Notices

Info...Considering Relocating to West VA/VA Area

Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
1L2L is on a distinguished road
Marines: Sgt, 3/4L, 3/24K, MARFORAF SC Team
Name: AJ
1L2L's Tacoma Gallery
Info...Considering Relocating to West VA/VA Area

I am hoping I can get a little help, my wife and I want to move to the east coast for work... and to get away from our home area. She may be doing a 2 year intern in Maryland, but afterwards we want to settle in the West Virginia or Northern Virginia area.

Could I get some information on good cities to raise a family. I have a daughter, and hopefully another on the way soon We are looking to get into federal government or private careers. Any information on personal property taxes and local state taxes?? I am coming from IL, so not much property tax except house and vehicle registration, but gas and everything is pretty high compared to other places. Also, veteran friendly... though I know the entire east coast is really. Anything else that may help. I did research, but who better to ask than locals. Thanks much everyone.

1L2L
Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
If you plan to retire in the area, PA doesn't tax your retirement
Old 10-01-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
Some days you watch the show, and some days...
Drainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT2(SS) USS Lafayette (B), SWFPAC
Name: Bob
Drainbung's Tacoma Gallery
WV doesn't tax retirement either if that's a concern. Jefferson and Berkeley Counties are located in the eastern panhandle within commuting distance of DC. WV taxes are bit cheaper than MD, not sure about VA.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #6
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Property tax on your vehicles every year, vehicle inspections, and state income tax in VA...
Old 10-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #7
Some days you watch the show, and some days...
Drainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrainbung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT2(SS) USS Lafayette (B), SWFPAC
Name: Bob
Drainbung's Tacoma Gallery
My personal property tax was just over $300 this year for two vehicles and a utility trailer. The annual inspection is a bit of a pain but it's only $12, hardly worth the time to do the paperwork. They're going to get in your pockets no matter where you live.
Old 10-03-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
mad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shedmad monk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
mad monk's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1L2L View Post
I am hoping I can get a little help, my wife and I want to move to the east coast for work... and to get away from our home area. She may be doing a 2 year intern in Maryland, but afterwards we want to settle in the West Virginia or Northern Virginia area.

Could I get some information on good cities to raise a family. I have a daughter, and hopefully another on the way soon We are looking to get into federal government or private careers. Any information on personal property taxes and local state taxes?? I am coming from IL, so not much property tax except house and vehicle registration, but gas and everything is pretty high compared to other places. Also, veteran friendly... though I know the entire east coast is really. Anything else that may help. I did research, but who better to ask than locals. Thanks much everyone.

1L2L
well if you like paying taxes and don't like guns Maryland is the place to be.
rain tax, flush tax, 9% tax on alcohol, vehicle registration on dodge caravan for 2 yrs=$187, 6% sales tax, property tax- don't know the exact rate but for 1600sq ft house on just under 3 acres around $3200/yr. lost track of the gas tax, but it went up another 4cents/gal over the summer. Oct 1 new law that prohibits the sale of "assault weapons". finger prints & rectal examine just to think about purchasing a handgun. and the list goes on. And why am i still here...family.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
1L2L's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad monk View Post
well if you like paying taxes and don't like guns Maryland is the place to be.
rain tax, flush tax, 9% tax on alcohol, vehicle registration on dodge caravan for 2 yrs=$187, 6% sales tax, property tax- don't know the exact rate but for 1600sq ft house on just under 3 acres around $3200/yr. lost track of the gas tax, but it went up another 4cents/gal over the summer. Oct 1 new law that prohibits the sale of "assault weapons". finger prints & rectal examine just to think about purchasing a handgun. and the list goes on. And why am i still here...family.
Thanks Mad Monk, but I do love guns, and not too excited about Maryland's taxes specifically. Lol, thanks for the info.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
1L2L's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVtriple View Post
property taxes on your home right now in WV are (+/-$100) 750.00 per 100k of house valuation.
WV,

Thanks, where I am now property taxes in WV are VERY decent. For a $80,000 house in IL you can pay upward of $3,000 and more is not unusual. Thanks makes a huge part of my decision. I think the other surrounding areas are entirely too expensive. Martinsuburg and Morgantown, including surrounding areas, seems like my two choices so far.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #12
1L2L's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Stay out of MD, ridiculous tax rates.
Lol, thanks. I will make that a point. Maybe just going there to work will not be so bad, but not residency. I am sure they are taxing out of state employees like crazy too though.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #13
1L2L's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone, I think we have narrowed our choices between Morgantown or Martinsburg areas. It seems that WV is a lot more cheaper in living fees. The Martinsburg/Charlestown areas are pretty close VA for a work commute, considering traffic there is horrible anyway. MD... yea, out of the question as far as living. Thanks for all the responses.