Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Off Road Trailer Build

Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
Yah, i thought the tacoma shocks would be too long. But I'll see if I can get them in there. If not, I'll find some cheap ones on craigslist.

I sold my old tacoma leaf springs a while back. So I ended up getting some old jeep leaf springs off CL. From reading a bunch of trailer build threads they seems to work good for what I'm making.

I'm ganna build this trailer to fit bigger tires than 31"s. I just got these because they were the cheapest tires I could get in this size and hub pattern. Whoever buys it from me will probably end up putting at least some A/T on them. hopefully 33" or 35"
that's exactly what i did. got some wheels and tires from a tacoma off craigs list for $80. putting a set of 33'' MTs on it soon. I built it to fit 35s without an issue, but i need to tow it between Virginia and Florida every once in a while and pulling 35s would be a mileage killer. i'll get 35s someday though. it's smart that you're building it to accept that size.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #22
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mreimann View Post
Yah, i thought the tacoma shocks would be too long. But I'll see if I can get them in there. If not, I'll find some cheap ones on craigslist.

I sold my old tacoma leaf springs a while back. So I ended up getting some old jeep leaf springs off CL. From reading a bunch of trailer build threads they seems to work good for what I'm making.

I'm ganna build this trailer to fit bigger tires than 31"s. I just got these because they were the cheapest tires I could get in this size and hub pattern. Whoever buys it from me will probably end up putting at least some A/T on them. hopefully 33" or 35"
ah, yeah those jeep springs are probably a lot stiffer than taco springs with 150k on them

keep up the good work!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #23
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-14-2011, 03:07 PM   #24
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
I have no idea how old the springs are. All I know if they came off a jeep. But they seem a lot stiffer than my old springs. So hopefully they really are

But hey, if they're too soft, I can just add in the overload leaf springs, or get an AAL.

So I just finished welding on the rear hanger bushings and one of the front hangers. I just need to get another drill bit and finish the left side.

Then I'm ganna move on to finishing the frame reinforcement.

......I also still need to order the coupler so I can actually hook it up to my truck
Old 06-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #25
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ohhh and updated first post
Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #26
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
MOAR!!!!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:43 PM   #27
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
How much do you think you have invested in the steel thus far? I want a camping, non off road trailer to take my girl and her kids and all the camping things to some camping areas and there is a home depot special with 14 inch wheels for just at 600 bucks. It's bare bones and not hardly a boxed frame that is rated for 1300 Lb max I think it's a 6X8 with a tall gate at the rear for a lawn mower loading type application. I would much rather build one of my own it I could save some money. Thanks
Kevin
Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #28
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet trailer. Just thinking out loud here, but is a straight axle necessary, or can it have a bend in the middle for extra ground clearance?
Old 06-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #29
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Matt, you never cease to amaze us
Old 06-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #30
vv I think it's growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Sweet trailer. Just thinking out loud here, but is a straight axle necessary, or can it have a bend in the middle for extra ground clearance?
This is a "straight" axle, but there is a slight bend in the tube to correct the tire camber. I could have gone with a torsion set up, but even if you were able to crack this thing over a rock. it's only 85$ for a new axle. You just have to reset the spring perches.

And Monkeysuncle, I've probably put in about 900 so far. Still have some steel to buy and also the 250$ coupler. I'm estimating it to be around the 1500 range when it's complete.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 PM   #31
Manlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManlaan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
Manlaan's Tacoma Gallery
As far as drill bits go, I've had some pretty good luck with the Dewalt Cobalt bits. They claim they're rated for hardened steel. Made five 1/2" holes in 1/4" steel just fine for me and still seems plenty sharp. Dont confuse these with the titanium bits which are rated for softer metals. (I blew through two of the titanium making the other 9 holes - going through the weld on the back side of the tube really killed the bits where the Cobalt handled it just fine.)

I was able to find them at Lowes. Home Depot didn't have them over here.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #32
Plastidipped ma Hootus!
kmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shedkmok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
kmok's Tacoma Gallery
subd
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 PM   #33
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
Quote:
Originally Posted by colinb17 View Post
Nice start!

I'm just putting the finishing touches on mine. already go to wheel it once to find some of the weak points, and have since made them stronger/given them protection.

i'm actually running the same size wheels/tires, just on a 6000lb axle and spindles becasue it's a 4x8' inclosed with an exocage which gives it some substantial weight.

i'll tell you because i tried the same thing.......tacoma rear shocks are going to be really hard to fit with the frame design and ride height you'll be at. if you want to fir them in an affective way (i should have done this), make your axle about 6 inches too wide on each side and make a shock hoop on the outside of the frame for them to mount to.

i'm excited to see where you take this! keep up the good work.
I would like to see how you built this enclosed trailer with the exocage. I have been wanting to build a small enclosed trailer but wasn't sure of the best way i should go about doing it.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:53 PM   #34
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-15-2011, 05:45 AM   #35
Ditch Doctor
medic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmedic2230 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS:
Name: Murph
medic2230's Tacoma Gallery
Trailer is coming along nicely.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:46 AM   #36
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I would like to see how you built this enclosed trailer with the exocage. I have been wanting to build a small enclosed trailer but wasn't sure of the best way i should go about doing it.
this was about a month ago. was still working on the taillight guards and hadn't put the kickouts on it yet
Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #37
vv I think it's growing

Small update.

Got both spring hangers made and welded on. I'm getting started on the u-bolt plates but that might take a while.

And yes, those are the chrome dubbs this thing is rolling on

Old 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #38
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin' Good...
Old 06-18-2011, 03:01 PM   #39
vv I think it's growing

Got it rolling last night. And my hitch arrived today, so I can get that all hooked up.

My dad is helping me out today so we should make some solid progress.

Hopefully we can at least get the frame cleaned, add the fenders and get it ready for paint.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #40
trdkrupp is on a distinguished road

Army: CBRN Technician, 2-44 ADA
Name: Nate
trdkrupp's Tacoma Gallery
Looks real good