1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Utah - How much risk are you willing to take on a trail?

Discussion in 'South West' started by Manlaan, Oct 18, 2010.

?

How difficult?

Poll closed Nov 17, 2010.
  1. Paved - No chance of any damage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Maintained Dirt - No chance of damage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rough Dirt - No dmg, but rough

16.1%
  4. Narrow Dirt - chance of pin striping

4.6%
  5. Rock - Small (up to 6") - low risk for 31" tires

12.6%
  6. Rock - Medium (up to 12") - medium risk for 31" tires

20.7%
  7. Rock - Large (12"+) - high risk of dmg

13.8%
  8. I'm not from Utah

32.2%
  1. Oct 19, 2010 at 8:06 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.

It sure was and your welcome to join us on the next run the NorCal BS Thread has talks of are runs we need more guys on this thread it's kinda sad how little us NorCal guys organize runs.

2. Oct 19, 2010 at 10:23 AM
    3rdTACOMA

3rdTACOMA Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD off road
    None... Yet.
    My vote was for the small rocks. I dont mind things like pinstripes and so on. I would be will in to give larger rocks a try but since I'm stock and my truck is a primary transportation I dont want too go overboard.

3. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:08 AM
    gobias

gobias as in Gobias some coffee

Member:
    Vehicle:
    02 Dbl TRD
    I voted narrow dirt. I already have a few redneck pinstripes on my truck so I couldn't care less about getting more of 'em. Being a Ramen-eating college student I can't exactly spend money on repairs if I f*** my truck up in the process though. Small rocks, like the Squaw Peak trail is fine.

4. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    merrit

merrit Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    seriously depussified oc to
    give medium or large rocks please

5. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    Exactly. I realize that some people cant help but to vote on something thats irrelevant to them, but I made the poll public so we can use it more as a person A wants to do this and person B doesn't want to do that type of thing and less about 10 people want to do this and 10 dont.

I also realize that people tend to vote a little higher than they're willing to do, specially looking at the amount of Medium Rock votes. I would be interested in knowing how many of those votes change after the first set of obstacles. (But then again, Jan did impress by attempting Mineral Basin with his rig (I would consider that a large rock for his current setup), and still voting for medium rock after the panel hit and losing his front mud flaps.)

Well, this trail run isn't mine, so the ultimate decision comes down to Jan and what he wants to do, but I'll give it a read.

6. Oct 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    I put medium rocks, because that is what I can currently attempt without huge risks, or getting stuck. Mineral Basin dinged my truck, and I kept going until I got partially stuck/unable to continue, and realized it was just out of my league, until I get a lift, some sliders, etc.
    Once my rig is properly set up, I will certainly attempt harder trails.

That said, I will certainly not opt out of a trail until I can see it in person, and make a decision based on the facts as I know them, instead of what I have heard. Forest Lake was said to be hard, but it looked doable, and I was SO glad I didn't get cold feet, after I completed it successfully without any damage or close calls.

Greg, I will send you a PM tonight, and get the trail names, and we can chat about this... I would certainly like your input before making the decisions!

7. Oct 19, 2010 at 11:39 PM
    TDOGGY

TDOGGY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Salt Lake, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma
    Grill color matched, shifter ball, shell, 5100's all the way around.....
    Not to sound like a party pooper here but if your not up to the risk keep it on the pavement. Ive tackled some impressive obstacles in the west desert, and in Moab with a stock tacoma. Havent got any damage so to speak yet, out of the box the truck does really well. I say the Utahns need to have a met here and we will seperate who wants to dump a bunch of money in their trucks and keep em on the pavement versus those of us that bought the truck to use it.

8. Oct 20, 2010 at 2:24 PM
    JanBoothius

JanBoothius Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jan (Pronounced Yon)
    Upstate New York
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD OR DCSB 6 speed
    Heavy stuff big tires drives like hell
    Amen!

9. Oct 20, 2010 at 2:45 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids

Pics or it never happened.

10. Oct 20, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Look in my gallery. You'll see stock to stockish Tacomas doing difficult, Moabish terrain with great success. Better yet, go to the photo gallery thread I linked in an earlier post (#17). That way you can see other's pictures of the trip as well.

Stock Tacomas are quite capable if you're willing to scuff your front and rear bumpers.

For the record, I'm pretty sure no body damage happened on that trip. The long bed may have slightly tweaked his bumper though.

Products Discussed in

To Top