Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

UTAH (and Surrounding Areas) BS Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #2001
Master Blaster
smkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
smkd13's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoLovR View Post
Well damn I am going to be welding sliders on my truck in Idaho that day. Damn the horrible timing lol
Old 04-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #2002
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manlaan View Post
tcBob used to give these out if you asked him really nicely. Its been a long while, so not sure if he still does. Cant hurt to ask.
Tcbob doesn't do it anymore if you ask him he's not going to do it.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:51 AM   #2003
Greenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shedGreenbergler is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Greenbergler's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
Yeah he'll do it. You just gotta bug him about it. He gave me two a few months ago
Old 04-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #2004
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Okay, getting closer to the August 'Bryce trip' and with mostly hiking trails and shuttle bus to viewpoints from what I have seen, the wife is saying no point in spending the gas $$$ to drive the Tacoma there from San Diego if there isn't any four wheeling roads nearby! Her Corolla gets 35 mpg vs. my Tacoma's 18 mpg highway. Having the XM satellite radio isn't enough reason to pay fro twice the gasoline consumed. I was really hoping for some off roading, but from what I have seen in the links, Bryce isn't the place for that, and we don't want to drive two hours to get to a place that has some scenic 4WD dirt roads.

If anyone has some additional data on dirt roads, close to Bryce, I do appreciate it. If I missed something in the earlier links a couple of you posted, I apologize.

So have you been to Zion or Moab? Personally I would see those two before Bryce. But Bryce is a very beautiful place if you have not been.

I really think the Bryce area is a lot more a hiking area then a wheeling area.

Save the gas for your next trip to Moab.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #2005
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It really depends how rough you want to get.

Just north of Kanab, theres a handful of trails rated between 5-6 on average. Probably a bit harder than you want to do though.
Hog Canyon
Radio Tower
Toms Canyon
Savage Loop
Savage Point
Pinnacle - Big Hill
John R Flat
And many more as you get closer to St. George

If you aren't planning on being that far south,
Mammoth Cave - Unknown
Skutumpah Rd, but its a dirt road. 1/10
Cottonwood Canyon Rd 2/10

Then there's also a bunch of trails north east of Bryce in the Dixie National Forest.
Powell Point - 3/10
Barney Top - 5/10
And the list just grows the closer to Moab you get.

Quite a few of the trails I listed are mapped out at http://offroadinghome.djmed.net/index.htm
http://www.treknow.com/utah/backroads/southwest

I do have quite the collection of trails, but its really not in a format I can easily give the whole thing (its about 500mb compressed using Garmin BaseCamp, with lots of attachments, etc of the sources of the trails). If you want more details on anything, I'll be happy to give you what I have on them.
Thank you... yes, I like rough/ steep... low range four wheeling to get to awesome places. The second link didn't work, fyi. I do appreciate the ideas!

My kind of four wheeling:
Old 04-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #2006
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post
So have you been to Zion or Moab? Personally I would see those two before Bryce. But Bryce is a very beautiful place if you have not been.

We are camping with the in-laws there, so it wasn't my choice of where to go camping in Utah They have a motorhome, and we will be tent camping next to them in the big campground there. I was hoping for some fun/ interesting dirt roads in the area to go for a drive on... hearing so many things about Utah four wheeling.. I guess that is mostly at Moab, which is what, 2 hours from Bryce?

I will keep reading the ideas you guys have, and appreciate any more... like a map link so I can get my bearings. I have only driven through Utah going to Yellowstone, and visited by brother in Sandy. That Mayan Experience restaurant was a great show...
Old 04-24-2013, 08:16 AM   #2007
FirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud of

Name: Marc
FirstTracks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utard View Post

I personally agree. As a guy who prefers a wilderness experience I was very disappointed with the overly developed feel of Bryce:
http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...p=65653#p65653

That link encompasses a few Southern Utah destinations that we hit to and from joining a friend at Lake Powell to see an annular solar eclipse a year ago - Bryce is toward the end of the post.

As mentioned in that link I get the whole National Park thing. It brings nature to the masses. But in some National Parks - Canyonlands in particular comes to mind - you can really disappear for days on end. Bryce, on the other hand felt like the hiking trails were literally paved for ease of access. I was very let down. It's a beautiful place but this state is full of equally stunning locales without the tour buses. I've now seen it but I don't see myself ever having the desire to go back.

As long as I'm posting to this thread I might as well introduce myself as a new Utah member. I already did so in the new member forum but this is a bit more specific. I just picked up a 2007 Taco (4.0L AC 6sp 53k miles) and joined up to learn more about my new (to me) truck.

Years ago I had a 1993 Hilux as well. I loved that thing, regretted replacing it since the day I did so, and am so happy to now have the Tacoma.

I'm a New England transplant who has been in Utah for 8 years now. Came for the skiing, stayed for the summers. Once ski season is done (I ski 75-100 days per season, predominately at Alta) I enjoy hiking, backpacking, climbing, kayak touring, camping, and biking, both mountain and road. I live in East Millcreek.

Hello!
Old 04-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #2008
FirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud ofFirstTracks has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
That Mayan Experience restaurant was a great show...
And it no longer exists.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 PM   #2009

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstTracks View Post
And it no longer exists.
Yah, I heard that... maybe if they sold real drinks and real beer, us gentiles would go back more... The atmosphere and show was great.

Welcome to TW, and thank you for your input to my quetions. Bryce wasn't my choice, as I said... I am just hoping there is some off roading within an hour or less drive from it? Otherwise, I am stuck in the campground watching my wife and her mom play this crazy card game with like 5 or 6 decks of cards (Hand and Foot) all day!

I may just hike all day and lose some weight!
Old 04-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #2010
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
tcBob used to give these out if you asked him really nicely. Its been a long while, so not sure if he still does. Cant hurt to ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TROKITA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenbergler View Post
Yeah he'll do it. You just gotta bug him about it. He gave me two a few months ago
I think not bugging him worked a little better got a PM from bob yesterday
Haha im pumped to rep TW on my tacoma
Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #2012

One step closer to desert season: I picked up the truck canopy today.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #2014
Master Blaster
smkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsmkd13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
smkd13's Tacoma Gallery
Not a clue lol
Old 04-29-2013, 06:31 PM   #2015

I'm in the process actually of transferring title on a 2003 Saab 9-3 to a salvage yard after the transmission crapped the bed. Butcher's Auto Wrecking gave be the top bid and they were by far the most personable outfit of the bunch.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
What did they pay? 180? 200 a ton?
$475 if they towed, $510 if we got it there. Bids from everyone I called ranged from $350-475.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #2018
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
$475 if they towed, $510 if we got it there. Bids from everyone I called ranged from $350-475.
Wait salvage yards as in vehicles to be crushed?

That seems like a lot.

I'm hopefuly taking parts off a salvaged vehicle, was in a bad crash, and scraping it
Old 04-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
Wait salvage yards as in vehicles to be crushed?

That seems like a lot.

I'm hopefuly taking parts off a salvaged vehicle, was in a bad crash, and scraping it
I sold mine for parts as I didn't feel like dealing with salvaging parts on my own.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:09 AM   #2020
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I sold mine for parts as I didn't feel like dealing with salvaging parts on my own.
I'm only salvaging it because I want some of the parts lol. After I have stripped what I need I want to try and make as much back as I can

Products Discussed in this Thread