Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Utah Meet & Greet #5 October 23rd-24th ("Official")

Old 10-14-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Utah Meet & Greet #5 October 23rd-24th ("Official")

Thank you to everyone who showed up! I had a great time, and I hope you did too.

Here are some of the pics I took!

This one was taking the previous weekend.. I couldn't be out done by Danny/Jason

And finally, a super easy section of Milk Maid. I had plenty of time to set up the camera/tripod while I waited for the others to get through the tricky sections... sadly I didn't get any footage of said tricky sections.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siQ6WqVGyt8

Hello all!

Please excuse the short notice, but we need to make something happen before the end of the season!

The plan: Meet up at Cabela's (paste into Google Maps: 40.436115,-111.888747) at 11am on Saturday, October 23rd. See attached picture for the specific meeting place (same spot as the #4 meet/greet).

Latitude/longitude: 40.436115,-111.888747

We will then chat for a bit while we wait for everyone to arrive, and decide on the next course of action. If desired, we could grab a meal before getting underway.

The freshly updated plan: Meet at Cabela's at 11am sharp, wait for everyone to arrive, then head to American Fork Canyon; ($6 entry for a 3 day pass cheapest offered, exact cash preferred, but not required). We will then regroup at the Tibble Fork Reservoir parking lot, then head directly to Silver Lake, and ultimately end up at the the split between Major Evans Gulch, and Milk Maid Canyon trail. We will be taking the Major Evans Gulch trail; there is a fun hill to play around on/practice on before the start of Major Evans Gulch, as well as a large/fun rock, on which to take some quality flexing shots.

Then to Major Evans Gulch, which starts with one slightly tight spot, easily maneuvered with [confidence, or:] guidance by myself or Manlaan (or anyone else who feels confident at guiding). After 1/2 a mile or so, there is one tight switchback, that will require a single reverse/reposition maneuver to make the turn comfortably; short wheelbase vehicles may not require such a maneuver at all, easy as it is. The rest of the Major Evans Gulch trail is quite easy, with a slight inclines which are best taken at slower speeds, as they include bumps, (and, of course, very beautiful views); overall, the trail is good fun, with very easy terrain (terrain that provided absolutely no challenge to my stock Taco).
The turn around spot at the top is small, so we will have to split up into groups of 3-4 to get to the top (the turn around spot is about 1/4 of a mile before the "waiting point"). If the weather is bad, or it is snowing at these altitudes, groups of 2 (maximum) at the turn around point might be advisable, for safety reasons, as the turn around point isn't very large. We then take pics, socialize, decide on our next move, and head back down towards Tibble Fork Reservoir.
The Mineral Basin area has many fun areas, with some small trails leading off from the main trail. Some of this area was explored during previous Meet 'n Greets, but there is always more to be explored!

Dinner: In the evening, dinner at The Bohemian (menu) in the Sandy area? Excellent food, and good beer!

List of attendees for the meet and greet
1. JanBoothius (Jan, Saturday and Sunday, dog, possibly a friend)
2. mj918 (Meg)
3. WW_FIREFIGHTER (Danny, Saturday only)
4. Manlaan (Greg, Saturday and/or Sunday)
5. JasoTaco (Saturday)
6. 3rdTACOMA (Brad, Saturday... possibly Sunday)
7. Subfrozen
8. Shawneily (Shawn + lady friend)
9. mgage10 (Meet 'n Greet only)

Maybe's
1. gobias
2. nolanspawn
3. Beast (Mark)
4. WeezyX
5. metric310 (+ girlfriend)

We are open to any and all suggestions. Please let me know if you would like to be added to either list.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Haha, thats the same exact spot we met for the last meet I was at!! You can count me in brotha!! Just for Saturday though.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Haha, thats the same exact spot we met for the last meet I was at!! You can count me in brotha!! Just for Saturday though.
Sounds good, see you then!

PS: You can thank Manlaan for the meeting spot, I take no credit!
Old 10-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBoothius View Post
Sounds good man, see you then!

PS: You can thank Manlaan for the meeting spot, I take no credit!
Haha sounds good!! Oh and its (WW_FIREFIGHTER) not WW-FIREFIGHTER, haha.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
Oh and its (WW_FIREFIGHTER) not WW-FIREFIGHTER, haha.
Righto, my mistake, fixed!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Righto, my mistake, fixed!
there u go!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Count me in as a maybe. Been wanting to check out AF Canyon for a while. Dunno for sure yet if I'll have that weekend open.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobias View Post
Count me in as a maybe. Been wanting to check out AF Canyon for a while. Dunno for sure yet if I'll have that weekend open.
Done.

American Fork is well worth it. The scenery in general is spectacular, and the trails are lots of fun (however I have only done the Forrest Lake trail).

I hope you can make it!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I did not already have so much going on that weekend, I would totally drive up there...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
I wish I did not already have so much going on that weekend, I would totally drive up there...
There is always the next weekend, in Moab.. if you can make it? It's closer to you too (I think), Arizona must be quite a way from Salt Lake City?! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...moab-trip.html
Old 10-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Air Force: Weapons Director
nolanspawn's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to nolanspawn
Dang. If I still had the Tacoma I would be trail ready. Unfortunately I am still stock suspension and very stock tires on my Tundra.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolanspawn View Post
Dang. If I still had the Tacoma I would be trail ready. Unfortunately I am still stock suspension and very stock tires on my Tundra.
My Tacoma is fully stock (tires and all), and it did quite well on some of the more challenging trails around here.... although I guess the additional weight of the Tundra does change things.

You could probably tag along anyhow.. After Manlaan and I scout some trails, I will update the thread with the decision, and maybe you will decide it is doable, if you wanted to come join the fun!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There is always the next weekend, in Moab.. if you can make it? It's closer to you too (I think), Arizona must be quite a way from Salt Lake City?! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sou...moab-trip.html
Yes, Salt Lake City would be a pretty good trip. I love Utah though, so it would be worth it. Considered the Moad trip but fairly busy the week before. We shall see...
Old 10-14-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
You can count me in for Saturday and/or Sunday, whatever we choose. Camping, well, not so much when I have a nice warm house not 20 min away. Never been to the Bohemian, so I could join for dinner as well.

If we end up doing Little Moab, I'm planning on taking things on the conservative side since I've never been there and dont have experience with rough stuff.

Quote:
You'll be just fine for the main trails. My hopes is that we can find trails that are 4x4 recommended, but still doable with those that have 2wd (with maybe a little help). I'm planning for worst case would be pin stripes.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:47 PM   #15
Work In Progress
nolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to beholdnolanspawn is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
My Tacoma is fully stock (tires and all), and it did quite well on some of the more challenging trails around here.... although I guess the additional weight of the Tundra changes things.

You could probably tag along anyhow.. After Manlaan and I scout some trails, I will update the thread, and maybe you will decide it is doable, if you wanted to come join the fun!
Really my only issue is the tires. The stock baseline tires are nowhere near an offroad tire.
Old 10-15-2010, 12:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Really my only issue is the tires. The stock baseline tires are nowhere near an offroad tire.
Depending on the trail and weather conditions, you still may be able to get away with said tires.

Manlaan and I will keep you updated.

-Jan
Old 10-15-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
Work In Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
Count me in for Saturday.
Ok then you can count me as a maybe.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #19
Lieutenant Dan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
Count me in for Saturday.
Sweet!
Old 10-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #20
mj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmj918 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Meg
mj918's Tacoma Gallery
I see Ive been added! Thanks, be there for sure. Could I get those coordinates again?

Edit: Sorry, for some reason I didnt see the first post . . .I dont know how I missed it, but I did. Nevermind on coordinates/directions!