Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Huntsville, Al

Old 11-08-2013, 06:30 AM   #1
shawnster88 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shawn
shawnster88's Tacoma Gallery
Huntsville, Al

It's possible I may be transferring my job and moving to the Huntsville, Al area. I currently live in the Florida panhandle. Being I don't know anything about that area I'd like to get some input from the locals. First off, someone told my wife that areas has a lot of tornados and that freaked her out. Do you guys really have a lot of them? I know every area have bad trashy places, is it a nice area overall? Our kids are grown so we don't have to worry about the schools. I think I could make due about anywhere. My two areas of concern is there places to offload and most importantly how's the hunting?? Thanks for any input.
Old 11-08-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
Mr. Midlife Crisis
TacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoAlaMode is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
TacoAlaMode's Tacoma Gallery
I've lived in and around Huntsville for 38 years. To me it is a good place to live. We almost have 4 seasons. Sometimes we will get a little snow a couple of times a year, but most of the time it is just a small dusting. We have the Tennessee river and some lakes around. You also have a few "mountains" that have some good hiking, cycling, picnic... type opportunities.

As for tornadoes, some years we have a lot of warnings and some years hardly none at all. This year as been really quiet, but their was some wind damage done to a few roofs. I don't remember if they actually considered it a tornado or if it was straight line winds. The news normally knows a day or so in advance of when we are going to have a higher risk of tornado activity and when it is a higher chance, you should be weather aware. People are a little paranoid due to the previous couple of years where there was some significant damage done to a few neighborhoods and the main electric grid on the north side of Huntsville. I went without power for 5 days. You can have safe rooms put in or ground units if you are really concerned. For most tornado's, you want to have a small room with no windows to take cover in. We use my wife's closet and in the last 8 years, I have had my family take cover in the closet 4 times. The only time my house has had any damage from bad weather was from a hail storm and I got the shingles replaced on my house from my insurance.

The biggest part of the area is quite decent. Their are only a few areas where it gets a little trashy. You really have quite a lot of options for where you can live. The traffic is not bad and I know people that commute 40 miles each way to get to work. Around here things are measured normally in time, but you can almost count a mile as a minute as long as you are on the parkway or open roads. I live in Southeast Huntsville and love that area. Madison is considered the other side of the world, but it has grown quickly and I don't like the traffic.

There are a few options around for offroading. We seem to be going to Stoney Lonesome lately. It is 1 hr from Huntsville and we meet the Birmingham folks there. There are other parks around that some guys have been too, but I haven't made it to them yet. We keep meaning to go to some of the others, just haven't made it happen where I am involved.

We generally have a large meet in February or March and try to get together quarterly. The actual number of active Huntsville members has dropped a little, but there are quite a few nice Taco's and Heeps. There are a lot of guys who come up from Birmingham and a little beyond and from the outer edges of North AL. If you want to wheel, there is generally someone looking to join.

As for the hunting, I can't say anything for sure my self. I know quite a lot of people here deer hunt and you either need to know someone with land or join a hunting club. Redstone Arsenal sometimes will give out permits, but I don't know the requirements and such. My brother-in-law heads out to the middle part of the state to go deer hunting most of the time. There are places to go duck, turkey and dove hunting.

When you start getting serious about the move, let me know. I'd be happy to give you my opinion on different parts of town and where you might consider buying a house. If you come up, we can meet and I can show you around a little.
Old 11-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
shawnster88 is on a distinguished road

Name: Shawn
shawnster88's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for all the info. The tornados is the only thing my wife is concerned about. I guess it's like people that move down here and the hurricanes. If a tropical storm comes you can tell who's new to the area. The start freaking out. To us it's just another windy rainy day. We don't leave unless its a strong cat 3 hurricane or higher. But at least we know its coming for a while.

I put in for the transfer. It will be a few weeks before I know if everything is approved. At that point we will be making a trip to look things over for sure. I appreciate the offer on meeting up and showing is around. I definitely may take you up on that offer. Thanks again.