Tacoma Moab Gathering 2013

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Regional Discussion > Regions > South West

Notices

Off Road Trailer Build

Old 06-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #1
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mreimann's Tacoma Gallery
Off Road Trailer Build

Most Recent:

The reason I'm posting in this section is because this trailer will be for sale once I move back up to Colorado. (so anyone in Colorado who's interested, start saving pennies!)

Specs
4x6 frame
1/8" sheet metal floor
14 ga. Sides
Max Coupler hitch
3500 lb axle
6 on 5.5 hubs
265/65/16 tires
Jeep leaf springs
5" shackles
6" shocks
2.5' bucket with a lid on hinges
Tailgate
Open tongue box storage
Jerry cans on each side
Rear receiver hitch for bike racks/storage racks
Roof rack (should fit a roof top tent)
Roof cargo rack
Hi-Lift mounts
Quick fists for a shovel/axe

Frame

Leaf springs, they're going to be spring over, this was just to see how they line up on the frame. they actually span a lot of the frame, so hopefully this thing will have good articulation. The shackles are about 5"

Corner Gusset

Tongue bracing. Still need to add some more

I ended up taking the smallest leaf out of the pack because I didn't need it and it was more likely to get caught up on rocks
Thats about where the springs are going to be mounted on the trailer. About 4" back from center

Tongue stand that I picked up. It locks down like that or you pull the pin and spin it up 90* and replace the pin. Keeps it up out of the way. Obviously I'm not mounting it there because of the big support right next to it

Sweet shackle bushings that will be welded to the frame. They have a grease zerk as well. too bad I have to take them apart to weld them on. ooops.

Spring perches tacked on

I picked up a u-bolt kit, but need to make a new plate because the one in the package doesn't fit around the leaf springs.

Re-painting the springs

My lamp post painting stand

These guys are all welded in. Now I can actually assemble the bushings for real haha

Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #2
What about my Member???
NaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shedNaYoung is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NaYoung's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-11-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Hold my beer and watch this
TanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTanSR5x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: William
TanSR5x4's Tacoma Gallery
YES!!! good thread! subd and ready to see the progress

man ive been wanting to do this for so long! maybe ill get the courage after yours

oh and 4x6? kinda small? 5x 8 would be badass! like M416 trailer specs
Old 06-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #5
vv I think it's growing
mreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shedmreimann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

it's bigger than it sounds. But I didn't want to go too wide, otherwise it would have problems in tight trails.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #7
vv I think it's growing

Today I picked up a wider axle. I had a 67" but the tires cleared the frame by less than 1.5" so I picked up a 71". Today I'm hoping to fabricate the front leaf springs hangers. I picked up some DOM sleeves and bushings to mount the rear shackle to the frame. Also got some u-bolts. Now all I have to do is line it all up and weld.

Today I also picked up some sheet metal and other stuff to finish the frame and support pieces.

I might also work on the little side tables and fenders today.

I also just took some good pictures of the work I've done so far. So i'll put those up later
Old 06-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #8
vv I think it's growing

updated first post.

I'm preparing the springs for fresh paint and need to pick up a drill bit before I can finish making the spring hangers and get the axle hooked up.
Old 06-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
4Runner Pilot
YFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYFZ_TRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lee
YFZ_TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I built a motorcycle/quad trailer in high school last year. Its about 6'4" by 8'. And I also just finished a 12'x8' two place snowmobile trailer. I was thinking of building a smaller offroad trailer like this as well.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
vv I think it's growing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster46 View Post
I built a motorcycle/quad trailer in high school last year. Its about 6'4" by 8'. And I also just finished a 12'x8' two place snowmobile trailer. I was thinking of building a smaller offroad trailer like this as well.
Right on. It's not as complicated as it seems.

So I got that u-bolt pack yesterday and found out the plate is drilled for thin leaf springs. So it looks like I'll be making my own :/

Every drill bit I buy burns out in less than 5 uses. It's really annoying. I even broke down and got a 33$ step bit.....and it dulled out before I could get through all the steps....wtf. I'm only drilling 3/16" metal. This shouldn't be happening.

But on the bright side. I almost have the springs finished. I fully welded the spring perches and most the of the leaf spring parts are done with paint.

Now I just have to finish making the front spring hangers and cut out some u-bolt plates.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Nice start!

I'm just putting the finishing touches on mine. already go to wheel it once to find some of the weak points, and have since made them stronger/given them protection.

i'm actually running the same size wheels/tires, just on a 6000lb axle and spindles becasue it's a 4x8' inclosed with an exocage which gives it some substantial weight.

i'll tell you because i tried the same thing.......tacoma rear shocks are going to be really hard to fit with the frame design and ride height you'll be at. if you want to fir them in an affective way (i should have done this), make your axle about 6 inches too wide on each side and make a shock hoop on the outside of the frame for them to mount to.

i'm excited to see where you take this! keep up the good work.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:55 AM   #14
tacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomalex is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Alex
tacomalex's Tacoma Gallery
turn your drill to the slowest setting and take your time drilling the holes. if you got it going too fast it will just burn up the bits, you gotta give it time to actually cut into the metal
Old 06-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #15
If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
colinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcolinb17 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Colin
colinb17's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomalex View Post
turn your drill to the slowest setting and take your time drilling the holes. if you got it going too fast it will just burn up the bits, you gotta give it time to actually cut into the metal
some cutting oil never hurts either.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #16
Drewschyf is on a distinguished road
Name: Drew
Drewschyf's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-14-2011, 12:20 PM   #17
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
ok done deal. I'll sell my crappy utility trailer, and use the money for material to build one like this. mine just needs to haul junk, and my boat..
Old 06-14-2011, 12:25 PM   #18
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
very nice!

Use oil when drilling, it will help your bits last.

I built a jetski trailer last summer using my old tacoma leaf springs (no shocks). I have 2 stand up jet skis on it and some small diamond plate boxes on the front and the springs were WAY too soft for the weight. I ended up flipping the overload leaf over and now they will hopefully be stiff enough. Just a heads up if you intend on putting a lot of weight in this thing.

Edit: also I made my own u-bots out of all thread. Really easy and cheaper than buying them, plus they are custom fit to the axle.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:28 PM   #19
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
So far so good Matt!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 PM   #20
vv I think it's growing

Yah, i thought the tacoma shocks would be too long. But I'll see if I can get them in there. If not, I'll find some cheap ones on craigslist.

I sold my old tacoma leaf springs a while back. So I ended up getting some old jeep leaf springs off CL. From reading a bunch of trailer build threads they seems to work good for what I'm making.

I'm ganna build this trailer to fit bigger tires than 31"s. I just got these because they were the cheapest tires I could get in this size and hub pattern. Whoever buys it from me will probably end up putting at least some A/T on them. hopefully 33" or 35"