Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Alabama!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2012, 04:40 PM   #4201
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthrnTaco07 View Post
Just an Idea... I bought a L2S with Thule bars off a member on here and now seriously thinking about taking a different route and building my own.. But still unsure.. I'm wanting to to the whole expedition style basket in the bed like you guys are talking about. Mount my spare, 2 Jerry cans, High lift, Shovel, Tow rope, Bike mounts, and Kayak mounts.. So I probably need a larger load capacity then my bed track system will offer.. Here's what the mount looks like..

This is the Website:

http://www.love-2-surf.com/

Supposedly it will hold the weight but I just want to double check..

Speaking of the sticker.. Where is mine?
I can do the mechanical analysis to see what all the bed rack can hold. And I don't have anymore stickers
Old 02-21-2012, 04:42 PM   #4202
SuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
SuthrnTaco07's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
I can do the mechanical analysis to see what all the bed rack can hold. And I don't have anymore stickers
Well send me the pic you used and i'll have a friend of mine cut me one..

Please do. That would be very useful information for this forum! I am almost ready to sell my L2S mounting system.. pending Paul's results though..
Old 02-21-2012, 05:34 PM   #4203
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well send me the pic you used and i'll have a friend of mine cut me one..

Please do. That would be very useful information for this forum! I am almost ready to sell my L2S mounting system.. pending Paul's results though..
I seem to recall reading something on expedition portal about guys with rooftop tents on bed racks where the tops of the bedsides carry all the weight having trouble with the sides separating or deforming under the load while wheeling.

Not sure what one of those ARB or similar tents weigh, but I'd bet that rails + bed basket + 10 gal of fuel + hi lift + shovel, etc would be equal or even more. I'm interested to know what your load calcs come out to.

There's a bed rack that the BAMF guy did where he tied it to the frame for just that reason. I'd have to dig up the thread though.

Edit, found BAMF thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/bay...ack-build.html

Edit, found the expeditionportal.com post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpeditionPortal.com - Freeze
So how big of an issue is it with the bed sides spreading out with racks mounted to the bed rails? Anyone experiencing this? I can see it happening with lots of weight on a bed rail mounted rack, but is anyone really carrying that much weight on those? Worst case is the weight of a RTT and two adults in the tent overnight. Can't be that bad. If you were bombing down fire roads with the tent up and those two adults inside the tent (obviously wouldn't happen, just illustrating a point for weight) then I could see some ill effects happening.

Just curious if anyone is really having issues with the bed spreading out.

My bedside spread from just having a topper and rack on top with water and fuel. This was from the Rubicon. I switched out the rack and put the RTT on the topper and it got worse. As soon as I went with the tube rack to the bed floor the sides kinda went back to normal. The metal frame holding the sides together have hairline fractures in them which enables it to spread. Having everything go through the bed floor is much more solid I've noticed.

It just depends on how much weight and how much leverage that weight is putting on the bedsides. Going with tubes or a rack off the bedsides limit your design options if you're going with something custom. Plus the weight distribution and forces want to push outwards versus straight down with the bed rails.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #4204
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

The more info you can give me about the rails and the loading scenario the better. If I get enough info I can probably call the manufacturer and get more details. If we are talking hi lift plus fuel you are looking at
About 120 lbs at least for the unloaded scenario.

Kyle, I bought the stickers on eBay.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #4205
SuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSuthrnTaco07 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesaflaw123 View Post
The more info you can give me about the rails and the loading scenario the better. If I get enough info I can probably call the manufacturer and get more details. If we are talking hi lift plus fuel you are looking at
About 120 lbs at least for the unloaded scenario.

Kyle, I bought the stickers on eBay.

How big was yours? That seems like a pretty good size.. Also are you asking me for scenario details?

At least Hi-lift, Spare 35"-37" wheel and tire, shovel, Straps, and Bikes. The jerry cans come later...
Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #4206
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How big was yours? That seems like a pretty good size.. Also are you asking me for scenario details?
Huhhhuhuhuhuh...uhhhh.... I think the scenario was someone checking out at the grocery store with a muscle mag, kentucky jelly, and jar of kosher dill pickles.

Wait what are we talking about? I blacked out for a second.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #4208

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Huhhhuhuhuhuh...uhhhh.... I think the scenario was someone checking out at the grocery store with a muscle mag, kentucky jelly, and jar of kosher dill pickles.

Wait what are we talking about? I blacked out for a second.
WOW!!! I wasn't even paying attention to what I was typing! I was talking about His "Android Sticker"!! LOL!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #4209
Ironhead is on a distinguished road

Army: SFC MotorPool Supervisor
Name: David
Ironhead's Tacoma Gallery
Just curious am I the only Lowered truck in Alabama LOL see allot of Mud Junkies was just curious
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #4210
mmmmmmbourbon.

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
WOW!!! I wasn't even paying attention to what I was typing! I was talking about His "Android Sticker"!! LOL!
I bet a beer something from this exchange ends up in someone's sig.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM   #4211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
Just curious am I the only Lowered truck in Alabama LOL see allot of Mud Junkies was just curious
I think you might be right but we are all a fan of customization!! So from what I can tell you truck is pretty sick! If you want post up some pics and lets see the beast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
I bet a beer something from this exchange ends up in someone's sig.
I was thinking the same thing!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #4212
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
There are actually many lowered Taco's around, they just hang out on CustomTacos.com. TW is predominantly lifted trucks, though we do have numerous belly grinders here, too. The majority of them hang out on the other side.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:45 AM   #4214
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How big was yours? That seems like a pretty good size..

c'mon you guys are just setting yourselves up now..... you arent even trying anymore
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM   #4215
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
and then cross your fingers and hope he picks you as one of the lucky ones that gets a sticker......... we cant all be the chosen few.

still think our "little group" needs their own stickers to rep. kind of like the other regions have for their groups that meet together. someone needs to get to making some. or at least coming up with some ideas for a design.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #4217
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
just no roll tide or any of that sh*t on it. some of us dont like alabama football teams........ any of them. that oughta piss some folks off.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #4220

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtopgun View Post
So, what are we thinking about a central Alabama meet? Should we start a poll to see where to have it?
travis land. no poll necessary.

Products Discussed in this Thread