Southeast Tacomas

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South East

Notices

Bp Oil Spill

Old 05-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Bp Oil Spill

I am down here in Mobile AL on the bay, where the oil is headed soon. The wind and waves continues to push the oil closer. The devastation to our local economy and wildlife is going to be devastating. Most of the people around here depend on the waters for little to no income, just to feed their families. My heart goes out to all, small businesses and fisherman alike, God Help you all, and God Bless. We are fu**ed, with no reprieve for as long as two months, into the beginning of hurricane season. There is no solution, no answer, all we can do is wait and pray. God Help US
Old 05-02-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
four forty four
oldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldtacomaguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
oldtacomaguy's Tacoma Gallery
Just a terrible situation. I'm hoping for the best. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
You think I was rollin out here naked?
ToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedToucanV13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MA
ToucanV13's Tacoma Gallery
Definetely hope all works out and that the communities in that area will not suffer long or better, not at all. Maybe if we had some people more concerned with stopping/trying to contain a disaster as opposed to yuckin it up at a fucking dinner the people would have more of a chance
Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
mxracer244 is on a distinguished road
Name: Michael
mxracer244's Tacoma Gallery
... but, but they called the SWAT team. What more could they do. (Sarcasm knob turned to 10)
Old 05-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #6
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
I live and work in Destin Florida and hope all turns out well
Old 05-02-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
CRAZY 4WHEELER
desertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddesertdude59 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: From the Mojave desert now in Wild and Wonderful West Virginia
desertdude59's Tacoma Gallery
Not going to be nice on the economy or the wild life. Not a good situation.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
alex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to beholdalex1988 is a splendid one to behold

alex1988's Tacoma Gallery
ya it sucks, but without offshore drilling the middle east would control most of our oil reserves. they could choose to cut us off any time, crippling our entire economy. Bp has give millions of dollars a year to help the environment, and has purchased a 42 million dollar piece of land in south louisiana and set it up as a wildlife preserve. I'm not saying BP is perfect, or that is was not their fault. I'm just saying this is a risk we deal with every day, and if it didn't happen to BP it would have happened to someone else. With all the rigs out there, It has been a miracle this has not happened before.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #9
Banned
4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4jeep is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
4x4jeep's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1988 View Post
ya it sucks, but without offshore drilling the middle east would control most of our oil reserves. they could choose to cut us off any time, crippling our entire economy. Bp has give millions of dollars a year to help the environment, and has purchased a 42 million dollar piece of land in south louisiana and set it up as a wildlife preserve. I'm not saying BP is perfect, or that is was not their fault. I'm just saying this is a risk we deal with every day, and if it didn't happen to BP it would have happened to someone else. With all the rigs out there, It has been a miracle this has not happened before.
Yea not blaming anyone it was bound to happen some day just the hole situation sucks.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #10
opportunityisnowhere!
wolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nicewolfe0zero is just really nice

wolfe0zero's Tacoma Gallery
I'm from south Louisiana and this has potential to be worse than any disaster we've ever seen. Yes, even worse than Katrina. Some lingering effects of Katrina are still around in the economy but most people that plan to rebuild have done so. But this could effect our lives for the next 5-20 years, depending on how severe it ends up being... It has only been 2 weeks and the spill is the size of Puerto rico? What happens if it's still pouring out after 3 months?
Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
Latest estimates are 210,000 gallons leak each day. Think about it. It will be the single most damaging event to hit the U.S. in recent history. (Economically, environmentally). What I STILL don't understand is we could have 10,000 off shore oil rigs but if there arent enough refineries to produce the gas we need, then why keep drilling? We buy from a cartel that sets the price, domestic oil hasnt given me cheaper gas at the pump, and that is what we are all after, right? So new and dangerous sources of oil are here in the states, then why arent we feeling the releif in the wallet? I know reserch and development, maintaining an infrastructure are expensive but look at the PROFIT statements the oil companys post to their shareholders every quarter. Profit statements are after all expenses are paid....Last I looked BP shares fell 2.5% since4/20/2010 ( the date of the explosion) almost 26 BILLION U.S.Dollars down. What is your personal net worth valued at? And if you lost 2.5% of it would you loose 25.5 billion? That kind of loss could kill a country/nation. Something Just doesn't add up to me....By the way, BP is now begging the US Department Of Defense for help. So now my, and your tax dollars get to be spent on the clean up
Old 05-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex1988 View Post
ya it sucks, but without offshore drilling the middle east would control most of our oil reserves. they could choose to cut us off any time, crippling our entire economy.

...And what makes you think either of these is not the case currently? Because they do, and they could.

Why do you think both the Bush and Obama administrations have been super nice to the Saudis when the vast majority of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi citizens?

Hint hint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
Latest estimates are 210,000 gallons leak each day. Think about it. It will be the single most damaging event to hit the U.S. in recent history. (Economically, environmentally). What I STILL don't understand is we could have 10,000 off shore oil rigs but if there arent enough refineries to produce the gas we need, then why keep drilling? We buy from a cartel that sets the price, domestic oil hasnt given me cheaper gas at the pump, and that is what we are all after, right? So new and dangerous sources of oil are here in the states, then why arent we feeling the releif in the wallet? I know reserch and development, maintaining an infrastructure are expensive but look at the PROFIT statements the oil companys post to their shareholders every quarter. Profit statements are after all expenses are paid....Last I looked BP shares fell 2.5% since4/20/2010 ( the date of the explosion) almost 26 BILLION U.S.Dollars down. What is your personal net worth valued at? And if you lost 2.5% of it would you loose 25.5 billion? That kind of loss could kill a country/nation. Something Just doesn't add up to me....By the way, BP is now begging the US Department Of Defense for help. So now my, and your tax dollars get to be spent on the clean up

You and I? We could hang out.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:56 PM   #13
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Personally, I beleive we have the oil right here, off or on shore. Oil is liquid, oil is also carbon based, oil is everywhere, easy to get to or not. All life forms on earth are carbon based, when it breaks down to it's basic forms, and a given pressure oil(Carbon) deposits form. I think we use foreign oil to keep our country running, day to day but once it runs out we will hold vast reserves of it, because we can afford to buy it now and save it for later. And I beleive if there was no chance of oil from Iraq and Afganastan we would not be in either country. just my opinion
Old 05-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #14
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
BTW , the US gets most of its oil from Canada .
Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post

And canada is part of north ameica
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #16
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
And canada is part of north ameica
Yes , thank you for the geography lesson
Old 05-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes , thank you for the geography lesson

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be a jerk an ignorant ass, I just see a pronlem here, I hate to see whats in store for us.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #18

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm sorry I wasn't trying to be a jerk an ignorant ass, I just see a pronlem here, I hate to see whats in store for us.
No worries , I agree .

OZ
Old 05-03-2010, 04:38 AM   #19
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Personally, I beleive we have the oil right here, off or on shore. Oil is liquid, oil is also carbon based, oil is everywhere, easy to get to or not. All life forms on earth are carbon based, when it breaks down to it's basic forms, and a given pressure oil(Carbon) deposits form. I think we use foreign oil to keep our country running, day to day but once it runs out we will hold vast reserves of it, because we can afford to buy it now and save it for later. And I beleive if there was no chance of oil from Iraq and Afganastan we would not be in either country. just my opinion

As you stated, presence of crude is not the problem vis a vis refined products...refinery capacity is.

BUT, as far as oil reserves are concerned, MANY other countries outstrip the US in how much oil is beneath their particular patch of dirt. I'm not saying we don't have a bunch of it here...we do. They just have more.

The point is, regardless of whether or not we could use our own crude resources, there would be a LONG gap as refining and drilling infrastructure struggled to fill the hole that ceasing imports would leave. In the next few decades, ceasing importation is simply not an option.

Quote:
Depends on how you define "most". If you were to pick a single country, yes, the US imports more oil from Canada than any other nation. However, if you add the middle eastern nations together (i.e. OPEC), we import more from them yearly than from Canada.

Really, any one of the top 5 countries that the US imports oil from is in a position to send our economy into a shitfit if they suddenly cut us off or even raise prices to a high degree. That's all I'm saying.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #20
Another Toyota Enthusiast
toyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyo freak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

toyo freak's Tacoma Gallery
Latest Conspiracy!! MUST READ

check out this link: http://www.eutimes.net/2010/05/us-or...exico-oil-rig/

So the rig is owned by S. Korea and run by BP. This is the latest theory, officials are saying N. Korea torpedoed the rig, crippling South Korea's economy and destroying our ecosystem.