Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Utah enforcement of Mudflaps laws?

Old 04-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Utah enforcement of Mudflaps laws?

Hey guys, I took my mudflaps off when I lifted 3" to clear my 285/70R17 tires.

I'm going to Utah, leaving late next week for the Moab Easter Jeep Safari.

How big an enforcement issue is that going to be for me? Are there going to be cops around looking for trucks with equipment violations and writing tickets during the week?

Or is it going to be OK as long as I keep my driving slow and sedate like the old-man that I am?

I bought some aftermarket flat rubber mudflaps I had planned to put on - but it turns out that I still won't have clearance if I screw them into the fenderwells. I'd need to fab up some kind of bracket to mount them outside the wheelwells. That's going to end up being a real firedrill if I need to get it done by next week.
Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
skybob has a spectacular aura aboutskybob has a spectacular aura about
skybob's Tacoma Gallery
Usually they won't pull you over for only flaps, if your tires stick out obnoxiously, and you drive like a jack ass, you'll get hit for everything. Usually even if they do pull you over it's only a fix it ticket, put some flaps on, get it signed off by an officer
Old 04-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
jrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shedjrobson is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jrobson's Tacoma Gallery
Every state is different. Alabama could care less what your truck or car looke like.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
I think you should be fine since your from another state.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skybob View Post
Usually they won't pull you over for only flaps, if your tires stick out obnoxiously, and you drive like a jack ass, you'll get hit for everything.
I hope this isn't too obnoxious. I put on Bushwackers to get the best coverage I could. But they still stick out a little. If I drop a penny from the fender, it hits the tread. But like I said, I drive like an old man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobson View Post
Every state is different. Alabama could care less what your truck or car looks like.
Uh, that would be why I posted the question in the "SouthWest regional forum. But thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW_FIREFIGHTER View Post
I think you should be fine since you're from another state.
Hope so. The EJS safari newspaper says that most Law-Enforcement confrontations have to do with how the vehicle is driven, not how it's equipped. Guess I'll cross my fingers and hope that's the case.

Any other Utahans ...Utahites? ...Utahers? ...Utah-Dwellers?? with any input?
Old 04-09-2011, 10:47 AM   #6
as in Gobias some coffee
gobias will become famous soon enoughgobias will become famous soon enough

Name: Matt
gobias's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmoose View Post
I hope this isn't too obnoxious. I put on Bushwackers to get the best coverage I could. But they still stick out a little. If I drop a penny from the fender, it hits the tread. But like I said, I drive like an old man.

That looks fine. As long as your flares do a decent job of covering the cops here won't bug you.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:03 PM   #7
street taco
metric310 is on a distinguished road
Name: Alejandro
metric310's Tacoma Gallery
on a side note. my gf works at home depot. she said 1 time a cop showed up at the parking lot and started measuring all the lifts on the trucks and started giving tickets for no mud flaps
Old 04-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
So I was at the Jeep Safari and it totally turned out to be a non-issue.

Lots of guys remove their fenders for the trail runs, even if they otherwise have 'em, and lots of guys are driving "trailered" rigs around on the street before and after trail runs. So I expect this setup wouldn't hold water for anyone living in UT, but for a one-week visit from out of town it seemed to be no worries.