1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Utah Meet ‘n Greet/Trail Run #8 July 29th / 30th

Discussion in 'South West' started by JasoTaco, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Jun 16, 2011 at 11:10 PM
    JasoTaco

JasoTaco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    PICS ARE UP! (Page 6)
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/so...trail-run-8-july-29th-30th-6.html#post3512467

Utah Meet ‘n Greet/Trail Run #8 American Fork Canyon

If you want my contact info PM me.

Date:
    Friday 29th/Saturday 30th of July

Time:
    Friday a group will be meeting Cabelas at 6:00 to meet up as a group and head up to a camping spot.

Saturday meet up with non campers at at camp by at least 10:00am

Camping out with everybody in Moab on the last trail run was such a blast I thought it would be fun to get another group together for a trail run / camp out.

We will be camping here.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=U...FUq6agIdzyJZ-Q&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=17&t=h&z=15

40.549008, -111.598880
    +40° 32' 56.43", -111° 35' 55.97"

Attendees:
    JasoTaco (Jason) Friday & Saturday
    Manlaan (Greg & Z) Friday & Saturday
    Yotadvl (Jesse) Friday & Saturday
    maxamillion2345 (Max)

Maybe / Unconfirmed
    schaueelab
    Zac808 (Zac) Happy B-day even if you can't make it.
    TDOGGY (Travis)
    Drunknsloth
    ViperJay (Chris)
    mj918 (Meg)
    DocCisco (David)
    Beast (Mark)
    WW_FIREFIGHTER (Danny)

To any and all that have not come out to a Utah meet you are missing out. These meets are a ton of fun and great oppurtunity to meet some really good people that love Tacomas.

American Fork – I don’t know the area that well so I would rely on others on this.
    Here are some pics from the last American Fork trail run

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/so...icial-utah-meet-greet-trail-run-pictures.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/south-west/118366-utah-meet-greet-5-october-23rd-24th-official.html

2. Jun 17, 2011 at 9:19 PM
    schaueelab

schaueelab Active Member

Member:
    slc utah
    Vehicle:
    2004 double cab
    I personally think the mountains would be better.....Desert=Hot..Hot..Hot in july....just my thoughts...

3. Jun 18, 2011 at 9:11 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    American Fork "should" be open by then. (rumor is it that Alpine loop is opening mid next week, and the trails the week after)

The other thing we need to think about is when we camp somewhere on BLM land is the size of the group. Since it is posted/organized on the forums, I'm pretty sure BLM would require a permit. But along those same lines, BLM might also require a permit to do anything together. I think it just all depends on the size of the group. We've really never gone larger than about 6-10 trucks on public land. (wtf kinda country are we in where we have to have a permit to organize on public land...)

While in American Fork, since it is a paid entrance, we would already have that permit, so to say, and there wouldn't be any legal issues with all of us camping together.

Anyway, just something else to think about and if we are thinking about little moab/5 mile, a quick count and a call might be prudent to see how they feel about it.

As far as counts go, Z will be coming, and I invited a 4runner guy at work as well.

4. Jun 18, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
  5. Jun 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM
    schaueelab

schaueelab Active Member

Member:
    slc utah
    Vehicle:
    2004 double cab
    BLM is public land therefore you dont need permits for anything....pubic land is pretty much free game...

6. Jun 19, 2011 at 8:47 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
    For individuals, yes, but not for anything organized.

http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/salt_lake/recreation/special_recreation.html

As per http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?t=82774 because the event is being organized in a forum, it would be considered an organized group activity. It really does come down to the number of people though, as no one is going to care about a half dozen trucks, but make it two dozen and there's going to be issues with the state. No clue where the cut off line is before its considered a group.

7. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:03 PM
    schaueelab

schaueelab Active Member

Member:
    slc utah
    Vehicle:
    2004 double cab
    but are we concidered a club??

8. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:13 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    ToyTec Ultimate 3" Lift -TSB Rear springs - TRD Cold Air Intake - TRD Skid Plate - Total Chaos Upper Control Arms - 2 Hella Rallye 4000 lights (130W Bulbs) - Clear Bra - Under Coat - Bed extener - Toyota Bed Mat - Weathertech floor mats - Tailgate hose clamp & washer mod - PIAA Fog Lights - ScanGauge II - Beefed Sliders - Differential Breather Mod - Heated Seats - All-Pro Bumper - Warn M8000 Winch with wireless controls - Boztec Diff Skid - ATO skids
    Greg is correct about the BLM and requiring permits. I was talking to a member of the Mojave Underground and they ran into the same problem. I'll make some phone calls and see what I can find out.

Personally I thing the permit thing is B.S. unless it’s for groups that could have a serious impact on an area like the races on the salt flats of the large ATV dirt bike races out in the desert etc. and or for profit events.

9. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:29 PM
    schaueelab

schaueelab Active Member

Member:
    slc utah
    Vehicle:
    2004 double cab
    I agree...but are we not just a bunch of "friends" goin on a camping trip..that all happen to have good taste in trucks...

10. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:45 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road

I like your style! :cheers:

11. Jun 19, 2011 at 9:49 PM
    Zac808

Zac808 Custom User Title

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Viva Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD DC SB 4x4
    In my sig
    My birthday is around then. Hmmm, what a great way to celebrate. I will be keeping my eye on this thread.

12. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
    Club is only given as one type of example. It would be an organized group activity if over a certain number of people.

Good theory, and it might work, but it would be completely up to the police that come to investigate to decide if we were a group or not. My guess is that anymore than a few trucks and it would be reported as a group. Its just not worth the risk.

Completely agree. Did you read through that pdf on the site explaining the requirements for groups? It is pretty insane. $500 deposit, liability insurance, etc.... Who knows how much of that thye'd make a small group do, but its still in the document, so they could easily require all of that if its a group of 2 or a group of 2000.

13. Jun 19, 2011 at 10:20 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
    Overall though, it really does come down to what they consider a minimum group size. RME said something about 25 people in order to be a group, which we wont have half of that, but the event has been publicly announced as well, which would require it to have a permit and insurance.

14. Jun 20, 2011 at 12:22 PM
    metric310

metric310 street taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Alejandro
    clinton, ut
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner lifted, bumping loud
    3' lift, 10 inch subs, custom TRD sticker, BHLM, leather arm mod, pioneer avic 700 stereo, 5% tint all around
    Im down for Farmington.

15. Jun 20, 2011 at 1:26 PM
    Yota_dvl

Yota_dvl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Utah
    Vehicle:
    03' Ext cab 4x4
    SAS KIT - trail-gear 5" lift alcan springs greasable shackels gears front 410 rear 411 Kicker subs 3,000 mile drive to Alaska, 3,000 back "Mod" rear diff breather
    - American Fork gates STILL NOT OPEN DO NOT BELIEVE THEIR WEB SITE !!!
    you can go up the back side though, pretty much hit Heber, from there hit cascade springs, from there go backwards up that trail some of us hit last year where is ran threw that river. though you run into snow that stops you from traveling any farther as of 6-19-11 - add the month for when we want to go and we could do there... but most of us hit A.F. canyon last year .. do we want to repeat ? I'm game for anywhere dont get me wrong but i'd rather go somewhere new

16. Jun 20, 2011 at 1:30 PM
    Yota_dvl

Yota_dvl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Central Utah
    Vehicle:
    03' Ext cab 4x4
    SAS KIT - trail-gear 5" lift alcan springs greasable shackels gears front 410 rear 411 Kicker subs 3,000 mile drive to Alaska, 3,000 back "Mod" rear diff breather
    have we ever really cared or gotten in trouble for being considered a "group" ? so why all the worry and fuss now? i once heard anything over 11 vehicles is considered a "group / party / club/ parade / ect" and as long as we aren't doing anything stupid or something the average joe wouldn't do we shouldn't get in trouble. we can pick to go places that not a lot or people are, hence people that'd care for us to have permits.
    we'll just stick to the one guy invited two guys who invited two guys who invited two more... that all have same taste in trucks theory

17. Jun 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
    There are a few reasons why.

We, or at least I, didn't know about the law until recently. I was under the assumption that public land is "do anything you like", which is completely wrong.

We've never done anything where the group of us will be staying in one place for an extended period of time, so we either got lucky, or were under the "group" size so no one cared. Camping out as a large group will attract outsiders to make sure we aren't doing anything wrong.

In the end, isn't it better to be safe and legal, than to risk getting a fine and putting a negative outlook upon our hobby? Not only does taking the proper methods show that we're law abiding, but it also shows the BLM that we do use the land and we are responsible (or at least willing to accept responsibility for our actions).

I agree that it is the wrong thing for the BLM/Forest Service/government/anyone else to try to restrict, but doing whatever we want isn't the correct solution unless the goal is to get everyone completely banned.

18. Jun 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    JasoTaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I called the BLM today and have some good news . We can easily get a permit at no charge. I got the impression from the individual I was talking to that she was surprised I was even calling regarding a permit because; obviously most groups don’t follow the law. It typically takes about 10 days for a permit but I wouldn’t be surprised if that could be pushed.

From what the individual at the BLM told me the permit we need is for groups less than 50 people which I don’t foresee us ever exceeding. They said they would e-mail me the forms but have yet to receive them so I’ll send them an e-mail requesting the forms.

19. Jun 20, 2011 at 11:31 PM
    Manlaan

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    See Signature
    Cool. Its good to know we wont get in trouble. :)

20. Jun 20, 2011 at 11:53 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I hope I'm free that weekend!!:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top