an hour to post!
Below are some pictures of a spot we will be going back to. In the three days we were there, we only saw 4 fishing boats, and only 1 stopped to chat (they smelled my bacon cooking)!

Here are some of the shots:

Here is the lightly graveled road (about 18 miles of it). There were sections of this road, that if I took a picture, you'd have said, we could have been in Alaska or anywhere else!

ok than he has some pic. of the jeep and off road camping trailer on a few trails. don’t know how to post those on here yet.
Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
GO VOLS!

hey guys. just also found this out.

About the maps. 100 series roads blacktop. 200 series blacktop & or gravel. 300 series unmaintained. so if a road is say 312 it would be an unmaintained road. say number is 112 it would be a blacktop road.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
GO VOLS!

yeah. but i think you have to take some of the 100 to get to them. but not 100%sure.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #12
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cory
mountainman94's Tacoma Gallery
I voted for next year, because I might be able to get lifted this Christmas.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:01 PM   #13
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman94 View Post
I voted for next year, because I might be able to get lifted this Christmas.
sweet. try and get a CB as well. iím pretty sure iím about to get a job for a short time. Halloween store, so they close like end of october. going to get new head unit tint and CB. and maybe rock sliders.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:15 PM   #14
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh
mountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmountainman94 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cb would be nice.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:17 PM   #15
GO VOLS!

yeah! also put one cb in front and one in back. that way if someone gets stuff or something guy in front will know. and not leave everyone. lol
Old 09-01-2012, 07:18 PM   #16
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh

Well, if everyone has a cb, then that won't be an issue, eh?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
GO VOLS!

no. but idk if everyone will have one. would be nice tho.

also go to official thread.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:09 AM   #19
awwwwww yeeeeeeeeahhhhh

you can get one for a decent price, can't you? like 80 something?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:15 AM   #20
GO VOLS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertocritser View Post
If its next year looks like I will be needing a cb
yeah same here. should be getting a steady job here soon till end of october. and will be getting one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman94 View Post
you can get one for a decent price, can't you? like 80 something?
i think about 100. plus antenna also you can pay a little more and get one with a PA out put. and add a PA. witch is what iíll do.

Products Discussed in this Thread