1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3rd Official Utah Meet and Greet/Trail Run Pictures

Discussion in 'South West' started by mgage10, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Aug 31, 2010 at 8:40 AM
    Yota_dvl

Yota_dvl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Utah
    Vehicle:
    03' Ext cab 4x4
    SAS KIT - trail-gear 5" lift alcan springs greasable shackels gears front 410 rear 411 Kicker subs 3,000 mile drive to Alaska, 3,000 back "Mod" rear diff breather
    So when is next meet !?!? work is hard for me to get off we can worry about where later but for now what saturaday should I ask off ?

...even if we dont go on a run... we could all get together do a lunch and fill the parking lot with tacoma's :cool: ...and if want go shooting after or something simple like that???

2. Aug 31, 2010 at 7:04 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    I'm down with a get together and go shooting. Does anybody have a favorite places to go shooting? I usually go out to Stansbury Island.

3. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Personally, for the first time around others with firearms, I'd really prefer some place thats a bit more supervised than just out in the desert. Not that I dont trust people and such, but I honestly dont know what types of experience, habits, and how safe everyone is around firearms. I just dont want to take the risk and I'm sure first timers will feel more comfortable at a real range as well.

That being said, target shooting is fun and all, but really, thats pretty much a solo activity. Granted you can compare targets and maybe even bring out a dueling tree, but it really isn't something that is get together friendly for a semi-large group. While I'm more than happy to introduce a new shooter to firearms and will let pretty much anyone shoot a few shots, I'm really not willing to bring out my firearms and ammo for someone that wants to see how quickly they can blow through a mag. Ammo is just too expensive for that. If this is the type of thing people want to do, I'll bring out my 10/22 and buckmark, but thats about it.

Trap on the other hand is much more group friendly. There are 5 locations to shoot at, so it really promotes a much more group friendly environment. If you get someone to manually pull the birds, you really dont have to worry all that much about talking between shots as long as no one is uber competitive about it. Trap is also going to end up costing less overall as well ($6 per 25 clays at Lee Kay (I think-been a while), plus $20-25 for 100 shells at walmart). I doubt that anyone will want to shoot more than 2 rounds of trap (25 clays/round), so 2 people could split the price of a box pretty easy. (12 gauge, #8 shot, 1-1/8 oz). I have 3 shotguns I can bring of 3 completely different styles.

So, if I had a preference, I'd say Lee Kay for the first time, as they have tons of room on the Trap side. They are also close to many restaurants, going from the low end like del taco, 5 guys, chadders, to some better quality places like Chilis, or my favorite around there, the Coppercreek Bar.

4. Aug 31, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    mgage10

mgage10 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 White Tacoma TRD Sport Long Bed 4x4
    Bilstein 5100s with Add-A-Leaf 18x9 XD Addicts on 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers G2 TRD Skid Plate Gray Husky Liners Venture Shield Clear Bra TRD Sport Pedals Seat Belt Alarm Disabled LED Map Lights (Cool White) LED Dome Light (Cool White) LED License Plate Lights (Cool White) White Engine Cover White Toyota FJ Grill Badge Viper 2 Way Alarm System Debadged Tailgate Fog Light Anytime Mod Window Tint Black Mesh Upper Grillcraft Black Mesh Lower Grillcraft Black Mesh Grillcraft Triangles Raven Speed Antenna AFE Stage 2 Pro-Dry S Intake Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
    X2!!!!

Well said as usual Greg:D

5. Sep 3, 2010 at 6:19 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    Well guys I get my truck back today it has been at the shop since tuesday waiting on lower control arm bushings to finnish my 6 inch lift so ill be able to come out now.. but shooting sounds like a great time to me i have never been to a meet so, is it the last weekend of the month or what?

6. Sep 3, 2010 at 7:40 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Well, no one has made any other suggestion, so I'm planning for the last Saturday of the month. (25th)

No one has really decided where to go at this point either though. Guess we could just take it easy and go to the range. No real harm in it, although we only have 1 or 2 trails in the elevation points left before they close down for 6 months.

7. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Beast

Beast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Slc,Utah
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    grillcraft, tinted windows, HID's, Magnaflow exhaust, tsb, Icon ext. coilovers,camburg uca's, oem bedmat, 5100s in rear, wheelers aal, 275/65R18 duratracs, 18x9 kmc monsters
    i should be good for the end of the month and shooting sounds like a great idea!:D

8. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM
    bowzerdoo77

bowzerdoo77 U.S.M.C.

Member:
    North Ogden Utah
    Vehicle:
    1997 REG CAB 4x4
    None
    yep count me in just say when and what and ill be there

9. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:33 AM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
  10. Oct 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
  11. Nov 25, 2010 at 8:36 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
  12. Aug 8, 2011 at 11:57 PM
    sixstringsteve

sixstringsteve Well-Known Member

Member:
    Late post, but it looks like you guys have had some killer trips. Man, I love Forest Lake, I hope it stays open to 4x4s for a long long time.

I'm not trying to start a fight or offend anyone, just trying to give a friendly reminder. This:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is not cool. It isn't helping the offroad community. It's not treading lightly, and it's not responsible trail use. It was probably a lot of fun, but it gives all wheelers a bad name.

I remember the first time I went to Forest Lake and I didn't know what was legal and what wasn't. Fortunately, our trail leader did, and he explained the importance of staying on the trail, and he pointed out that the muddy shorelines were not part of the trail.

Unfortunately our number of legal trails to wheel is getting smaller every year. Environmental groups try to make the case that we're irresponsible and that our impact on the environment it too great. The Forest Service doesn't have the time or the manpower to police the trails, so it's often easier to just close a trail to all 4x4's than to police it. We need to make sure we're staying on the trail, treading lightly, picking up trash, keeping good relationships with the land managers and land owners, and educating other wheelers about the importance of proper trail use. It's tough when we have to fight the environmentalists to keep our access to our trails, and it's even tougher when other wheelers give them reasons to think we're not taking care of our trails. I understand you weren't driving through the middle of the lake, but even these mud holes are considered "off the trail" and are illegal, hence the signs and all the logs out there surrounding the mud holes.

Once again, not trying to start a fight or call anyone out. I just wanted to offer a friendly reminder and educate those who may think this is really no big deal. It looks like you guys had a great time and you organize some great runs. Just a friendly reminder to tread lightly and stay on the trail so we can keep our few remaining trails open for a long time to come. Keep on wheeling. I look forward to more fun trip reports.

13. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:14 AM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I wish I could see the pics that you think are "not cool". (pics not pulling up)

I would consider our group very trail friendly we don't go off trails and make a point of leaving an area better than we found it.

Welcome to TW, a friendly trail edicate is always a welcome reminder.

14. Aug 9, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    sixstringsteve

Member:
    Thanks Jaso, I hope it came across as a friendly reminder, that was the intention.

I'll try hosting the pics myself, that may make 'em visible. The first pic is a guy buried up to his rockers in a mud hole up at the top of the lake, off the trail:
    gedc0074_478e593c90773875887dffe9a71067efd0988425.jpg

The second pic is someone's truck behind a "no motor vehicles" sign.
    gedc0090%252520%2525281%252529_cd7aba3b95c9496e25a5c4842d93eca2b3a25148.jpg

It sounds like a great group of guys. I may join ya sometime, although I sold my taco last year after it got in a wreck.

15. Aug 9, 2011 at 7:48 AM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I'm sorry to hear about your truck. I hope you can get another ride and join us on another meet.

The pics don't do tell the full story. The mud hole was a long ways from the lake and the pic with the sign was next to a rock that the driver was using to try and straighten out a bent factory skid that was hanging really low and dragging on the ground. Other than bending the front skid next to the sign (which was a long ways from the lake) no trucks drove within probably 50 yards of the lake.

No offense was taken from your comments, many don't know about proper trail edicate and need to be reminded so that our remaining trails stay open.

16. Aug 9, 2011 at 8:08 AM
    sixstringsteve

Member:
    I have a ride, it's just not a tacoma. It's a '94 pickup, sas, on 35's, which I like just as much as my old tacoma. I'd love to tag along if you guys don't mind your tacoma's older brother tagging along.

If the sign had read "stay at least 50 feet from the lake" then everyone would have been in the clear. However, the sign doesn't say that. It says "please stay on existing roads and trails." I don't know the context behind the pictures, but if they show people off the trail, it concerns me. It also doesn't say "no motorized vehicles unless you need to straighten out a skidplate." Taking a picture behind a "no motorized vehicles" sign, for whatever reason, does not make our 4x4 community look good.

I'm glad to hear that everyone stayed out of the lake. We need to do more than stay out of the lake. We need to stay on the trail that goes around the lake and stay out of the mud puddles. By stay on the trail, I mean keep our tires on the 10' wide dirt road that goes around the lake. In the muddy pic you can see the logs they placed around the mud, indicating that they don't want people playing in the mud there. That's what they mean by "please stay on existing roads and trails." If a ranger were to see that scenehe would be issuing citations without question.

I don't want to be the trail nazi, just trying to educate. It's beautiful up there, and it sounds like most everyone was trying to leave as little impact as possible. Hopefully a few people have learned that straying from the trail harms our chances for keeping trails open.

17. Aug 9, 2011 at 9:13 AM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    ^^^ Agreed. I cant stand the douche bags that go off the trails especially if there are signs posted up everywhere not too. Like you guys said, just obey the rules so the trails remain open and dont screw it up for everyone else!!

18. Aug 9, 2011 at 9:21 AM
    sixstringsteve

Member:
    I'll be planning a camping trip up Mineral Basin in a few weeks. I'll keep you guys posted if you want to join.

19. Aug 9, 2011 at 10:33 AM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road

Products Discussed in

To Top