Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

F'N Snow/Ice in SC

Old 01-28-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scottalot's Tacoma Gallery
F'N Snow/Ice in SC

Yall ready for this stuff? I'm getting off work early today and don't have to work weds. I don't mind a little snow - but the ice thing sucks.. REally hoping we don't lose power for long. I run on electric heat - that'll never keep up with the cold.. Time to start chopping more fire wood. I don't have a fire place, but I can make one hell of a roaring fire in the back yard.. In the event of a prolonged power outage I'll be getting warm by the fire outside only to go inside to get cold..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
yeah ice is a nightmare!
Hope the weather passes quickly for you guys & gals down there.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #3
User Friendly
scottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shedscottalot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It supposed to pass quickly - but as far as power loss goes there's no telling.. We lost power for about 4 hours a few weeks back when it hit the teens, there was no ice.. As we all know ice and power lines don't mix well.. Sure wish I would've converted to natural gas two years ago when I thought about it
Old 01-28-2014, 08:27 AM   #4
jeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeffvt0508 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
jeffvt0508's Tacoma Gallery
i'm not worried about it man.. the rest of the week it will be like 45-50 degrees by weekend..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #5
User Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
i'm not worried about it man.. the rest of the week it will be like 45-50 degrees by weekend..
It'll be good by the weekend, but until then LOL.. I have a 5 yr. old daughter that is my biggest concern.. Being born and raised in SC I don't like the cold - it brings back memories of the snow/ice storm we had after hugo.. Although this shouldn't be as bad..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:40 AM   #6
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I learned the hard way a couple years ago when we lost power for 7 days .
50 below outside and 5 feet of snow . All my water pipes burst and wife and kids froze. Live in a small town . 4 gas stations in town all ran out of gasoline by the 2nd day into the storm and no fresh deliveries for a week because highway was closed .

Now I have a pellet stove in the basement with battery back up for heating . A small generator for the electric heater and television upstairs /refridgerator .a bunch of LED flashlights as well as candles . I cook with one of those Coleman camping stoves and the barbecue . 2 back up propane cylinders and 3 gerry cans of fuel .

Sure enough we get another power failure this year for 3 days . All my friends and neighbours stayed warm in my house this time .
Old 01-28-2014, 08:50 AM   #7
User Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
I learned the hard way a couple years ago when we lost power for 7 days .
50 below outside and 5 feet of snow . All my water pipes burst and wife and kids froze. Live in a small town . 4 gas stations in town all ran out of gasoline by the 2nd day into the storm and no fresh deliveries for a week because highway was closed .

Now I have a pellet stove in the basement with battery back up for heating . A small generator for the electric heater and television upstairs /refridgerator .a bunch of LED flashlights as well as candles . I cook with one of those Coleman camping stoves and the barbecue . 2 back up propane cylinders and 3 gerry cans of fuel .

Sure enough we get another power failure this year for 3 days . All my friends and neighbours stayed warm in my house this time .

That would suck, no power for a week I'm stocked on Gas, propane, and LED flash lights along with fire wood.. Really wish I had a fireplace - but can't change that.. Good thing is my Grandmother lives a 1/4 mile from me and has a fireplace and a PIA to get started Generator.. We'll be fine - but it won't be any fun at all if the power goes out for long..
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #9
User Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffvt0508 View Post
where do u live scott?
I'm in Charleston - James Island near the coast. Supposed to get more ice here than anything else.. You fella's upstate - I'm sorry...
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #10
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
you say you have your gas and propane, do you have your milk and bread too to make diary sandwiches?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:01 AM   #11
User Friendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by saundern View Post
you say you have your gas and propane, do you have your milk and bread too to make diary sandwiches?
We have that and ample amounts of red meat. We'll be eating lots of grilled/smoked meat
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #12
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottalot View Post
We have that and ample amounts of red meat. We'll be eating lots of grilled/smoked meat
haha i went out to Wal-Mart yesterday because I actually needed groceries, just happened to fall on the eve of the snowpocalypse; was getting out of control and that was around 5 o'clock. I wouldn't even want to venture out there today.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #13
User Friendly

Quote:
haha i went out to Wal-Mart yesterday because I actually needed groceries, just happened to fall on the eve of the snowpocalypse; was getting out of control and that was around 5 o'clock. I wouldn't even want to venture out there today.
Yeah its all sorts of crazy around here. Everyone is stocking up on goods and propane is selling out fast. I do residential/commercial glass work for a living.. We've had ton's of calls this morning for last minute broken window replacement - toooooo late for that people.. Stuff's been broken for years and you wait until the day of the flipping ice storm to fix it..
Old 01-28-2014, 09:11 AM   #14
Swerve for nothing

Quote:
Yeah its all sorts of crazy around here. Everyone is stocking up on goods and propane is selling out fast. I do residential/commercial glass work for a living.. We've had ton's of calls this morning for last minute broken window replacement - toooooo late for that people.. Stuff's been broken for years and you wait until the day of the flipping ice storm to fix it..
they had a story on the news here about how not to blast the defrost in your car as it could crack the windshield. gave some recipe to spray on your windshield to de-ice it
Old 01-28-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Hurry up and start snowing already!!!! No ice, just snow!!! I'm with you guys, hate the ice!!!
Old 01-28-2014, 09:14 AM   #16
Swerve for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
Hurry up and start snowing already!!!! No ice, just snow!!! I'm with you guys, hate the ice!!!
it's so warm here, there's going to be a polar blast though.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #17
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Quote:
they had a story on the news here about how not to blast the defrost in your car as it could crack the windshield. gave some recipe to spray on your windshield to de-ice it
do that every time there's ice on the car. Turn car on, defrost on high, go inside for 5 minutes. might have to re-think that.....
Old 01-28-2014, 09:15 AM   #18
User Friendly

I'm gonna cover my windshield this afternoon to spped up the process of thawing a bit in the event I need to run to my Grandmothers and load her up with firewood..

I do look forward to some snow for my daughters sake. We have a little hill in the front yard that she can sled down.. That part will be good times
Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
Swerve for nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseRed008 View Post
do that every time there's ice on the car. Turn car on, defrost on high, go inside for 5 minutes. might have to re-think that.....
i've done it all the time, never had a problem with it. Guess Toyotas are the best
Old 01-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #20
Gone But Not Forgotten

Air Force:
Quote:
it's so warm here, there's going to be a polar blast though.
Yeah, still a little warm for snow, but it's still pretty to watch the snow come down.

Quote:
I'm gonna cover my windshield this afternoon to spped up the process of thawing a bit in the event I need to run to my Grandmothers and load her up with firewood..

I do look forward to some snow for my daughters sake. We have a little hill in the front yard that she can sled down.. That part will be good times
for playing in the snow with kids

Quote:
i've done it all the time, never had a problem with it. Guess Toyotas are the best
I even have a chip in my windshield (covered in speed tape) that's been there since early '04