Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Alabama!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #11421
jspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjspadaro is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jim
jspadaro's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoFMS View Post
I understand... we are in "money crunch mode" right now so all extra spending has stopped for me, yet i found out the other day my wife has now spent about $600 for curtain material and supplies to make curtains for a house we are about to put up for sale?????? guess money saving only applies to me right now??? so if it keeps this trend i prob wont be able to buy my graduation present when i finish school in december? oh well lifes not fair so why bitch? momma's happy so thats what matters.
I absolutely despise hearing anything along the lines of "happy wife, happy life." If your relationship isn't equal, that's on you bud, not all of us roll that way.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #11422
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xodeuce View Post
Yeah... I know a guy that does HVAC work that might could give me a hand for a nominal fee. I'm hesitant to pay a shop, because my past history with vehicles has been that AC = wallet rape.

Plus... the wife was hella cool in letting me get this thing to begin with. If it turns into, "ok now we gotta pay to fix it," right out of the gates, that's going to be bad. Looking for as DIY / free / cheap as possible, w/o f'ing something up.
Who needs AC....90% of my wheeling, I have the windows down. I've decided that when my AC starts acting up, as long as the compressor is good, its being converted to an OBA set up.

Quote:
I understand... we are in "money crunch mode" right now so all extra spending has stopped for me, yet i found out the other day my wife has now spent about $600 for curtain material and supplies to make curtains for a house we are about to put up for sale?????? guess money saving only applies to me right now??? so if it keeps this trend i prob wont be able to buy my graduation present when i finish school in december? oh well lifes not fair so why bitch? momma's happy so thats what matters.
Yeah, my fiance wants to do curtains for the living rooms. I've had to remind her that even if you DIY, its several hundred dollars. I was lucky enough to have the house come with wood blinds so I see no need for curtains. Not to mention curtains for 11 ft ceilings is ridiculously stupid (like 150 bucks a window and 6 windows).
Old 07-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #11423
mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy
FlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedFlawedXJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
FlawedXJ's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jspadaro View Post
I absolutely despise hearing anything along the lines of "happy wife, happy life." If your relationship isn't equal, that's on you bud, not all of us roll that way.
I completely agree. A relationship takes teamwork. however, I am positive that I spend more (of my money) than my fiance does. Luckily her income will be twice what mine is so we will always be alright with each others hobbies.

Reminds me of when we all watched that YJ bust a driveshaft yoke. The first thing his wife said was "Am I going to have to pay for this too?"
Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #11424
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
AC work at a shop IS butt rape. I'd go without AC before paying. I ended up replacing my compressor, expansion valve, evaporator core, and receiver/drier. Total cost including a good set of gauges and a pump was about $400. The expansion valve alone at a shop would have been at least that, and now I have $170 worth of equipment for the next time.

They perpetuate the myth that AC is some magic voodoo so that they can bend you over for getting it fixed.

To refill, you must vacuum it first, otherwise A) you don't know if you still have leaks and B) you don't get moisture out of the lines.
Yeah, pressurized systems just kinda freak me out for some reason. I know the physics and mechanics, and I know it's not voodoo, just, dunno. Always been hesitant. One of my buddies has a manifold and gauge set, and I think another guy has a vacuum pump that you hook up to an air compressor to run. I've got a compressor with the CFM to run it, so this is shaping up pretty well.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #11425
She's got the jimmy legs
Toyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyotacrawler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Toyotacrawler's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know about you guys, but I'm tired of rain
Old 07-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #11426
mmmmmmbourbon.
xodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shedxodeuce is one of the sharper tools in the shed

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Must... build... full size....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbGXBUif-PE
Old 07-11-2013, 03:43 PM   #11427
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Justin
TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
o i just use that expression for fun. i also use the expression "if dad's mad its real bad" i know all about the teamwork that it takes to be married, after all i did kind of go about the marriage thing one of the most difficult ways you could (both of us lived on our own and mainly alone for 10 years or more before we married plus 5 months after we got married we had a kid to just make it more interesting) but dont worry my marriage is full of happiness and team effort.

mainly it was just a failed attempt at humor and relating to what keith was touching on about the spending. heck if i want to come completely clean about it i could just mention how much i have spent since we went into "money save mode" on detail supplies alone. we are good with our money and are just trying to turn each other into penny pinching hermits to stockpile money for the new house purchase. sometimes we both splurge, it happens???
Old 07-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #11428
My turn.
TacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoFMS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Must... build... full size....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbGXBUif-PE
if you do, i know what your first mod can be........... stitches!!!
Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #11429
mmmmmmbourbon.

xodeuce's Tacoma Gallery
Here it is.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #11430
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, will do. I need to clean it up a bit. I'm kinda picky like that, but once I get all the dirt out of it I'll snap some pics.

Oh Bill.... (or anyone else really)

You know much about A/C? Thing had R12 in it back in 1992, then it got recharged with Freeze 12 in 2009, and now it's not cooling.

My troubleshooting was going to start with the compressor, make sure the electronic clutch is starting it up, it's turning, then check the level (not sure how to do this...), if compressor working, and level low, top off with Freeze 12. That about right?

Any tips?
First things, make sure the compressor is engaging. If not, check the clutch coil system to be sure it is not electrical. Yes, a set of R-12 gauges will be what you need to verify correct state of charge, and to verify the compressor is pumping.

Quote:
you could prob go to a ac maintenance shop or possibly even if you had a friend that did hvac work and use their recovery system and have them pull it out and then just pull a vaccum on the system. this is also a pretty good way to check for leaks. if it holds a vacuum on the system on your way home then you prob dont have any leaks, at least not major ones.

you would however most likely have to change the expansion valve and possibly the drier out to switch refrigerants as they will have different boiling points so require diff amounts of opening in the expansion valve. you could probably use the existing coils in the truck, just may not cool as well or efficiently?? not sure about what the required ratio difference is on coils between the two refrigerants and i dont really know where my books are right off hand.
As to the bold text, plenty of systems can hold in a light 28inch vacuum. It is when you ramp the pressures up to the 250psi or up mark that the real leaks show up.

If doing a R134a conversion it is recommended that you replace the receiver/drier and orifice/expansion valve. No need to replace the condensor or the evap core. They will work fine. There is a very minor difference in performance when changing over. By slight I mean usually no more than a 4 or 5 percent pressure difference, so you would only REALLY notice a difference on really hot and humid days.

Quote:
AC work at a shop IS butt rape. I'd go without AC before paying. I ended up replacing my compressor, expansion valve, evaporator core, and receiver/drier. Total cost including a good set of gauges and a pump was about $400. The expansion valve alone at a shop would have been at least that, and now I have $170 worth of equipment for the next time.

They perpetuate the myth that AC is some magic voodoo so that they can bend you over for getting it fixed.

To refill, you must vacuum it first, otherwise A) you don't know if you still have leaks and B) you don't get moisture out of the lines.
I disagree. This is a VERY difficult business to make a profit in.

Was in a bad place when I first wrote the above. Sorry. I do get defensive when it comes to my job.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #11431
5100s are the same price as spacers, seriously
tacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoftw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoftw's Tacoma Gallery
seen a few tacos in the irondale and vestavia area...saw a ~3" lifted mgm one with an allpro bumper and trail grapps on black wheels at publix the other day. any of you guys on here?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #11432
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

There are a lot of Tacoma trucks in that area for sure. Haven't seen many on the board tho. Welcome to the Alabama thread!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #11433
chadj20 is on a distinguished road
Name: chad
chadj20's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyota Tech31 View Post
Please do so I can get this all figured out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Being in Orlando makes it difficult to set something like this up. At least then I can figure out somewhere good, easy to get to, and not too far from where I will be staying.
Oxford area - steak options are - Outback, Logan's, Lonestar, Longhorn, Applebees, Golden Corral (buffet). Wings n burgers options- Struts, Jeffersons and all your regualr fast food places. Olive Garden, Fuji's and Yume is the japanese restuarants. Pizza - mellow mushroom or Pizza Hut.. hope this helps
Old 07-12-2013, 03:50 AM   #11434
All go, No show
Davtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavtopgun is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
Davtopgun's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Wood floors are rape, but like your situation; they are rape because of the material cost, not the labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoftw View Post
seen a few tacos in the irondale and vestavia area...saw a ~3" lifted mgm one with an allpro bumper and trail grapps on black wheels at publix the other day. any of you guys on here?

I've seen that guy before, but he is not a member here. Justin (TacoFMS) isn't far from there. He drives an 11 MGM DCSB. Stock front bumper though.

We do have a member in Vestavia who drives an 02 I think, access cab long bed, white, and well armored.

I've been seen in the area many times, too. UP
Old 07-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #11435
Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Toyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToyota Tech31 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Toyota Tech31's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadj20 View Post
Oxford area - steak options are - Outback, Logan's, Lonestar, Longhorn, Applebees, Golden Corral (buffet). Wings n burgers options- Struts, Jeffersons and all your regualr fast food places. Olive Garden, Fuji's and Yume is the japanese restuarants. Pizza - mellow mushroom or Pizza Hut.. hope this helps
Awesome, I will look into those sometime in the next few days and see what works. Thanks again!
Old 07-12-2013, 04:09 AM   #11436
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
As to the bold text, plenty of systems can hold in a light 28inch vacuum. It is when you ramp the pressures up to the 250psi or up mark that the real leaks show up.

If doing a R134a conversion it is recommended that you replace the receiver/drier and orifice/expansion valve. No need to replace the condensor or the evap core. They will work fine. There is a very minor difference in performance when changing over. By slight I mean usually no more than a 4 or 5 percent pressure difference, so you would only REALLY notice a difference on really hot and humid days.
Im gonna disagree with you on several levels of that, but since it seems you are a bit on edge from your comment that came after this I will avoid any further discussion about it as to not cause any more hurt feelings.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:42 AM   #11438
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
haha! so its looking like a no go on this weekend huh dave??
Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #11439
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Im gonna disagree with you on several levels of that, but since it seems you are a bit on edge from your comment that came after this I will avoid any further discussion about it as to not cause any more hurt feelings.
I have no problem with a debate or discussion. Honestly. I just tend to get defensive when being called a crook. It's all good. let's hear your basis on disagreement.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #11440
My turn.

TacoFMS's Tacoma Gallery
but noone called you a crook, its like someone saying lawyers are liars, its a generality not a personal attack. part of the business. heck my job automatically ropes me in with being an uneducated hillbilly with no teeth and can't read nor write. but when someone says something like that about miners i don't take it personally and get all bent out of shape. especially when or if it is someone i know, because i know they weren't aiming at me. If they did they would have used my name in the sentence. But as stated earlier I am going to do my best to refrain from debate/discussion right now bc tempers seem to be flared and feelings are on sleeves. no offense just trying to keep things drama free.

Products Discussed in this Thread