Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Utah Skiing/Snowboarding Meet *Feeler*

Old 11-13-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Name: Jan (Pronounced Yan)
JanBoothius's Tacoma Gallery
Utah Skiing/Snowboarding Meet *Feeler*

Hey everyone,

I would like to get an idea of who might be interested in a ski/board meet in Utah. I was thinking one of the weekends in early December (or late November). Let me know when works for you?

I was thinking Snowbird would be the best option, as they offer the best terrain and snow (usually the lightest powder/most snow due to high altitude, in comparison with other Resorts in the area).
However, if there are no boarders, I would prefer Alta, as I used to work there, and know the mountain like the back of my hand. Alta is also a little cheaper, but if we have snowboarders in the group, Alta would be out of the question.

I did some hiking/skiing (the lift's aren't open yet) at Alta on Thursday, and the snow was superb. If anyone is feeling athletic, and has time off during the week, I will probably be going again a few times. The nice thing about pre-season hiking at Alta, is that snowboarding is allowed.

Here are some pics from Thursday!

It was bright... thus the strange expression

Old 11-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #2
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
I have yet to ride Snowbird...but if the timing is right I'll would love to drive out from Vegas to meet up with you guys... I got a few friends that live in SLC and Park City...
Old 11-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
I have not been to Alta/Snowbird yet. I'd be completely up for a ski meet, but I'll be bringing the Subaru unless I get snow tires for my truck. I normally ski at Snowbasin, Powder Mtn. or Beaver Mtn.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
SmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shedSmilingMark is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
SmilingMark's Tacoma Gallery
Snowbasin. Just a tad further north, less crowds, less glitz, full on vert.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #6
T0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shedT0LLPHR33 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T0LLPHR33's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to T0LLPHR33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Rufus View Post
I have not been to Alta/Snowbird yet. I'd be completely up for a ski meet, but I'll be bringing the Subaru unless I get snow tires for my truck. I normally ski at Snowbasin, Powder Mtn. or Beaver Mtn.
you don't need snow tires for the TACO...I ran the OEM Rugged Terrains on my TACO for about 4 1/2 years in heavy snow weather and never had a problem...
Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 AM   #7
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
I'm game if you guys want to board later in December I'll be in Heber for Christmas
Old 11-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #8
Voodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really niceVoodoo Rufus is just really nice

Name: Jason
Voodoo Rufus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0LLPHR33 View Post
you don't need snow tires for the TACO...I ran the OEM Rugged Terrains on my TACO for about 4 1/2 years in heavy snow weather and never had a problem...
Too late, just bought them two nights ago. I've had snow tires for two seasons on my Subaru and wouldn't trade them for any all season.
Old 11-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #9
JanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to beholdJanBoothius is a splendid one to behold

Hey everyone, thanks for the interest, sorry I have been MIA!

So, here's the scoop for Sunday, the 28th of November!
Quote:
Saturday Night: Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 17. South wind between 16 and 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow. High near 21. Northwest wind between 9 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.
I will be at Alta all day on Sunday, and if anyone would like to join me, please do.

Anyhow, I know Sunday probably won't work for our LDS population, but anyone and everyone is welcome!

Let me know if you would like to come along, and I will PM you my contact info.

Happy trails!

-Jan
Old 11-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #10

UPDATE!

Quote:
Tonight: Snow. Low around 13. Wind chill values as low as zero. South wind between 11 and 17 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow. Steady temperature around 17. Wind chill values as low as -2. West southwest wind between 9 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Sunday Night: Snow. Low around 5. Wind chill values as low as -12. West wind between 11 and 21 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Monday: Snow likely. Partly sunny, with a high near 17. Northwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.
If there are any powder hounds out there, it's time to crawl out of the woodwork. The weather forecast leads me to believe that Sunday and Monday are going to be very good days to hit the slopes!

Anyone? I will be at Alta all day Sunday, and probably Monday morning as well. Call/text me @ two zero three - seven five one - three four eight six if you decide to make it up there at the last minute, or you want to make meetings plans etc!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:13 AM   #11

You're missing out, today is going to be pretty epic!
Old 11-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #12
-
Namyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shedNamyo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Namyo's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #13

Please excuse the terrible cellphone picture... but here is a shot taken earlier in the day... It kept snowing, and only got better!
Oh, and although most mainstream skiiers would balk at the thought of riding a slow-speed double chairlift... well, that's the reason its one of the best lifts on the mountain .

SO, who is joining me tomorrow morning bright and early at Alta? You know you want to.

The trees are calling. So are the steeps. And the powder.