1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OBX Fishing and Wheeling

Discussion in 'South East' started by tarheelfan_08, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Jun 15, 2010 at 5:39 AM
    ::childstoy::

::childstoy:: Hi-Tech Rednek

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.

Tard or not.. I can tell you he fillet'd out just as nice.

2. Jun 15, 2010 at 5:52 AM
    tarheelfan_08

tarheelfan_08 [OP] Carolina Alliance

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 White 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma Short Bed
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    I want to catch me some food down there...but I got no clue how to cut it and skin it and such!

3. Jun 15, 2010 at 1:14 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    Lotta the larger rocks such as yours and bluefish have that look early in the year; in time they will fill out as they fill up on bunker and mullet...

***T-Heel Fan> google "filleting Fish", plenty of info, you'll find it's easy w/ a little practice...go to fishmilitia.com and click on drumdum's war room, lotta good peeps and info on there, based in Frisco. Make sure you ice down yer catch, and keep an eye on yer stuff in parking lots etc; unfortunately a lotta stuff has been lifted(gear/coolers) the past few of years along the lower Banks from vehicles/porches etc, especially at night, so do take precautions...

4. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:11 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Chrome Grill, Chrome accessories(door handles and mirror covers), LEER Super White Cover, Mirrors with Turn Signals, Window Vent Visors, Step Rails, WeatherTech Digital Floor Mats, Mini Maglight Holder, Chrome Bull Bar
    Anymore info guys??

5. Jun 16, 2010 at 9:18 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, Tint, Stubby Ant., Debadged, Weathertech Mats, Grillcraft... Currently collecting donations for a New Tires Fund.
    Another word of advice is that the Russian chicks that work at the supermarkets are hot as hell! :D

Something about a girl with an accent... Gets me everytime.

Other then that the only place we ate out at the whole time there was that "Route 12" place in Corolla. Seafood there was great!

6. Jun 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Sweet, I will have to check it out when my gf is a the beach!!!

7. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    deepseadiver

deepseadiver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    william
    Norfolk, VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 prerunner
    Borla Exhaust Debadged AFE Pro Dry S Drop in
    just got back from Corolla. it was awesome. i went offshore though about 10 miles and we were catching huge Amberjack. when the tide goes out on the beach it leaves these huge puddle of saltwater on the beach. i saw people driving thier trucks through them. seems to me like a bad idea to drive trough deep puddles of saltwater.

8. Jun 16, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southeast, PA
    Vehicle:
    Black 2010 TRD Sport
    Yeah prolly not recommended... I washed mine down pretty good when I got home just from driving through the sand on the beach and all.

9. Jun 16, 2010 at 1:16 PM
    XSB41

XSB41 If I had a hammer...

Member:
    First Name:
    Rik
    Va.
    Vehicle:
    2010 SR5 4X4
    hitch haul, bed extender, bed mat, behind seat gun rack, roof rack
    I always hose/wipe down my reels/rods daily if possible, and before returning home, I'll spray the vehicle off (especially underneath) at a car wash; if there more than a week, more often. I use a sprinkler underneath the truck when I get home, moving it periodically from front to back. NOT a good idea to puddle slosh at low tide, although I've had to in the past on an incoming tide because I tried to fish up until the last possible second:rolleyes:. A small camp trailer broom or long handled brush is great for knocking sand off yer feet upon entering yer truck, and since we stay out from before sun up to after dark for the most part, a small trash can lined porta potty/bucket and a tarp or insta-blind for privacy is great if one needs to drop a deuce, etc.

10. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:14 PM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I'll be in OBX from 7Aug - 14Aug. Anyone interested in going out fishing? I can't see myself spending $1600 for a charter boat all by myself.

11. Jun 16, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    trdtaco10

trdtaco10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    UWS toolbox, window tint, Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, black 16" TRD FJ wheels, 14" Shorty Antenna, Weathertech all weather floor liners, Satoshi Grill Mod, Rear leaf TSB, OME 885x's, Desert Racing UCAs, Icon 3 leaf AAL
    Like they said before...air down your tires to around 20-25 psi. Me and my family go every year to the OBX and go fishing out at the point at Buxton and the first year we went we got stuck in a Tahoe with A/T on it. We aired down and can go almost anywhere out there in 2wd. Going again this year the first week in August when the spanish and blues are running and I'm taking my new tacoma out for a test drive on the beach. If your looking for flounder go to the bottom of hattaras island on the sound side. Otherwise go to the point if your down that way at all.

12. Jun 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    trdtaco10

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    UWS toolbox, window tint, Bilstein 5100s on all four corners, black 16" TRD FJ wheels, 14" Shorty Antenna, Weathertech all weather floor liners, Satoshi Grill Mod, Rear leaf TSB, OME 885x's, Desert Racing UCAs, Icon 3 leaf AAL
    Oh yea! Can't beat it! 6 AM every morning the week we're there!:D

13. Jun 18, 2010 at 7:52 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    mmm I love doughnuts

14. Jun 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Yea you said doughnut shop

15. Jun 22, 2010 at 8:49 AM
    Namyo

Namyo -

Member:
    Used to be a HI point angler....Birds what?

16. Jun 24, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Should I even take air out of my tires before driving on the beach or should I just go on out there and if I get stuck then deflate to 20 or 25 psi. I got some large rugged tires that I think will be great for the sound! At the point can I drive out?? And where are some places I can drive out and fish on the sound...seems like I remember seeing a lot of people with their trucks driving there!

17. Jun 24, 2010 at 7:56 AM
    trdtaco10

Member:
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD OR 4X4
    I always just go ahead and deflate the tires before I go on the beach and fill them back up at Red Drum right after I get off the point. Its free air. You will see it as you turn to go to the point. And yes you can drive out on the point just watch the tide and don't get to close to the water. I have seen a few trucks almost get washed away because they parked too close to the water when the tide came in. If you want to go fishing on the sound, there is a great place at the bottom of Hattaras Island. If you go pas the ferry landing and just keep going to the end or make I think the last right hand turn, you can fish in the sound. Its a great spot for flounder and some blues.

18. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:

Do you have any directions to the point for me?? I will be staying in Rodanthe and I am unsure how to get to the point and get to a spot where I can drive out and fish!

19. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:09 PM
    tarheelfan_08

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    Also pictures of the point would be cool!

20. Jun 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    I'm gonna be up the the week after next 3rd-10th on vacation. If anyone is gonna be up there and wants to go fishing lemme know. I'm gonna bring my rod and stuff. I'm gonna be staying up in corolla in whalehead.

Products Discussed in

To Top